Show us your boil

That picture brings up the age old question: Are we to skim the foam or not? Is it a hard and fast rule or might the answer be different for an extract brewer, partial mash, all grain sparge or no-sparge??
I honestly have never found an answer that I can completely get behind, so that leads me to believe that skimming the wort probably doesn't matter much.
For the record, I skim.

I don't think anyone really knows. Even the experts in homebrew magazines and podcasts give a definite "Maybe/Probably not" answer. I don't skim because no one has said it matters one way or the other.

I’m not going to do anything with the foam, it belongs to the wort. It was a weird batch that ran clear into the fermenter until the last bit, when the ball valve clogged. I poured that remainder into a glass quart measuring jar, and it was 3 cups of thick sludge. As I have for the past 3 batches, I added a half teaspoon of Irish moss at 15 minutes left in the boil. I wonder if my grains were crushed too fine?
Here is my OG sample - nice and clear
image.jpg

Technically pre-boil, mashing in a Belgian Dubbel Trubbel - Kitchen Sink. Appear to have missed the pre boil gravity, then realized I hadn’t temperature adjusted, so I through in a bit more brown sugar rather than a lot more. Cooling in an ice bath currently, and hoping when I check my post boil OG it is somewhat close to my target… :) science … or art …
823F7BA6-01DE-463C-BC13-C8431B876B73.jpeg

Pilsner and Citra SMaSH. The purpose of this batch and the next one is to determine the flavor difference between Pilsner malt and 2 Row. I've heard some brewers can't taste a difference. And 2 Row is easier to work with (better conversion in a single infusion mash and fewer DMS precursors), so if they're similar enough I might never use Pilsner malt again :)
20220714_103536.jpg

Andy's Murgy is Boiling wort smells lovely!
And 92% on extraction so happy with the short 40min mash oh and with a mash out lol!
20220806_133156.jpg

Expected preboil .037 hit .037 on the head loving it!

Last edited:

Back