I brewed today!

I brewed a 3rd round of my "On Tap" golden ale today. Here's a photo of the hopstand. This is my 2nd no chill batch where I siphon straight into the kegmenter after the hop stand. Hops this time were azacca, Cascade, and I'll dry hop with Citra towards the end of fermentation
20211206_112406.jpg

I brewed a 3rd round of my "On Tap" golden ale today. Here's a photo of the hopstand. This is my 2nd no chill batch where I siphon straight into the kegmenter after the hop stand. Hops this time were azacca, Cascade, and I'll dry hop with Citra towards the end of fermentation
View attachment 18487
Are you still mashing in a bag?

Dang it seems like you're brewing every day !
Nah, now I have to wait to brew again until I drink my current 2 batches! :) They should be drinkable next week and I have almost 8 gallons of beer

Are you still mashing in a bag?
Yep! I'm borrowing a larger kettle so I can do 3.5-4 gallon batches with BIAB with a batch sparge. And now I can do full volume boils. If I want to increase batch size I'll have to go to partial mash/extract. But the largest fermenter I have is a 5 gallon corny keg

Well don't know what happened there but absolutely smashed my gravity musta been a grain measurement error anyhow FG reads 1.056 much much higher than expected ah well. She's all wrapped up until fermentation tomorrow.
20211210_220324.jpg

Kegs full as well starter is spinning.

I brewed up a West Coast IPA today with classic C hops, aromatic malt, and C40. Dumped the chilled wort onto a cake of BRY97 from the golden ale I finished drinking yesterday :) it's already dropped 10 points! Happy yeast :D fingers crossed I got enough oxygen into there

Well don't know what happened there but absolutely smashed my gravity musta been a grain measurement error anyhow FG reads 1.056 much much higher than expected ah well. She's all wrapped up until fermentation tomorrow.View attachment 18530
Kegs full as well starter is spinning.
Ok Heads up to everyone that keg I split this batch into the beer has turned out INFECTED :(!

Yup I put that keg a day or two later into my keezer to chill down and even purged out the o2.
Now I dumped it as is onto the first half I fermented with S189
Fermented cool 11.5c under 5psi of pressure.

Took a sample today preparing to do a closed transfer into recieving keg.
As soon as I had a wiff I knew :eek: this don't smell right this is infected like an off smell or off fruit thing.

Anyhow incase anyone out there had similar ideas on leaving their wort to no chill in the keg and leave the keg some time before fermentation think again!

So you all know the first batch is tasting fine no sign of off flavours at all.
Also I've not had an infection in my brewery for a couple of years.
This one's not acidic thank God so I'm sure I can Rule out lacto or acetobacter or however it's spelled it smells phenolic even maybe a touch bannanary but for sure it's going into the garden and now to clean all the fermentor parts :(.

Anyhow lesson learned ferment the wort as soon as possible.

You know I was half gunna put that other 20lt into my kegmenter to no chill and pitch my saison yeast on it
Man i suck sometimes that woulda been way better...

Sorry to hear that. Live and learn I suppose. For as much as you brew, once every couple of years is still a pretty good track record!

Sorry to hear that. Live and learn I suppose. For as much as you brew, once every couple of years is still a pretty good track record!
Cheers Megary yeah I was hoping this would be a Viable way to double batch for me.

But leaving wort for that long infermented was just too risky.

I tell ya what it smelt great fermenting and there wasn't anything different about the fermentation characteristics it's just off smelling. Bugger!

Ok Heads up to everyone that keg I split this batch into the beer has turned out INFECTED :(!

Yup I put that keg a day or two later into my keezer to chill down and even purged out the o2.
Now I dumped it as is onto the first half I fermented with S189
Fermented cool 11.5c under 5psi of pressure.

Took a sample today preparing to do a closed transfer into recieving keg.
As soon as I had a wiff I knew :eek: this don't smell right this is infected like an off smell or off fruit thing.

Anyhow incase anyone out there had similar ideas on leaving their wort to no chill in the keg and leave the keg some time before fermentation think again!

So you all know the first batch is tasting fine no sign of off flavours at all.
Also I've not had an infection in my brewery for a couple of years.
This one's not acidic thank God so I'm sure I can Rule out lacto or acetobacter or however it's spelled it smells phenolic even maybe a touch bannanary but for sure it's going into the garden and now to clean all the fermentor parts :(.

Anyhow lesson learned ferment the wort as soon as possible.

You know I was half gunna put that other 20lt into my kegmenter to no chill and pitch my saison yeast on it
Man i suck sometimes that woulda been way better...
Damn it Ben, that sucks big binochies!

Sorry to hear this Ben

Damn it Ben, that sucks big binochies!
Ah I took a bit of a risk actually as you could imagine I've been going over that brew in my head.

I've come to one conclusion I topped off that second keg chilled batch.
When I poured it into the fermentor on top of the s189 yeast cake I was at the 18 lt mark so I poured in 2lt of filtered tap water and I think THIS might be the culprit maybe some of them phenolic are chemical reactions with chlorimines in that water.

Who knows I'll be more careful in future :) and it happened last batch of year

Back