something like sam smith's nut brown ale

If you start that yeast low, you can let it raise to room temp fairly quickly. It does fine at 60 degrees, but it's quite nice at mid-high 60s. Only time you'll run into trouble is pitching higher than about 68 and letting it run up from there very quickly. It needs some warm temp to finish and not get stuck, so don't keep it too cool and don't let the temp fluctuate and drop until it's definitely at FG.
great, i didn't see a prob pitching that low since the yeast was already frisky and i know the keg solution will warm up on it's own within 24 hrs. i'm looking to keep the ambient temp at ~67 after krausen

Reactions: J A
That'll be perfect.

i've bottled the ss nut brown ale over a week ago. it measured 1.012 fg. and tastes way better than the mr beer kit at this point.
i did chill a bottle of the mr beer churchill ale and it was pretty darn good, well carbonated but still had a bit of a sharp taste. i'm gonna let it condition for 2 more weeks and try again. that will be a total of 6 weeks.
i've decided to brew the ss nut brown ale again with some minor changes. i'll add 4oz c-pils to the steep. some burton water salts, not sure how much yet. and i'll use real east kent golding hops instead of us goldings.
i'm waiting on some cascade hop rhizomes for planting. i dig growing stuff.

Go to your recipe edit page, click recipe tools, click share, check URL box, click apply, copy and paste URL to whatever post you're sharing the recipe in. That way we can see exactly what you're doing...or intending to do, anyway. :)

click all 3 check boxes

Opera Snapshot_2018-03-16_214938_www.brewersfriend.com.png

I didn’t see any snark. No worries.

That recipe looks great! Be sure you let us know how it turns out.
BTW...Irish moss isn't strictly necessary for extract brews. There's not much protein break material from just steeping and the S-04 does a good job of clearing stuff as it flocs. Not going to do any harm, but I'd save it for when you start mashing.
Keep it up...you seem to be on the right track. ;)

newhop.jpg
it's been over 7 weeks since i bottled the first ss nut ale. it's turned out pretty good, but has the body and mouth feel of spring water....
it does have good flavor tho and more than enough abv. i made one big mistake after bottling, after 3 days in the bottle i noticed 7 of them had no headroom, the beer was clear to the stopper. i kinda panicked and opened these bottles for just a few seconds to pour out a bit of beer. i didn't mark them to tell which ones i opened. the result (i think) was these 7 bottles weren't very carbonated. all in all it's drinkable, by me anyway....
my second batch of the ss nut ale was brewed with 4 oz c-pils. i'm hoping that helps. it will be in the bottle 2 weeks on 4/27. 4 more weeks to go. i made sure i left some headroom in this batch. i'm waiting for this batch to be tasted before i brew again.

my cascade hops are growing well, just got them on the twine 2 days ago

Last edited:
Reactions: J A
Live and learn man. Live and learn.

Mouthfeel can be lacking in extract brews. Increase the C-pils and/or add some Crystal 20 or 40 in the steep. If you're holding the steep at 150 or so for a while, you might do a mini-mash with some Maris Otter and a small quantity of flaked (rolled) oats. Also, if you've attenuated further than predicted, you may have thinner, more dry finish from that. Sometimes S-04 will go 80+ percent rather than the typical 70-75%. Hard to control for that, but there are some thing you can do.
Also, undercarbed beer always seems thin to me. Plenty of carb to stir up a good head will help a little.

my second batch of ss has turned out pretty good. i did add c-pils and it has much better body, but at this point is a little hop forward. i tried the trub bottle at just shy of 4 weeks. i'll let it mature more and hope the hops diminish a bit. i came up with a new recipe and would like some comment please. https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/643761/experiment
here's hoping the share work first time

Back