Q1 2022 Brewersfriend Community Recipie.

I'll check today and set up to brew tomorrow.
Maybe I'll post some pictures.
I'm not sure if there's an easy way to post a picture directly from my phone?
I usually just copy and paste an image from my Google photos, but there has to be an easier way.
Someone Mentor me! Haha

I find this button useful :)
Screenshot_20211228-085051_Chrome.jpg

Interesting brew day as I blocked my chiller for the 1st time, but everything eventually worked out.
Went to Fermentor @1.053.
Pitched Apex San Diego @ 61° and will ferment @ 65°.
I'll check it in the morning, but expect vigorous fermentation by then.
Cheers

Last edited:
Pitched Apex San Diego @ 61° and will ferment @ 65°.
I'll check it in the morning, but expect vigorous fermentation by then.
Have you used the APEX much? I wouldn't mind an alternative to US-05 but some of the Pacific Ale strains can be a little slow or slightly finicky in terms of temperature. How's the ester profile compared with Chico strain, particularly US-05, which seems to have it's own particular flavor.

Have you used the APEX much? I wouldn't mind an alternative to US-05 but some of the Pacific Ale strains can be a little slow or slightly finicky in terms of temperature. How's the ester profile compared with Chico strain, particularly US-05, which seems to have it's own particular flavor.
I started using it about 7 months ago and am really pleased so far.
It ferments clean and aggressively up to 72° and I've actually had one ramp to 75° and still no issues.
I pitch and ferment low to slow it down a bit, but it doesn't seem to mind and has never stalled on me even at 63°.
Low ester production and none of the distinct peach I used to get from safale 05 on 1st generation.
I'm also using their London ale yeast. So far on a Bitter, a Stout and a Porter. Nice results as well with some nice woody undertones.
If you want to try it out, I can get it and it would sell for ~$65 for a 500gram brick. Some of their other strains a priced higher and I haven't used them yet because I don't want that much of a specialty yeast.
Hope that helps.

Back