I brewed today!

Did a Mandarina Ginger Brown Ale this weekend.... Lots of Mandarina hops, a generous helping of ginger at flameout, adding more at bottling, both extract (mild ginger flavor) and syrup (hot ginger flavor), and dry hopping with an ounce of Mandarina. Makes a very nice fall beer!

I think I finally figure out how to best juggle my fermenter/lagering/keg space and brewed up a batch of a Boston Lager-like recipe.
I took a basic clone recipe and substituted my local 2-row malt - Blacklands Pale Moon for most of the grist and Vienna for a portion of it. that Blackland malt is really rich and malty for an American 2-row. I'm pitching on a cake of S-23. I expect it'll ferment pretty well on that.
The mash went very well and the color of the wort looks fantastic. I think a slightly bigger version might make a great Octoberfest brew.

Nosybear said:
Did a Mandarina Ginger Brown Ale this weekend.... Lots of Mandarina hops, a generous helping of ginger at flameout, adding more at bottling, both extract (mild ginger flavor) and syrup (hot ginger flavor), and dry hopping with an ounce of Mandarina. Makes a very nice fall beer!
Can you send me a bottle? My wife just said she wants a ginger beer. It'll have to wait until after the pumpkin beer, which I haven't brewed yet either. She only gets one tap! So she said, "The Nut Brown doesn't count, right? Because you like that one too!"

jeffpn said:
Nosybear said:
Can you send me a bottle? My wife just said she wants a ginger beer. It'll have to wait until after the pumpkin beer, which I haven't brewed yet either. She only gets one tap! So she said, "The Nut Brown doesn't count, right? Because you like that one too!"
I'd need to know where you are. I'll be throwing the dry hop in this afternoon if I can get the labels off my beer and the State Fair labels on. Should be possible to send a bottle.

Forgot to mention, I do another beer as well, although I haven't gotten around to it this year, a lemongrass ginger wheat, very light, very easy drinking, a great summer cooler. If they're not public, let me know and I can share the recipes.

I was kidding about sending a bottle, but if you're willing, sure! I'd be willing to post my phone number here at a time when you'd be on. I'd delete it later. Short of PMing which is not possible here, my only other idea is to reach me on Facebook. I'd be happy to do a bottle exchange with you.

Nosybear said:
...a lemongrass ginger wheat, very light, very easy drinking, a great summer cooler. ...

That sounds interesting. I've got a Saison on my brew list that I intend to do with S-33 (not really a Belgian yeast) and use some Grains of Paradise and Lemon zest, a touch of orange/corriander and maybe just the slightest hint of clove in the boil. Your description is inspiring me to think about adding a pinch of ginger. ;)

J A said:
Nosybear said:
...a lemongrass ginger wheat, very light, very easy drinking, a great summer cooler. ...

That sounds interesting. I've got a Saison on my brew list that I intend to do with S-33 (not really a Belgian yeast) and use some Grains of Paradise and Lemon zest, a touch of orange/corriander and maybe just the slightest hint of clove in the boil. Your description is inspiring me to think about adding a pinch of ginger. ;)

Don't think you will get a good Saison from S-33 IMO. To get that fruity funk you need a Saison yeast. Have played with that yeast before. What you are describing would probably fit together well but is not in that category. Sounds like a good beer though. :D

Nosy, I've been reading up on shipping alcohol, and it looks like there's no way for a person to do it. The only advice I saw (repeatedly) was to lie about the package contents. Next time you swing through Ohio, stop by. We can do a swap then!

I've shipped a bottle of scotch and beer from md to CA via fedex. I didn't lie, they never asked if there was alcohol in there. I certainly didn't offer that information. But then again, I'm very much against someone telling me not to do something if I don't see the point of it

From what I've read, it's illegal to use the USPS to ship alcohol. Both FedEx and UPS do ship alcohol, but only for business to business, not personal (my wording). Not illegal to use UPS or FedEx, but it is against their policies. To me, it's only conscience easing if they don't ask. What would you have said if they did ask?

Head First said:
Don't think you will get a good Saison from S-33 IMO. To get that fruity funk you need a Saison yeast. Have played with that yeast before. What you are describing would probably fit together well but is not in that category. Sounds like a good beer though. :D

I agree 100%... it won't be a real Saison, but should be an interesting beer. I have some S-33 trub left over so I figured I'd use it up on a "quickie" recipe to explore some ingredients and get something a little different in the pipeline before summer is over.
I will say though, that I've used S-33 on a wheat beer and was surprised at the fruity profile it gave me. Early on it definitely had a little Hefe happening - no spice, but some nice banana/pineapple flavors. It faded fairly quickly, though.

While I like the "yeast suspended in liquid" answer, I probably would have said I was shipping some glasses or something. There was a beer stein in there too, so not a total lie.
I understand if I'm shipping 30 cases each week, but 2 bottles one time isn't that bad in my eyes

We might try "Microbiological cultures" but that might bring Homeland Security down on us....

You can buy beer and wine off the internet, wonder how they do it

Brewed 13gal of Hefe to finish out the summer so I will stay out of the Oktoberfest.

Deccotion mash taking a rest @ 153 for a few while the rest of the Helles grist is mashing away @135. Hops divied up, yeast slurry warming up, and kettle ready to roll. Gonna be a good brewday!

Anxious to get this one rolling; Helles is one of my favorite beers styles to drink during summer! probally going to wish I could do 10 gallon batches after this summer Lagerathon.

*edit* WOW feeling like Ozark Moutain today!! hit all my number right down the line! OG 1.047
Wort chilling down to 48 in the lager bucket
-1 liter of super happy yeast slurry standing by to punch the clock and get to work
what a great brew day !! :cool:

Finally got another batch of Kolsch going today. Mash seemed to go well...had to add a little heat to get to my dextrin rest temp and again at mash-out because somehow the boiling water additions don't seem to do the trick. All good though, and ended up with excellent efficiency (actually too good...OG a little on the high side for a Kolsch style).
I've been anxious to get back to this style and tweak my recipe and mash schedule. It's a little late in the season to be brewing good summer beers, but we'll get enough warm weather in October and even November to be able to enjoy a nice light, malty beer.

Whipped out a quick batch of Kentucky Common yesterday for the AHA rally at the Brew Hut in Aurora, CO (no, I wasn't paid to write this) on August 27th.

Back