What's your next brew

I'm about to sparge!
20220814_095424.jpg

I have 1 fermenter free, so contemplating something that can handle the same temperatures as my saison. Probably something belgium. I think it's too warm for bry97 :rolleyes:
Suddenly heated up here. Today's max got to 39 oC (102 oF)

I've got a couple all-grain batches waiting for me to drag out the dragon. Completely forgot what one of them was, but pretty sure I got the recipe here. All I gotta do is figure out how to do it if I can't find the recipe.

Herm's wheat is on hold...
For now, I'll need something that likes the same fermenting temps as my saisons. Looking at doing a Belgian (pale) ale with mangrove jack M47

I'll be attempting a hefeweizen! Haven't tried this in quite some time... It's been the beer I can't quite nail. Going to try a double decoction mash in hopes that it will help me achieve that nice maltiness I've been wanting in this beer. Also, I think I'll split the batch into two fermenters - one closed and the other open! I want to see how differently the yeast behaves open/closed!

Might have to wait a couple weeks though as I have plans over the next two weekends :(

I'll be attempting a hefeweizen! Haven't tried this in quite some time... It's been the beer I can't quite nail. Going to try a double decoction mash in hopes that it will help me achieve that nice maltiness I've been wanting in this beer. Also, I think I'll split the batch into two fermenters - one closed and the other open! I want to see how differently the yeast behaves open/closed!

Might have to wait a couple weeks though as I have plans over the next two weekends :(
I use 4 oz of Melanoidin to enhance the maltiness as a replacement for the double decoction. I do use a three-temperature step mash though.

I use 4 oz of Melanoidin to enhance the maltiness as a replacement for the double decoction. I do use a three-temperature step mash though.
I have done this in the past too. My most recent beer, Munich Dunkel , in which I did a double decoction came out great! I recently poured a pint and couldn't help but think of how much I could taste melanoidin malt - so I know it works and I have some on hand... but I really enjoyed my last double decoction and am looking forward to doing it again.

Next time I feel like simplifying the process I will certainly just sup in the melanoidin and fore-go the decoctions. :)

Brewing a victory pale ale after work, and an amber lager next week

Thinking of brewing ginger Ninger.
@Ward Chillington did you end up brewing it?
Got a visitor comming and thought this is what I'll brew up.

Edit OK he don't like ginger....
Maybe not so blonde ale hmmm

Not yet buddy...bottling the dark mild today ..

Next time I feel like simplifying the process I will certainly just sup in the melanoidin and fore-go the decoctions. :)

From everything I've read, decoc's are not a necessary step any longer since the quality of malts have been perfected to such a level where a single infusion is all it takes to get the sugar out. If you are doing it to overcome an inability in your set up's design like me where I have no way to directly heat up my mash for steps to do multiple rests, then they still serve a purpose....just take care not to splash yourself....that boiled mash will leave a mark!

Not yet buddy...bottling the dark mild today ..

From everything I've read, decoc's are not a necessary step any longer since the quality of malts have been perfected to such a level where a single infusion is all it takes to get the sugar out. If you are doing it to overcome an inability in your set up's design like me where I have no way to directly heat up my mash for steps to do multiple rests, then they still serve a purpose....just take care not to splash yourself....that boiled mash will leave a mark!

I had read this many times too which had kept me from bothering. BUT I had also read though that some still (including pro brewers) use it and stand by the practice. I recently tried it on a Munich Dunkel (all Dark Munich Malt) and can certainly taste it! It is not only in the taste but also the mouthfeel + body. As for the taste - it is just like melanoidin malt which can certainly achieve the same results but the body and mouthfeel is not quite the same.

I liked the brew day process too though it did make a longer, more laborsome brew day , it was fun. I have some floor-malted pilsner that will probably benefit from the process. I'll keep trying it on my recipes and slowly decide which ones need it and which don't.

Oh yeah...your boat...your beer...float it how you want! I can and have raised my rests with water additions, specifically with @J A 's stout recipe and it worked great on my 3 tier, double Igloo cooler set up but have considered the ease of directly heating a mash tun but....I'm lazy...and cheap!

Back