Show us your boil

Did a Rye Kolsch. Damn pipe came off and had to lift malt pipe out of water to retrieve and reconnect. Of course pump clogged but was able to unclog it after all. This is the biggest grain bill i have worked with (12.5 lbs).

Attachments

• E42FEC7A-D343-4056-AA75-6FBA095B7A47.jpeg
    E42FEC7A-D343-4056-AA75-6FBA095B7A47.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 47
  • F775A175-90F9-4C6E-A354-98AAC9FB7B68.jpeg
    F775A175-90F9-4C6E-A354-98AAC9FB7B68.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 48
Did a Rye Kolsch. Damn pipe came off and had to lift malt pipe out of water to retrieve and reconnect. Of course pump clogged but was able to unclog it after all. This is the biggest grain bill i have worked with (12.5 lbs).
Ha! That's happened to me. Nothing like teaching into 155 F grain to fish out a metal tube.

I've managed to get almost 14 lbs into my BZ35, but man that was the hairy edge. I try to shoot for under 12.5 to keep from overflowing the malt pipe.

Ha! That's happened to me. Nothing like teaching into 155 F grain to fish out a metal tube.

I've managed to get almost 14 lbs into my BZ35, but man that was the hairy edge. I try to shoot for under 12.5 to keep from overflowing the malt pipe.
Haha! I was really panicking at that moment.... Later on the pump clogged right at the time of flame out.... somehow turning on and off the pump unclogged it. That was panic moment #2, both a good learning experience that necessitated a beer later once i was done.

Haha! I was really panicking at that moment.... Later on the pump clogged right at the time of flame out.... somehow turning on and off the pump unclogged it. That was panic moment #2, both a good learning experience that necessitated a beer later once i was done.
Yes, my pump clogs somewhat regularly. Turning it on and off is one way, the first thing I try. Second is to back flush it: I normally use the recirculating arm with a piece of silicone hose on it, so what I do is use my mouth (carefully!) to blow some liquid backwards through the pump (with it off, of course) to break up any 'lumps' of grain or whatever. In any case, I've always managed it, somehow.

Yes, my pump clogs somewhat regularly. Turning it on and off is one way, the first thing I try. Second is to back flush it: I normally use the recirculating arm with a piece of silicone hose on it, so what I do is use my mouth (carefully!) to blow some liquid backwards through the pump (with it off, of course) to break up any 'lumps' of grain or whatever. In any case, I've always managed it, somehow.
Seems easy enough, how hard do you blow?

No net? Wow, living dangerously... :D
I wish I would have bagged the hops. The Magnum hops that I just bought were only 11.7% AA, instead of the 18.2% AA that was in the recipe, so I nearly doubled the amount of hops (from 8 grams to 15 grams) at 60 minutes to achieve 42.5 IBU’s. After draining my kettle, there were 5 cups of sludge left. So, going forward, I will get back to bagging hops during the boil.

I wish I would have bagged the hops. The Magnum hops that I just bought were only 11.7% AA, instead of the 18.2% AA that was in the recipe, so I nearly doubled the amount of hops (from 8 grams to 15 grams) at 60 minutes to achieve 42.5 IBU’s. After draining my kettle, there were 5 cups of sludge left. So, going forward, I will get back to bagging hops during the boil.
Consider a stainless steel hops spider. Not cheaper or better than a bag, but lasts forever and won't discolor or take on a 'flavor'. Downsides include being yet another thing to store, upsides include somewhat better exposure of the hops to the wort and easier to empty and clean.

Consider a stainless steel hops spider. Not cheaper or better than a bag, but lasts forever and won't discolor or take on a 'flavor'. Downsides include being yet another thing to store, upsides include somewhat better exposure of the hops to the wort and easier to empty and clean.
Or... if you have the space increase your water to make up for the hops absorption. A quick whirlpool will get those hops to pile up in the middle of you kettle. Of course whatever works for you is best for you.

Or... if you have the space increase your water to make up for the hops absorption. A quick whirlpool will get those hops to pile up in the middle of you kettle. Of course whatever works for you is best for you.
My attempt at whirlpooling did not result in a tidy cone in the middle of my kettle. Probably has something to do with carrying my full kettle out to the deck to chill, then carrying the kettle back to the kitchen to transfer.

Back