I brewed today!

Same same I hear some freaky weather swept through your part of Aus crazy stuff the whole of south Australia without power. Well I guess if you had any beer fermenting it had a bit of. Temp rise

all good , it was in cold crash or well fast FG for me , no real harm at all except i had a romantic dinner of cold pasta puttanesca by candle light ( for 1 )

most of the dramas here are caused by lack of the basic maintenance any cyclone savvy Qld'er doesn't need to be told , secure loose items ,trim over hanging trees, clean gutters and have a basic storm kit ..... ( simple stuff)

in all fairness here they average about 400 mm of rain a year and i lived / worked up in Maleny about 20 minutes from you and we got 4,000 mm ( 13 odd foot) of rain in one year

all good , it was in cold crash or well fast FG for me , no real harm at all except i had a romantic dinner of cold pasta puttanesca by candle light ( for 1 )

most of the dramas here are caused by lack of the basic maintenance any cyclone savvy Qld'er doesn't need to be told , secure loose items ,trim over hanging trees, clean gutters and have a basic storm kit ..... ( simple stuff)

in all fairness here they average about 400 mm of rain a year and i lived / worked up in Maleny about 20 minutes from you and we got 4,000 mm ( 13 odd foot) of rain in one year
Yep and then you head up far North Queensland to Tully where they measure the rain in feet not inches

was going to brew that coffee brown ale, but they didn't have enough of the necessary ingredients i wanted.

So, doing a dunkelweizen instead, had to sub some grains in for this too. 70% White Wheat, 20% Dark Munich, 5% Midnight Wheat, 5% Honey Malt... All Mittlefruh going in at 60 and 20, Wyeast 3333 German Wheat.

I'm brewing a SMaSH I call Mar-Tar.

Indeed. And I've never used Target either. I only considered U.K. Hops, and settled on it.

Indeed. And I've never used Target either. I only considered U.K. Hops, and settled on it.
Did you get them here ?:p

image.jpeg

Im brewing today.....finally, I made a stupid mistake cleaning and boiling my vessels, last week, long story short burnt out an element and one of my temperature probes malfunctioned, costly mistake but back in the game, half way through the mash of my House Pale ale

Well I'm doing a mini brew today 4 liters mash .550kg pils to make 1.040wort for my starters I've got a couple of preserving jars I'll just boil for fifteen then dump it in hot into 1lt Masson jars. Starters sorted:D

Anyone else do this its a bit lame but I just wanta brew:rolleyes:.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    666.7 KB · Views: 137
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    287.1 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
brewing today... not sure what yet, probably going to do a SMaSH beer. Been looking at Calypso hops online, and i want to use Schill Kolsch malt if the store has some.

edit: SMaSH beer indeed. American 2-row, (a little bit of flaked wheat, i'm cheating, shush) And Idaho 7 hops! They come in at 14.1%AA, so it should be a good easy experiment today with those. and us-05 at 60ºF.

Last edited:
just kidding. not brewing. when pouring grains we found some little maggot worm creatures in the grain. Just not going to deal with that today.

Today, I used a stir paddle attached to my drill while chilling with my immersion chiller. I don't know why it took me so long to try that!

All the way to the bottom of the pot on my test run. I was amazed! Harder to control trying not to bang the chiller.

The paddle did create quite a froth on my wort. It was impossible to read the hydrometer. I guess I'll be keeping my spectrometer after all!

years ago I oxygenated the wart that way, it works but back then I had no stainless paddles, maybe Ill build one just for that soon ;)

The one I bought is plastic. It's actually for degassing wine. The blades swivel, so it can fit into a carboy. I used it after pitching the yeast as well.

Back