Show us your boil

Shady Boh ready to go!
20220324_132617.jpg

Well this brewday isn't going to plan I've started with more volume (I used my grain/water ratio for my starting volume not my actual BF calculated one) so I'm up on volume but for the first time EVER I've smashed me Hydrometer and yup I can't measure it lol!
I've got a finishing Hydrometer I gave my spare away so I know it's about 1.040
20220416_105348.jpg

Ah well it'll be beer right;)

Ben, you must always be careful with glass. Be safe my friend, maybe you should have a refractometer in your kit. Brew on.

Ben, you must always be careful with glass. Be safe my friend, maybe you should have a refractometer in your kit. Brew on.
Good call maybe the silver lining here:)
Man fist time in 10 years what's going on lol.

Well since brew day is sideways here's what I'm doing.
20220416_115345.jpg

Adding this 1kg of crystilized honey I was given.
Recipe calls for 600g raw sugar well I'm not sure on the sugar content of this honey so 1kg should do:D.

Oh my god, tell me that did not boil over. If not, that is as close as you can get.
Meaning the post above by @BenBe

View attachment 20817 Amber ale just getting going.
That picture brings up the age old question: Are we to skim the foam or not? Is it a hard and fast rule or might the answer be different for an extract brewer, partial mash, all grain sparge or no-sparge??

I honestly have never found an answer that I can completely get behind, so that leads me to believe that skimming the wort probably doesn't matter much.

For the record, I skim.

I do not skim. However, given that I ended up with 3 cups of debris at the bottom of my kettle, which actually stopped the flow of my ball valve, maybe I should have skimmed some of the foam. Those 3 cups of debris are the amount that I am short of my fermenter target volume. Oh well it looks like I hit my OG on the mark, so I’ll take that.

The foam isn't what clogged up your valve. The stuff on the bottom is.

The foam is primarily made of proteins, and some of those proteins are actually useful in the fermentation process to deliver a better mouth feel. I have found that skimming it makes the beer seem thin. So now I don't skim anymore.

But I will admit that the effect was very small, and could have been due to other reasons. However I noticed a pattern and reacted to it.

Back