Show us your boil

image.jpg
Herm’s Amber Ale is boiling, with hop spider holding the 60 minute bittering addition of Simcoe hops.

Well, OK, here's my Leffe Abbey Blond just reaching hot break ....
IMG_2861.JPG

and after hot break.
IMG_2862.JPG

Was too busy preventing boil over to catch the peak of hot break, but the foam came all the way to the top of the pot and went back down. Didn't leave much lacing on the pot, though. Foam stayed absolutely white until I added the bittering to it, then it turned a nasty looking brown-green, then back white again. Dunno why it would do that, but this stuff has chameleon foam. You can see some of the Warrior stuck to the side of the kettle.

Well, OK, here's my Leffe Abbey Blond just reaching hot break ....View attachment 18535
and after hot break. View attachment 18536

Was too busy preventing boil over to catch the peak of hot break, but the foam came all the way to the top of the pot and went back down. Didn't leave much lacing on the pot, though. Foam stayed absolutely white until I added the bittering to it, then it turned a nasty looking brown-green, then back white again. Dunno why it would do that, but this stuff has chameleon foam. You can see some of the Warrior stuck to the side of the kettle.
Man I never get boil overs try First Wort Hopping next Brew.
That's where you add boil hops to kettle after sparge I'm sure it stops or helps boil overs from happening.
Looks good mate.

Man I never get boil overs try First Wort Hopping next Brew.
That's where you add boil hops to kettle after sparge I'm sure it stops or helps boil overs from happening.
Looks good mate.
The boil over tends to happen right at hot break, when the worst first starts boiling. Pretty neat to watch the proteins coagulate and then come apart again. FWH isn't going to help much with a no-grain extract, and there's still a few of those I like. I went down that rabbit hole on YouTube, too. Until I'm a little better versed, I'm trying to stick pretty close to the recipe procedures. FWH can monkey around with bittering time or require more bittering hops in exchange for the temperature difference.

I normally keep the lid on while raising the temperature, so that it comes up faster without scorching, then pull the lid off around 90C so that I don't hold the bad vapors in once i reach boil and to help with reduction. If I'm not paying attention, on occasion hot break will foam up and remind me that I'm not paying attention. The hot break foaming may be the difference in using a burner versus electric heating. Dunno. I don't normally drop the bittering hops in and start the boil timer until after hot break, which sometimes causes a bit of a foam, but I'm usually expecting that and control it pretty good. I've got a monster of a burner that I'm convinced would melt the bottom of an aluminum pot. I can get about 5 batches of beer from one bottle of propane.

The boil over tends to happen right at hot break, when the worst first starts boiling. Pretty neat to watch the proteins coagulate and then come apart again. FWH isn't going to help much with a no-grain extract, and there's still a few of those I like. I went down that rabbit hole on YouTube, too. Until I'm a little better versed, I'm trying to stick pretty close to the recipe procedures. FWH can monkey around with bittering time or require more bittering hops in exchange for the temperature difference.

I normally keep the lid on while raising the temperature, so that it comes up faster without scorching, then pull the lid off around 90C so that I don't hold the bad vapors in once i reach boil and to help with reduction. If I'm not paying attention, on occasion hot break will foam up and remind me that I'm not paying attention. The hot break foaming may be the difference in using a burner versus electric heating. Dunno. I don't normally drop the bittering hops in and start the boil timer until after hot break, which sometimes causes a bit of a foam, but I'm usually expecting that and control it pretty good. I've got a monster of a burner that I'm convinced would melt the bottom of an aluminum pot. I can get about 5 batches of beer from one bottle of propane.
No not at all if anything it takes less hops as it's added after sparge at or around end mash out. Therefore longer issomerization time. Suspected smoother bittering as well but that my be a personal taste thing.

I can't remember a beer I've not FWHed you gotta chuck em in to bitter anyway might as well once the sparge is done.
It's just part of my brew process I see a few advantages to it so it's stayed.:)

No not at all if anything it takes less hops as it's added after sparge at or around end mash out. Therefore longer issomerization time. Suspected smoother bittering as well but that my be a personal taste thing.

I can't remember a beer I've not FWHed you gotta chuck em in to bitter anyway might as well once the sparge is done.
It's just part of my brew process I see a few advantages to it so it's stayed.:)
Might give that a try, then. So, do you leave the hops in during the boil, or remove them? Since I only have a kettle (no mash tun) and do my mashing in that, I have to use my fermenter as intermediate wort storage while I rinse out the kettle to get the grains out. I'm guessing that would probably be plenty time for the FWH, yes? I'm all about the bittering being smoother, for sure. Sometimes, Warrior gets a nasty ear-wax taste when it's boiled that long. But to get the AAU, gotta leave it in. I more like the hops taste than I do the bitter. To me, all the good stuff from the hops is probably boiling off leaving nothing but the bitters when a recipe calls for a 60 minute boil with hops in. FWH makes sense, and is something I may try on my next all-grain batch. Not gonna work on an extract batch, though, unless I drop 'em with the specialty grains.

Might give that a try, then. So, do you leave the hops in during the boil, or remove them? Since I only have a kettle (no mash tun) and do my mashing in that, I have to use my fermenter as intermediate wort storage while I rinse out the kettle to get the grains out. I'm guessing that would probably be plenty time for the FWH, yes? I'm all about the bittering being smoother, for sure. Sometimes, Warrior gets a nasty ear-wax taste when it's boiled that long. But to get the AAU, gotta leave it in. I more like the hops taste than I do the bitter. To me, all the good stuff from the hops is probably boiling off leaving nothing but the bitters when a recipe calls for a 60 minute boil with hops in. FWH makes sense, and is something I may try on my next all-grain batch. Not gonna work on an extract batch, though, unless I drop 'em with the specialty grains.
Yup so just add your bittering addition in the kettle once you transfer back the wort out of your Fermentor.
The calculator on here will calculate bitterness set it as FWH addition x boil time

Here
Screenshot_20211213-100806_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

Back