I brewed today!

You working up a saison ? Going big ? 7-8%? Sounds really awesome either way
actually we went with 05 on this one. OG was 1058 today. So, 1058 --> 1011ish, could be looking at a 6% beer.

That sounds super cool, though. Using the same stuff with a saison yeast and bumping either the grain or adding some adjunct cane sugar could be really good. I'll keep that in mind.

I brewed up a Cascade Smash yesterday for a group-brew in our local club. About 8 brewers starting with the same ingredients - it'll be interesting to see how many different variations there are in terms of process and outcome.

A simple Dunkelweizen - great when done right, tastes like used dishwater when done wrong. I'm hoping for the former....

I brewed some used dishwater today. With my luck, it'll end up tasting like a Dunkelweizen.

Seriously, I brewed a Pumpkin Spice Porter. My wife's keg is empty, so I'm doing this one in hurry up mode. I'll skip the secondary and keg it after its fermented.

thanks that reminds me " I get lazy during fishing season" Ive been brewing such great beers lately and when I do that they don't last in the keg but a week Id better get on the ball or Ill be :eek: buying beer soon

I have an altbier that I brewed for a local contest. It's was my first alt, so I don't know how it is going. I liked.
Last Saturday I brewed a German Pilsner. It is fermenting now.

I brewed an original lager recipe today. 16% Vienna. Glacier and Czech Saaz hops. Very simple. This morning, my wife pulled a half pound bag of maltodextrin from the top of the fridge. Oops, that was supposed to go in her Pumpkin Spice Porter that I brewed Tuesday. I put it in today's brew instead.

brewing our first lager today. went with S-23, first time rehydrating a yeast too.

edit: busy day. back into the swing of bottling, then re-racking, then brewing.

Today did an IPL... 80% German Pils, 5% Dark Munich, 5% Honey Malt, 5% Flaked Wheat, 54IBUs worth of Citra and Galaxy. Rehydrated a pack of S-23 in a half liter oktoberfest mug, heh. couldn't find anything else to do that with. I guess i did it right? I can't imagine how i could screw up rehydrating dry yeast. Hit 1.053, 1 point lower than expected, so, essentially spot on.

Last edited:
I brewed another October beer, cant get enough but dang Ive been at it since 11:00 am im bushed this 3 pot herms system is a slow process, I miss the simple days lol

What's ya brew day timeline like? 6 hours is the norm for me that's from start to finish including clean up pack up go do something else.

What's ya brew day timeline like? 6 hours is the norm for me that's from start to finish including clean up pack up go do something else.
I set up the day before, cleaned sanitized and milled, ready to fill the mash tun but it still took 5 1/2 hours, but thats chilled and strait to fermenting. The biggest part of my day is spent heating up, whirl-pooling then chilling

Yep a large volume of liquid doesn't like changing temperature to quickly either upwards or downwards it can be stubborn stuff.

Just for giggles, I did 91% 2-row, 4.5% each of roasted barley and Carapils today. 30 IBUs of Cascade hops, added at 60 and 10 minutes. S-05 yeast. I hope it turns out good. Kind of a roasted amber ale.

And how was your brew time line for this amber ale jeffpn that's from hit the burner under kettle or switch if electric till clean up equipment away go do something else kinda stuff

I can get er done (BIAB) in 4 hours, but that didn't happen today. I also kegged, and some friends came over for a bit. Once I did it in 3 1/2 hours. I think I could always do that, but I'm not in a hurry on brew day. It's my hobby!

Yep a large volume of liquid doesn't like changing temperature to quickly either upwards or downwards it can be stubborn stuff.

one more slow down, I went from a 3 pot rims to a herms , the rims had 3 elements, the herms only 2 and it uses the coil to heat the mash tun, much slower to change temperatures on 12 gallons than the rims, Ive had to watch it like a hawk not to overshoot, once you get past its hard to cool down. I also fly sparge for an hour

Started brewing at 1:00PM today, 90% Munich Light and 10% Flaked Wheat, 1 oz of Hallertau Blanc (8.8%) split evenly at FW, 20, 5, and 0... Wyeast 1007 German Ale... Finished promptly at 5PM. Extremely easy day.

But also trifecta'd today, bottled a HopScotch, and reracked a Dead Flowers beer. I guess i quadfecta'd today... Also cracked up a new beer. Belgian Abbey, nice and light.

But also trifecta'd today, bottled a HopScotch, and reracked a Dead Flowers beer. I guess i quadfecta'd today... Also cracked up a new beer. Belgian Abbey, nice and light.
I think it's a given than when you trifecta, you quadfecta! I've never thought about it that way!!

image.jpeg The Yep brewed this a starter yea so it probably don't qualify as a batch of beer but yea thought I'd post it anyhow. Anyone else here make starters? I save my yeast so mix up a starter a few days befor let the yeast rip it up chill decant then pitch that on brew day.

yup i build up starters a few days before brewing day , i often build them up bigger than required and hold back some , build that up again/crash /decant/store as a yeast bank .

this way they're always built up in identical unhopped wort , almost nil trub and have a selection of yeast on hand for just the cost of the DME and a little time .

Back