I brewed today!

Did the delivery come through?
Yes got it finished and yeast pitched about 5. Brew day itself went great. Played in the snow anytime I didn’t need to be inside :) BUT NO yeast activity as of yet. Never had English ale yeast take this long to start. It wasn’t expired and I’m pretty sure the smack pack swelled. Pitched at 68 and there it has set.

So another question would be how long do I wait on this yeast before I need to pitch more?

*IF* the pack swelled, then you will be fine. Which yeast, specifically?

If it didn't swell, all bets are off. The only time I had no fermentation from a pack of yeast was a WY smack-pack that didn't blow up, but I pitched it anyway. Nothing.

Wyeast 1968 ESB. When you say swell is this a big swell? If that’s the case then I’m probably screwed there.

Wyeast 1968 ESB. When you say swell is this a big swell? If that’s the case then I’m probably screwed there.
How long before you pitched the pack did you smack it? I always smack them (and shake them) as soon as I get my brew day started, and then set them out at room temperature. They are getting juiced up for about 4-1/2 hours before I pitch.
Some packs will blow up as tight as can be, some just swell up partially. The only dead one I ever had did not blow up AT ALL.

It was smacked and sat for 5 hours before I pitched

I got some slurry sitting out now. I’ll probably pitch that in a hour or so if I don’t see any action.

FYI, I have only used 1968 once. Here are my scribble notes from that beer:
"SLOW START - STEADY FERM FOR 4 DAYS - FINISHED IN 8 DAYS"

I would love to hear from others who are more familiar with this yeast.

So, as a person with limited patience I had egg on my face again. There is some stuff starting to form on top so I think I’m good. Unless an infection could set up that quick. I also didn’t consider a few things; this was a 2.75 gallon batch vs the usual 2 and I pitched at 68 instead of 72-75. The yeast was also 4-5 months old.

I always preach patience. Just a couple brews ago, I had to practice what I preach. My Hoppy American Brown Ale took about 36 hours to get going, and I was starting to wonder if it ever would. Well that beer turned out fine. I’ll be drinking the last of that batch later today.

I've used WYeast 1968 numerous times and really like it for anything English. I usually have visible signs of fermentation begin around 10-12 hours after pitching. After 18-24 hours fermentation is in full swing. But like any yeast, age, pitch rate and temperature have a lot to do with how fast fermentation kicks off.

I've used WYeast 1968 numerous times and really like it for anything English. I usually have visible signs of fermentation begin around 10-12 hours after pitching. After 18-24 hours fermentation is in full swing. But like any yeast, age, pitch rate and temperature have a lot to do with how fast fermentation kicks off.
Checked my brew session from last time I used it and I had action more along the lines you are saying.

Pitched warm to me Don = Early bubbles :p
Yep. Goal was 65, pitched at 78 :eek:. Then the fermenting fridge brought it all down to...
59 :eek::eek:.

Ghaa! But true to form, those little yeasties rolled with it and are happily making bubbles at the moment. Now we are at a comfortable 64 (used the heater) and watching carefully.

Lesson learned: the counterflow chiller was bringing the wort down to 58, so I decided to cut the cooling water for a moment. I then got distracted, one moment became two, and by then it was too late. Sigh.

Yep. Goal was 65, pitched at 78 :eek:. Then the fermenting fridge brought it all down to...
59 :eek::eek:.

Ghaa! But true to form, those little yeasties rolled with it and are happily making bubbles at the moment. Now we are at a comfortable 64 (used the heater) and watching carefully.

Lesson learned: the counterflow chiller was bringing the wort down to 58, so I decided to cut the cooling water for a moment. I then got distracted, one moment became two, and by then it was too late. Sigh.
You on the BRY-97 yeast don?
Checked In on mine this morning only a small remaining reseeding ring of krausen left so started the spund and upped the temp to 20c.

This yeast smashed it out once it got going.
Havnt checked FG yet but happy with BRY97 fermentsaurus performance so far.

Back