Q1 2022 Brewersfriend Community Recipie.

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Can you believe it this BFC recipe thing has lasted the year ha!

It's been packed full of delicious brew worthy hb beer this year with great veriety no not All Hoppy New world IPAs if anything none if we're still calling @HighVoltageMan! award winning Wayners a "pale ale" My IPAs don't even contain that many hops lol.

Yeah but what a great veriety a bit of a geographical homebrewing/drinking journey when you think of it. America with the Wayners - Belgium with the much acclaimed Man Piss Belgian Dubble by @AHarper - Poland with @Nosybear s historical (first time brewed for many) curveball Pivo Grodziski - Ireland with @ JA s Irish Red.
CHEERS TO THIS YEARS Brewersfriend Quarterly Beer Recipie Brewers and Contributors I'm sure they'll all be brewed again for sure.

OK so as per the coincidental ( thanks @Donoroto for recommending it)
Q1 2022 draw today on the monthly Zoom meeting

We have the Man who went all in and decided to finally have a crack and take this hobby to the next level
upload_2021-12-18_22-54-16.png

https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/attachments/upload_2021-12-18_22-53-56-png.18621/

The Brew Mentor!

So @The Brew Mentor Congratulations Man You have the privilege of kicking us off for the new 2022 Brewersfriend Quarterly brew year!!!
I look forward to your own Tried N tested Hombrew Offering

Cheers Merry Christmas and Happy N Safe New year!

Wow, thanks and what a great honor!
I'll start off by saying sorry for not being as active as I'd like to be.
The past couple of years have been a whirlwind to say the least.
I built an addition on my commercial building, moved my retail to that space, built out an entire bar and opened a new brewery! That's just scratching the surface. Oh and all during Covid!
Mentor Brewing Company is currently running 14 taps with 11 beers on, a cider, a seltzer and a hard lemonade.
So to the recipe....
I have hundreds of recipes that I could revisit and scale to 5 gallons but I'm open for style suggestions if anyone has any preferences.
I think an Ale make the most sense for a group.
I'll look at my recipes and any suggestions and get something up in the next week or so.
Thanks again and I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Cheers,
Brian

Last edited:
Pick one of YOUR favorites, and forget about making any of US happy. One goal is to expose others to new styles. Something you've brewed a few times before and really liked. Just try to keep it inside the broad definition of beer.

There are plenty of good ales but if your specialty is lagers, go for it. I almost did one last quarter but opted for the Irish Red primarily because I's been wanting to brew a "goldilocks" version of the recipe. It was interesting and instructive to see the slight variations and see how different or similar everyone's beers turned out.
There's nothing wrong with coming up with an accessible lager recipe that may provide a little extra challenge.

Last edited:
Awesome I'm glad your in brew Mentor hope you live up to your name :D!

Yup put forward whatever you love to brew and drink. I love the veriety of beers we've brewed already on the BFC recipie gig.
Most styles I've not tackled before in my HBing.

Cheers I look forward to what it it is.:)

Ok, that being said, I've decided.
One of my favorite styles that gets little attention is the American Amber.
This is kind of a brother to the APA.
It's a sessionable beer with wonderful malt balance and plenty of hops, but not overpowering.
Something that I can drink all year and multiple pints of, without it becoming too much.
I modified it and scaled it up to my current batch size, so I'll have to go back and see if I still have it as a 5 gallon batch.
I named it MentorRed.
It is pronounced Mentor Red.
But the play is that if you come into my shop, you can have one and get Mentored! Get it?
Cheers,
Brian

How'd you know Craig?
We stop here on the way to Cleveland on football trips.
Who knows when we can do that again.
Our next trip will likely be to Pitt, hopefully next fall.
We also have Chicago, and Foxborough on our to do list.
Next trip to Cleveland we will definitely stop in to The Menner Brewing Company though!

upload_2021-12-20_7-40-47.png

We stop here on the way to Cleveland on football trips.
Who knows when we can do that again.
Our next trip will likely be to Pitt, hopefully next fall.
We also have Chicago, and Foxborough on our to do list.
Next trip to Cleveland we will definitely stop in to The Menner Brewing Company though!

View attachment 18640
That's on Rt.306. Our shop is 2 exits east of there.
They have a nice selection, but if you want to be blown away, check out Red Wine and Brew!
Cheers,
Brian

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1230304/mentored-5-gallons

OK, I updated and scaled down to 5 gallons.
The last time I had this in 5 gallons was 2017.
Look at the notes in the recipe and I'll address any questions you have.
I'll be brewing this in the shop next week on my system and I should be ready mid January.

Hi Brian,
I have converted your recipe for my kit and the nearest equivalent Grain type I have and adjusted amounts accordingly.

My problem would be much the same as anyone on this side of the pond is in the Hops choice.
German Magnum is not a big problem - I am going to use Chinook @ 12.5 AA - but American Blend escapes me. I have even scowered your web pages for hop names you may have used but without any clues. I would think USA Cascade would do but it all depends what sort of flavor you were aiming for. (Note I have spelled it the American way hehe).

Additionally I have substituted Munich for the American Victory. Would that be acceptable?

Hi Brian,
I have converted your recipe for my kit and the nearest equivalent Grain type I have and adjusted amounts accordingly.

My problem would be much the same as anyone on this side of the pond is in the Hops choice.
German Magnum is not a big problem - I am going to use Chinook @ 12.5 AA - but American Blend escapes me. I have even scowered your web pages for hop names you may have used but without any clues. I would think USA Cascade would do but it all depends what sort of flavor you were aiming for. (Note I have spelled it the American way hehe).

Additionally I have substituted Munich for the American Victory. Would that be acceptable?

Duh... I just read the recipe notes.... Scrub the above pointless comment

Back