I brewed today!

This one was dead easy - and will probably turn out very well since it is effectively a kit - but I can recommend it as a quick and easy brew.

40 Oz dollars I guess to you for the full kit - minus the glucose - you get LME, yeast and Dry hops.
Yeah I see them pouches here in the LHBS in Aus I've wanted to try their Cider but havnt got around to it.

Second batch of Wayner's pale ale. Paid more attention to clearing the beer, recirculating and whirlfloc, since last time it was milky. Pre-boil gravity is low, 1.028, so the boil may go a bit longer than 75 minutes. Playing it by ear.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 37
@AHarper ive seen bag likes that. Thought it would be good for a fast keg or a bottle batch. Let me j ow how it turns out.

So the yeast starter looks like this after 18 hours. I pulled it off the stir plate 2 hours ago. I am thinking "good thing I have a spare pack of S04", because this one (from March this year) looks dead.
41CB3B88-F20F-479F-A270-8C92E9E778DE.jpeg

Edit: a small taste of the 'wort' confirmed, this batch was dead.

Last edited:
Boil was 85 minutes, hit my number perfectly (much to my surprise). But even with the whirlfloc, it was cloudy. I am hoping that 10-12 days in the fermenter, plus a cold crash, will let it clear up. I am encouraged by my hydrometer sample, it cleared in just a half hour. @HighVoltageMan! how do you get your so clear?

Note the size of the "hops log" from this session! It is about 4" in diameter, representing 12 oz. of pellet hops, that came out of the hops spider in one piece. Thank goodness for Hops Direct; I hate bypassing the LHBS but the cost was less than half! I did try to help the hops release their goodness into the boil by recirculating into the hops spider, shaking it to get wort flowing through and letting it drain and refill often. What I really need is a second hops spider, this one was too full.

IMG_2542.JPG
IMG_2540.JPG

Boil was 85 minutes, hit my number perfectly (much to my surprise). But even with the whirlfloc, it was cloudy. I am hoping that 10-12 days in the fermenter, plus a cold crash, will let it clear up. I am encouraged by my hydrometer sample, it cleared in just a half hour. @HighVoltageMan! how do you get your so clear?

Note the size of the "hops log" from this session! It is about 4" in diameter, representing 12 oz. of pellet hops, that came out of the hops spider in one piece. Thank goodness for Hops Direct; I hate bypassing the LHBS but the cost was less than half! I did try to help the hops release their goodness into the boil by recirculating into the hops spider, shaking it to get wort flowing through and letting it drain and refill often. What I really need is a second hops spider, this one was too full.

View attachment 18339 View attachment 18341
Thats one lot of hops

Got round to brewing the Q4 Irish Red which turned out really well. I hit the OG - well over by 1 point but that is OK.
The Lautering went pretty well as I had added in 200g of Oat Husks.
Filling the kettle before the boil.
upload_2021-11-25_17-55-38.png

What is your method using the lactic acid? I’d like to do that next time.

I finished up my Shady Boh/English Porter hybrid a few hours ago. The wort is currently in the keg on my front porch at 107F. Still trying to decide when I want to move it into the fridge to get it down into the 60s. Brewday went pretty well. I messed up my sparge water amount (using a new-to-me kettle), but was able to get the volume back up with water in the keg. Haven't taken an OG reading yet, my guess is it will be higher than the projected 1.043. Need to update my equipment profile I think :)

I think I'm going to call this one Shady Angles (like Anglican, get it?). Or Shoddy Boh lol

Back