I brewed today!

I too had a temperature issue during my Monday brew day, albeit a minor issue. At flameout, I removed the boil hops bag and put the kettle in an ice bath with a thermometer hanging in the kettle. It was my intention to add hop stand hops at ~185F. My first temp check was still around 200F, then a few minutes later the temp was already down to ~160F. Oh well, I put the hops in a sanitized bag, dropped it in and set my timer for 20 minutes. I think everything will turn out OK.

You on the BRY-97 yeast don?
Checked In on mine this morning only a small remaining reseeding ring of krausen left so started the spund and upped the temp to 20c.

This yeast smashed it out once it got going.
Havnt checked FG yet but happy with BRY97 fermentsaurus performance so far.
No, WLP001 California Ale yeast

Monday seems to have been a bad day for temp control all around. My MentoRed didnt want to cool down properly until the ice was about gone and I figured out I didn't get the heat turned off all the way.

Was this incorrect? On Jan 1, I brewed my first Pilsner and first beer under pressure. I fermented in a keg with the spunding valve on and set at 15 psi from day one. No action for 2 days then blamo the pressure built up over the next few days to 15psi. I left it there until yesterday when I dropped in some gelatin. Did I blow it? I see where some add the spunding valve with a few points left in fermentation. Hopefully I did not mess this up.

Was this incorrect? On Jan 1, I brewed my first Pilsner and first beer under pressure. I fermented in a keg with the spunding valve on and set at 15 psi from day one. No action for 2 days then blamo the pressure built up over the next few days to 15psi. I left it there until yesterday when I dropped in some gelatin. Did I blow it? I see where some add the spunding valve with a few points left in fermentation. Hopefully I did not mess this up.
No I don't think so. Sometimes I need to raise the temp a bit before final gravity to help attenuation but it should be fine.

Did I blow it? I see where some add the spunding valve with a few points left in fermentation. Hopefully I did not mess this up.
No. Worst case is it takes longer to start up and ferment. It will be fine.

If you are just spunding put it on with a few points left. Pressure fermenting from the beginning or close to it.

Last edited:
3.5 gallons of Golden Ale in the keg! Chilling overnight until it gets transferred onto the yeast cake from the recently drank kolsch
I checked in on that live feed sunfire I think your were taking a refractometer reading but it kept dropping out on me.

I will brew this evening. 99% sure what I’m brewing but going back and forth on a few things that of course will change what it is. 95% Munich and 5% Red X, 30 ibu of Magnum and Hersbrucker, and 34/70 at winter garage temps. I have the grain crushed together for a 2 gallon recipe. My decision is added grain to get a 2.75 batch since I have the extra keg I ordered, it’s lonely. To keep my numbers I’m either adding 1 pound of Pilsner, Munich I, or Vienna.

Sitting comfortably in the garage. Good brew day.
But it has been a bit cold in your town Josh, did you open the door during the boil or otherwise manage the steam during boil, or do I completely misunderstand your brew process and location?

But it has been a bit cold in your town Josh, did you open the door during the boil or otherwise manage the steam during boil, or do I completely misunderstand your brew process and location?
I brewed in my kitchen. Fermenting in the garage.

20220122_115422.jpg
Brewed that no sparge Not So Blond ale set efficiency 75% came in 4 points above target at 1.050 at thereabouts 80% brew house that's got me puzzled.
Maybe it's because I recirculate the mash.
Anyhow cruisy brew day it's no chilling in the kettle now.
Might be doing more of these no Sparge brews

Just finished up an easy brown ale extract with steeping grains recipe. Currently at 75F, will pitch yeast once it's below 70F and ferment at 65F with S04. I kind of miss having transparent fermenters :D it's nice to see the yeast at work again. On the right is the extract Azacca pale I brewed on Friday
20220207_161248.jpg

Back