Random thought for the day

I went to a regular bar tonight and realized how badly the brewery taprooms have spoiled me rotten. I guess I really am a beer snob now. Does rhis mean I need the 12 step program?
Yes. First step is to admit you are powerless when offered a good beer.

I went to a regular bar tonight and realized how badly the brewery taprooms have spoiled me rotten. I guess I really am a beer snob now. Does rhis mean I need the 12 step program?

Did you get that blank look when you asked the bartender if they had anything that was malt forward and session-ie.....and he was 2 feet from the Guinness tap handle?

Solar power is great, till you got that unexpected day with no sunshine!
70 mm rain and grey grey grey.
Flying ants are out in force and my oldest boy (13 year old Jack Russel) is out there supplementing his diet ;)
I can relate, 2 days of the same, had to set my unit to utility and feed off the grid

Learning to garden in the PNW is an adventure. Just last week I was hopeful for continued crops of tomatoes. After 3 consecutive mornings well below freezing (today and yesterday were both 27F, Saturday was 25F), my tomatoes are dead, so I pulled them. Potato plant that looked great a few days ago is dead (above ground, at least). Same story for a poblano pepper, and butternut squash. A habanero pepper that was started too late, but had some baby fruits bit the dust, too. This Autumn has been markedly different from last year. It is sad to see so many neighbors’ gardens hit the same way. I will chalk it up as a learning experience. The forecast calls for one more morning of below freezing temps, then the rain comes, and with it more moderate temperatures.

It's kind of strange having windows open for ventilation while brewing when the outside temp is 45F. I am glad my wife is at work, because she would be pissed that I have the kitchen windows open with a fan blowing.

Learning to garden in the PNW is an adventure. Just last week I was hopeful for continued crops of tomatoes. After 3 consecutive mornings well below freezing (today and yesterday were both 27F, Saturday was 25F), my tomatoes are dead, so I pulled them. Potato plant that looked great a few days ago is dead (above ground, at least). Same story for a poblano pepper, and butternut squash. A habanero pepper that was started too late, but had some baby fruits bit the dust, too. This Autumn has been markedly different from last year. It is sad to see so many neighbors’ gardens hit the same way. I will chalk it up as a learning experience. The forecast calls for one more morning of below freezing temps, then the rain comes, and with it more moderate temperatures.

It's kind of strange having windows open for ventilation while brewing when the outside temp is 45F. I am glad my wife is at work, because she would be pissed that I have the kitchen windows open with a fan blowing.
There are ways to protect the plant from cold temperatures, but 25° is a little too cold. Chalk it up to experience. Maybe some of the locals have some experience that like to share, perhaps over a homebrew?

Windows are open, fan is blowing and the heat is on? You sound like a homebrewer Herm!

Herm! Lol....Such a Rebel! What's next? Leaving the toilet seat up? I can relate with the garden though..we were 85 here on Friday and I'm stressing having not gotten out tonight to get the last of the peppers as the weather folks are calling for a scattered frost ... but replacing the dryer belt for Wifey was more pressing!

Last edited:
I saw in another thread that @Trialben used the word Gurney.
Interestingly, I learned this summer that the reason a gurney is called a gurney is that it was patented by a Mr. J. Theodore Gurney in 1883 in the USA.
This I learned as the Gurney family has a large cottage compound in the "Thousand Islands" region of the St. Lawrence river.
When we went to my buddy's cottage this September, he pointed out their island, and shared the story.
He said it was invented by Gurney, but my research only shows that it was patented by him.

I was thinking of reviving this thread. Craig beat me to it :)

Random but beer related thought:
Cooling down beer, no-chill, doesn't go particularly fast at 40+ oC
[Duh]

I was thinking of reviving this thread. Craig beat me to it :)

Random but beer related thought:
Cooling down beer, no-chill, doesn't go particularly fast at 40+ oC
[Duh]
I suppose it depends on where you're starting from. And perhaps how you define "cool".

I suppose it depends on where you're starting from. And perhaps how you define "cool".
Cold is anything below 28 oC, when I start wearing a jacket (82 F) ;)

Definition of "cool" in this case is getting to a temperature within the yeast range. Hence Voss kveik as a choice!

Here in Eugene, Oregon we are in the middle of a cold snap. For the past several days, high temps have been low to mid 40’s (F), with freezing just after sundown. Morning lows have been cold with widespread frost. This morning after sunrise it was 24, 22 on Sunday, 20 on Saturday and 24 on Friday - according to my backyard weather station. It has been difficult getting the inside temp above 62F without burdening our heat pump and 2 mini splits. So long sleeves and fleece jackets and wool beanies are being well used.

Here in Eugene, Oregon we are in the middle of a cold snap. For the past several days, high temps have been low to mid 40’s (F), with freezing just after sundown. Morning lows have been cold with widespread frost. This morning after sunrise it was 24, 22 on Sunday, 20 on Saturday and 24 on Friday - according to my backyard weather station. It has been difficult getting the inside temp above 62F without burdening our heat pump and 2 mini splits. So long sleeves and fleece jackets and wool beanies are being well used.
Are such low temperatures unusual for the area? Here in Atlanta I have a 100,000 BTU furnace that keeps up with the cold.

Are such low temperatures unusual for the area? Here in Atlanta I have a 100,000 BTU furnace that keeps up with the cold.
This is unusually cold, especially considering we’re still a few weeks from calendar winter. We will be OK, though.

Back