Q1 2022 Brewersfriend Community Recipie.

Hi Brian,
I have converted your recipe for my kit and the nearest equivalent Grain type I have and adjusted amounts accordingly.

My problem would be much the same as anyone on this side of the pond is in the Hops choice.
German Magnum is not a big problem - I am going to use Chinook @ 12.5 AA - but American Blend escapes me. I have even scowered your web pages for hop names you may have used but without any clues. I would think USA Cascade would do but it all depends what sort of flavor you were aiming for. (Note I have spelled it the American way hehe).

Additionally I have substituted Munich for the American Victory. Would that be acceptable?
If you can't get victory, just toast up some two row in a 275° oven on a cookie sheet for about 20 minutes with a stir about 1/2 way through.
Then cool and let the cool grains rest overnight in a paper bag.
Or if that's too much work, Munich dark would be a better choice.

If you can't get victory, just toast up some two row in a 275° oven...
Biscuit is a good sub for victory, also. Victory has a little nuttier, slightly less sweet flavor contribution to my palate, than most of the similarly roasted malts.The toasted 2-row is definitely a good idea to get some nutty, bready notes without adding sweet/caramel flavors.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1230304/mentored-5-gallons

OK, I updated and scaled down to 5 gallons.
The last time I had this in 5 gallons was 2017.
Look at the notes in the recipe and I'll address any questions you have.
I'll be brewing this in the shop next week on my system and I should be ready mid January.
Complex malt bill and I'll trust you on it. It's lager season here, ground water is cold enough to chill to lager pitch temps.

Reactions: J A
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1230304/mentored-5-gallons

OK, I updated and scaled down to 5 gallons.
The last time I had this in 5 gallons was 2017.
Look at the notes in the recipe and I'll address any questions you have.
I'll be brewing this in the shop next week on my system and I should be ready mid January.
American Amber Ale. Never brewed one. But I’ll be setting aside some January time for this.

Like Nosy, I also thought the malt bill seemed a bit complex, but after looking into this style…maybe not so much. An American Barleywine, with a more drinkable ABV? An American Pale with a bit more malty presence?

Funny thing is, I have everything I need to brew this right now…except the Flaked Wheat. So I’ll ask @The Brew Mentor, What does the flaked wheat bring to the table in this beer and can you recommend a substitute? If it’s a key ingredient, I’ll happily order some.

Looking forward to it.

Same not brewed intentionally an American Amber and I rekon I've got all but the flaked wheat in stock ripper :).

I like the look of it and I might go the hop substitute of mosaic Amarillo if you don't mind @The Brew Mentor :rolleyes:.

I rekon this is a very approachable middle of the road beer pleaser I rekon itd sell well on the tap line up.

The flaked wheat adds a really nice creaminess to the head and it helps with the attenuation.
If you can't get it, I guess red wheat would be OK.

Same not brewed intentionally an American Amber and I rekon I've got all but the flaked wheat in stock ripper :).

I like the look of it and I might go the hop substitute of mosaic Amarillo if you don't mind @The Brew Mentor :rolleyes:.

I rekon this is a very approachable middle of the road beer pleaser I rekon itd sell well on the tap line up.
Mosaic/ Amarillo is an awesome combination, but there's something about the centennial that leaves something missing.
If that's what I had, I'd brew it, but centennial is awesome.

Complex malt bill and I'll trust you on it. It's lager season here, ground water is cold enough to chill to lager pitch temps.
You can lager it if you want, I like it as an ale though.
I like what the ale yeast brings to it.
A little more yeast characteristics servers this beer well

You can lager it if you want, I like it as an ale though.
I like what the ale yeast brings to it.
A little more yeast characteristics servers this beer well
Interesting, considering you have BRY-97 in the recipe. This is one of my favorite, most used yeasts because it attenuates well, is super clean, and clears up nicely. (What US-05 longs to be :)) I’ve never experienced any ale-like esters from this yeast. Or maybe that’s not what you mean?

Interesting, considering you have BRY-97 in the recipe. This is one of my favorite, most used yeasts because it attenuates well, is super clean, and clears up nicely. (What US-05 longs to be :)) I’ve never experienced any ale-like esters from this yeast. Or maybe that’s not what you mean?
Not sure if it's ester's or more just a less clean, fuller body, mouth feel.
You could lager an IPA or a pale ale as well, but is that what you want?

In general, this recipe is pretty flexible.
The reason I said American blend is because it seams like every time I would brew this, I'd end up using up random hops that I had and it always came out good. I've also left out the 5 minute addition for a less hoppy, more malt focused version. Comes out great!

On the yeast, I've done it mostly with WLP 001, but have used safale05, Bry 97 and most recently I've been using apex San Diego.
i've never lagered it and maybe Nosy will opt for that path.
I'm thinking bry97 should be available everywhere and it performs well, but others will work too.
Feel free to adjust a little based on your preference.
Cheers!

Going to have to give this a whirl, kind of behind right now, brewing a "Pub Ale"(basically an overcarbed ordinary bitter) on Sunday, I'll get it on the schedule...deer season to New Year's is usually pretty crazy for me.

Can confirm, damned cold out and my electric system in the garage struggles to maintain a boil.

Back