Homebrew competitors

Comp I entered is getting judged today over 500 entries BOS wins a Stainless conical not that I imagine that happening lol.
Oh that beer mad it in time too I hope it's my lucky charm

Comp I entered is getting judged today over 500 entries BOS wins a Stainless conical not that I imagine that happening lol.
Oh that beer mad it in time too I hope it's my lucky charm
Nice! Good luck Ben :) can't wait to see pics of your shiny new fermenter

Had a look on the Comp Website it dont look like them beers scored a place:oops:.
Must been some great beer on show:rolleyes:.
Havnt got no scores yet but looking forward to seeing what they thought.

490 entries all up so pretty good comp would love to attended in person next year and join in the fun:)

Had a look on the Comp Website it dont look like them beers scored a place:oops:.
Must been some great beer on show:rolleyes:.
Havnt got no scores yet but looking forward to seeing what they thought.

490 entries all up so pretty good comp would love to attended in person next year and join in the fun:)
Well that sucks. It's a pretty big competition so it's going to be a little tougher to score a medal. Hopefully you get some good feed back on your beers and you'll stomp it next time.

Yeah, almost 500 competitors, that's a hard act to follow.
Champion beer was a pilsner it musta been some beer to win BOS with a pils
Screenshot_20210917-060322_Samsung Internet.jpg
p

I finally got my score cards back from Memphis, Tn. Events should be scanning these in so you can see them right away. No surprise on the dry roast stout, comments on a little strong on the roast or needs more malt to support it. maybe some crystal. ok
the Ipa that got a lousy 22 had alll kinds of odd comments. low bitterness, soapy, astringency, low hop aroma, low malt character, add way more malt, needs crystal. LOl. . Ok i'll give them the aroma, i'll have to try a closed transfer next time, but bitterness? this was 84ibu. i could add some malt but i typically aim for the lower end in stronger beers. I admit it was a bit of a style hybid neipa/aipa.

but bitterness? this was 84ibu. i could add some malt but i typically aim for the lower end in stronger beers. I admit it was a bit of a style hybid neipa/aipa.
Three things: First, judging is according to the style book, so a hybrid might score poorly if it doesn't represent the style. Second, even 84 ibu can be not bitter if the sulphate/chloride ratio is way off. Third, judging is subjective, so take the comments with some NaCl.

Three things: First, judging is according to the style book, so a hybrid might score poorly if it doesn't represent the style. Second, even 84 ibu can be not bitter if the sulphate/chloride ratio is way off. Third, judging is subjective, so take the comments with some NaCl.
yes. well they sure picked up on some odd things that i didn't taste.I accept that it wasn’t quite to style

Here we go
Screenshot_20210920-091107_Samsung Internet.jpg

Not to shabby reading the score sheets some minor flaws in the beers not quite hitting the mark but some good comments as well the smoked wheat wasnt smokey enough and hazy the two main faults but they enjoyed it.

The lemon myrtle was too dry and lacked esters and malt body they digged the aroma and appearance but were let down with the flavour not enough malt (well that's not what I'm going for lol) they enjoyed it said was quite sessionable which is what I'm aiming for;).

And the Dubble under carbonated finishing too sweet but presented nicely had some nice spice and malt flavours I agree totally.

Well backs up my thoughts on pressure fermenting ester reduction and even though all these beers were fermented warm no temp control under pressure they all presented as clean with only the lemon myrtle presenting some solvent flavours which I reckons from the lemon myrtle not the yeast .

Cool I look forward to having a crack next year:)

Attachments

• 000161.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 59
  • 000166.pdf
    373.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 000511.pdf
    390.2 KB · Views: 49
I entered the Piwo in a local comp. I asked the organizers if combining categories to put it with Pilsners or Kölsch. It won't stand up to a classic Rauchbier.

I entered the Piwo in a local comp. I asked the organizers if combining categories to put it with Pilsners or Kölsch. It won't stand up to a classic Rauchbier.
I should add that these scores reflect my brewed versions not the Authors lol.

I admit fresh out the keg it was smokey but that did recead over the weeks.
Also I totally agree with that the judges put down they summed up the beers pretty closely which is a credit to them and their experience.
These are all 1st time out the kettle brews if I were to replicate I'd adjust partly with their comments. Maybe dialing back the bitterness on the Grodziski and trying WLP029 for better clarity but hey that's a 3 point difference lol
The lemon myrtle saison yup I'll maybe add so.e Munich up the Clacium chloride and try a steep on the myrtle and keep it out of the fermentor to lessen the solvent.

And Harpers brew was too sweet that S33 finished too sweet didnt attenuate as well I'll use more true Belgian strain next go round.

I should add that these scores reflect my brewed versions not the Authors lol.

I admit fresh out the keg it was smokey but that did recead over the weeks.
Also I totally agree with that the judges put down they summed up the beers pretty closely which is a credit to them and their experience.
These are all 1st time out the kettle brews if I were to replicate I'd adjust partly with their comments. Maybe dialing back the bitterness on the Grodziski and trying WLP029 for better clarity but hey that's a 3 point difference lol
The lemon myrtle saison yup I'll maybe add so.e Munich up the Clacium chloride and try a steep on the myrtle and keep it out of the fermentor to lessen the solvent.

And Harpers brew was too sweet that S33 finished too sweet didnt attenuate as well I'll use more true Belgian strain next go round.
Think on the BU/GU ratio. I doubled the bitterness based on it. I expected the recipe as written would be very sweet.

Think on the BU/GU ratio. I doubled the bitterness based on it. I expected the recipe as written would be very sweet.
Yeah I'm sure i was up a few points on the OG too which should of lowered the boil bittering contribution also i no Chilled it so may have had that extra isomerisation in the cool down.

Hey they did like the beer thats for sure it just had some style flaws which I'm sure are my bad not your recipe Nosey;)

Screenshot_20210920-145155_Word.jpg

Screenshot_20210920-145148_Word.jpg

Three more for my wall from the Rocky Mountain Homebrew Comp: Gold for my American Lager and Märzen, bronze for Piwo Grodziskie.
That’s a respectable showing for sure. Congrats! American Lager is one of my favorite beers, even if it’s not considered a “craft” beer. Hard to make right, harder yet to medal with. What yeast did you use for your lagers?

Back