Random thought for the day

Oh boy, what fun
We had a small white blanket yesterday. Enough to send the cars spinning and the salt trucks spreading.

62F inside? Nuts! My poor nose would be running like a water faucet
To think we used to live in SoCal, where if it was below 68F in the house, my wife would say turn up the heat. We have acclimatized rather easily, putting cold weather clothing to use as needed.

Currently -4C here in the land of Hockey Sticks, Maple Syrup, and Neil Young!
Expecting a fair amount of the white sh@t tomorrow
We just got in from a night out, and it’s 26F according to the backyard weather station, so barely warmer than you Craigerrr. I bet we get close to 20F again tomorrow morning. Our skies are crystal clear, though, which probably exacerbates the issue.

We had ~20°F and 10" of snow yesterday.
32° and melting today.
I bet you get a lot of snow with the lake effect there, not like Buffalo I'm sure, but the prevailing west wind must bring it's share to you!
Hi from Cambridge Ontario!

1701286501035.png

We had ~20°F and 10" of snow yesterday.
32° and melting today.
Wow! Here in Eugene, it was below freezing this morning, but our cold snap is finally coming to its end. We should get some much needed rain and mountain snow starting tonight, with moderating temperatures. Overnight low temps will be warmer than the past week’s high temps.
And here I am brewing in the kitchen with the windows open to dissipate the steam, with outside temp of 40F.

I bet you get a lot of snow with the lake effect there, not like Buffalo I'm sure, but the prevailing west wind must bring it's share to you!
Hi from Cambridge Ontario!

View attachment 27459
I live in the what is called The Snow Belt.
The prevailing winds are from the north west picking up humidity and warmth from lake Erie. Then inland and at higher elevation, it cools down, turns into snow, and dumps on us.
I had 9-10" and for comparison, my shop, which is closer to the lake got 3-4".
As the bird flies, that's only about 13 miles away!
Still not nearly as bad as Buffalo though.
Cheers
Brian

What's simcoe like @Craigerrr?
I see it's not far south of Cambridge I rekon I'd love that town :D
it is a town of roughly 14,000, it is farming country there
very sandy soil, great for growing peppers, asparagus, tobacco, and peanuts too
we drive through Simcoe every weekend on the way to our trailer May to Oct, it is about an hour and 20 minutes, beautiful drive in the country, and minimal traffic as well. Smiley face isn't usually in the way...

1701367232671.png

Merriam-Webster's word of the day yesterday was "Tincture"

Tincture refers to a solution made by mixing a medicinal substance in an alcoholic solvent. It can also refer to a slight trace of something, as in “a tincture of doubt.”

Does that mean that oak chips, vanilla beans, etc. that we soak in vodka, bourbon, etc. are therefore medicinal?

Tincture refers to a solution made by mixing a medicinal substance in an alcoholic solvent. It can also refer to a slight trace of something, as in “a tincture of doubt.”

Does that mean that oak chips, vanilla beans, etc. that we soak in vodka, bourbon, etc. are therefore medicinal?
Sure are :)

I think it's the alcohol that's medicinal. You might deduct the cost on your taxes...

I am currently enjoying a bowl of barley porridge, enhanced with a little butter and maple syrup. The other day while shopping in a groovy local market with an incredible bulk selection, I found this flaked barley that is purported to be a good replacement for oatmeal. My wife and I enjoy oatmeal for breakfast at least twice a week. Though I am not looking to replace oats in my diet, I like variety. This particular strain of barley (I forgot the actual name) was developed just up Interstate 5 at Oregon State University in Corvallis. The outside of the flakes has an interesting blue hue that disappears when cooked. The cooked grains maintain their shape, with a chewy (think high fiber) texture and nutty flavor. This grain might be a good addition to soups and stews, too.

Last edited:

Absolutely ...yes!!!!

I am currently enjoying a bowl of barley porridge, enhanced with a little butter and maple syrup. The other day while shopping in a groovy local market with an incredible bulk selection, I found this flaked barley that is purported to be a good replacement for oatmeal. My wife and I enjoy oatmeal for breakfast at least twice a week. Though I am not looking to replace oats in my diet, I like variety. This particular strain of barley (I forgot the actual name) was developed just up Interstate 5 at Oregon State University in Corvallis. The outside of the flakes has an interesting blue hue that disappears when cooked. The cooked grains maintain their shape, with a chewy (think high fiber) texture and nutty flavor. This grain might be a good addition to soups and stews, too.
Try it in a stout

Back