I brewed today!

Also my first batch with the new hop spider
Sorry, not a big fan of spiders. Ok, maybe the hops kind. But not these...

356780D0-6DDE-451A-8C6A-B5E261D48549.jpeg

15 quarts of 1.047 golden ale with Cluster, Triumph, and Azacca. I'm fermenting in the corny keg for the first time. My tilt hydrometer is in there with a floating dip tube (no issues transmitting to the tablet on top of the fridge), and I'll pull out the PRV and cover with foil when I pitch the yeast. Not a very clear sample cuz I decided to dump the whole boil kettle in :) we'll see if the top draw works. Also my first batch with the new hop spider

View attachment 18179 View attachment 18180
Looking good. I’m a full kettle dumper, and think you’ll be fine, just try to be patient.
I have to figure out how I will use a boatload of Azacca hops, so I’ll be keeping an eye on your efforts

Irish Fling is in the fermenter! That was a wild brewday; I started around 9, wort was in the fermenter around 130 but we needed to go to a wedding shower (at a brewery, woe is me :D) so I moved it to the fridge to finish chilling. I expected 68% brewhouse efficiency and ended up somewhere over 85%. I added some extra water to the fermenter so that it didn't be come an Imperial Irish Red lol.

Also my future bro in law likes to make what he calls prison wine but I like to call hooch. Sugar, water, some fruit, and champagne yeast in a half gallon jug. So we quickly put together a raspberry version. I didn't have a chance to take a gravity reading but he's got the weights/recipe written down somewhere. Now the rest of the in laws are heading over and I just did a mad dash to clean up. Phew! I need a beer! :D
20211113_172647.jpg
20211113_172654.jpg

Yeast pitched. Terrible brew day with issues all around. OG was way higher than I expected so hopefully between that and the high mash temp this isn’t total ass. Maybe I can find the Gaelic words for total ass and have @AHarper make me a label. Off to find clothes for Christmas pictures that we are taking tomorrow. Beer later

Yeast pitched. Terrible brew day with issues all around. OG was way higher than I expected so hopefully between that and the high mash temp this isn’t total ass. Maybe I can find the Gaelic words for total ass and have @AHarper make me a label. Off to find clothes for Christmas pictures that we are taking tomorrow. Beer later

I'm glad I'm not the only one with brew days like that!

If your OG was much higher that expected, it would appear that the high mash temp didn't affect the conversion too badly. This one might turn out surprisingly well for you.

What is the purpose of those ballcocks(?) in your kettle?
that is a valve that won’t let the level rise above the set height, dual purpose I use it to swirl the mash without splashing when recirculating and use the same thing for fly sparging, so I just leave it in there

Dont worry I had a crap end to my brew day i had a Oh NO! Moment my as I was transfering the wort into fermentor the O ring seal for my fermentasaurus decided to go for a swim in the fermentor:eek::eek::eek: they sink too dam it:oops:.
So its fermenting with just the lid on no pressure seal.

Kinda like how I ferment my aldi apple juice. It'll be fine.
It's a lager I'll know if it's not lol :D
Yeah I've got no issues without it sealing it's getting it out of the fermentor I gotta worry about. I'm thinking of transfering before end of fermentation into keg that way combatting any o2 from siphoning and I'll just spund it in the keg I think;).

My mate has now contracted Coeliac disease - I suspect from the vaccine (my suspicion anyway) - so now he has to drink gluten free beer and there are not many about and it is quite expensive as a result so...

I have just brewed 23Lt (46 pints) and have it started fermenting so he should have something nice to drink for Christmas.

Next on the cards id the Quarterly Irish Red ale - to be brewed tomorrow and on Thursday I will be doing the Winter Cracker recipe that my Mrs helped design - we shall see how that turns out.

Anyway... this is the Gluten free American Pale Ale that smells very nice too.

upload_2021-11-23_14-41-57.png

My mate has now contracted Coeliac disease - I suspect from the vaccine (my suspicion anyway) - so now he has to drink gluten free beer and there are not many about and it is quite expensive as a result so...

I have just brewed 23Lt (46 pints) and have it started fermenting so he should have something nice to drink for Christmas.

Next on the cards id the Quarterly Irish Red ale - to be brewed tomorrow and on Thursday I will be doing the Winter Cracker recipe that my Mrs helped design - we shall see how that turns out.

Anyway... this is the Gluten free American Pale Ale that smells very nice too.

View attachment 18325
Brewing for a good cause I like it Allan!
I'm sure you've done some research but I'm sure there has been a thread or two on here brewing gluten free brews.
I known sorghum is another grain that's gluten free that I see popping up down here for brewing

Brewing for a good cause I like it Allan!
I'm sure you've done some research but I'm sure there has been a thread or two on here brewing gluten free brews.
I known sorghum is another grain that's gluten free that I see popping up down here for brewing

This one was dead easy - and will probably turn out very well since it is effectively a kit - but I can recommend it as a quick and easy brew.

40 Oz dollars I guess to you for the full kit - minus the glucose - you get LME, yeast and Dry hops.

Back