Q1 2022 Brewersfriend Community Recipie.

I've been playing around with the recipe and my stock. There is no way I can get to the same colour as I only got simpson caramalt (EBC 40).
I came up with
8.4 lbs maris otter pale ale
1.1 lbs marit caramalt
1.0 lbs weevilly wheat malt
I could try roast a little barley.

I think I will be nowhere close to the intended recipe, but would it at least go somewhat in the right direction?

Hops are the next hurdle...

I've been playing around with the recipe and my stock. There is no way I can get to the same colour as I only got simpson caramalt (EBC 40).
I came up with
8.4 lbs maris otter pale ale
1.1 lbs marit caramalt
1.0 lbs weevilly wheat malt
I could try roast a little barley.

I think I will be nowhere close to the intended recipe, but would it at least go somewhat in the right direction?

Hops are the next hurdle...
You definitely can roast some barley BUT it's bloody hard to get a good even roast all the way through the kernel just turning them in the oven or such.
But soo worth a go IMHO .
You want to go pretty dark to replicate roasted malt this side of on fire if you get my drift.
It might smoke a bit too but turning regularly whilst at the end of the roast is key.
Then you want to put them in a brown paper bag or such to air for a week or two.

Story is using too soon from the kilning can impart an astringency/ acrid thing.

You definitely can roast some barley BUT it's bloody hard to get a good even roast all the way through the kernel just turning them in the oven or such.
But soo worth a go IMHO .
You want to go pretty dark to replicate roasted malt this side of on fire if you get my drift.
It might smoke a bit too but turning regularly whilst at the end of the roast is key.
Then you want to put them in a brown paper bag or such to air for a week or two.

Story is using too soon from the kilning can impart an astringency/ acrid thing.
Gotta be on the stove.
I was thinking cast iron skillet....
For my set up, I only need 25 gram or so (figures in previous post are calculated for 6.5 gallon pre-boil). It will be malted barley...

So brewed up the American Amber yesterday. I sure wasn't without it's obstacles one of them brew sessions I suppose. The power outlet shat itself so had to switch it into another 10amp outlet and cross my fingers itd get the job done. A bit of a short it looks like
20220109_064731.jpg

I took it apart and the switch mechanism seems to be fried ah well.

So OG come In at 1.050 a couple short on target for some reason it was targeting 19lt instead of my 21 even though I switched the target volume 21 in the fermentor.
Mashing
20220108_182730.jpg

Boiling
20220108_201213.jpg

Didn't get a hydrometer shot but it's def Amber.

It's sitting no chilling until I get that ferm chamber wired up.
Yeah did that in the wrong order lol.

So brewed up the American Amber yesterday. I sure wasn't without it's obstacles one of them brew sessions I suppose. The power outlet shat itself so had to switch it into another 10amp outlet and cross my fingers itd get the job done. A bit of a short it looks likeView attachment 18891

So OG come In at 1.050 a couple short on target for some reason it was targeting 19lt instead of my 21 even though I switched the target volume 21 in the fermentor.
Mashing View attachment 18892
BoilingView attachment 18893

Oh another thing that went sideways on yesterday's brew my Schwartz beer and my blonde kicked WTF

MentoRed sitting @68° in it's final clean up.
Pulled yeast and pitched into the Blonde ale on Friday.
Moving to cold crash @7psi on Tuesday.
Keg on Thursday or Friday.
So should be ready in just about a week or so.

So brewed up the American Amber yesterday. I sure wasn't without it's obstacles one of them brew sessions I suppose. The power outlet shat itself so had to switch it into another 10amp outlet and cross my fingers itd get the job done. A bit of a short it looks likeView attachment 18891

Mashing View attachment 18892
BoilingView attachment 18893

Maybe we should rename this to "Bumps in the road"! Haha

Back