Homebrew competitors

I notice your Czech Dark Pils has North American malt. I would suggest to try German or European malt. There is a difference and if your going into NHC you need every advantage you can. The malt from Germany does have an edge in flavor compared to North American. I wouldn't use it in a American beer, but in a European beer I definitely would. WLP 800 has a reputation of diacetyl, but it's nothing a rest won't fix. You still have time to brew a test, beers aren't due until early June.

The California Common could be made with Wyeast 1007. It's super clean at 58F and it's a true ale yeast. It's a lot crisper than any of the Chico strains. The only problem with 1007 is that it's stubborn to drop, so long lagering is required.

I'm going to enter as well, and I'm changing up yeast a bit too. I've been making German Pils with 34/70 and it's really good. I used to hate that yeast, but now I love it.

Good luck! I hope you win big.
I've made it with Rahr, Bries Synergy, Viking and Avangard. Settled on the Rahr, make a lot of American beers and the Munich covers the gap pretty well. Scored 42.5 last time out, going from one clean yeast to another should be a pretty minor change, just looking for a small "tweak" on this one.

Actually just a little more of both. Was tied to Mauribrew Lager 497 due to the fact that is really an ale yeast lying to you about being a lager yeast(Dad is allergic to lager yeast), I recently discovered that WLP800 is also a lying ale yeast AND should be a better fit for my recipes. Shady Bohemian is a Czech Dark Lager, Shore Leave is a California Common.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/851263/shady-bohemian

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1193804/shore-leave-2-0
Havent used 833 yet but have used 838 a few times. it leaves a nice malty finish. I brewed a Marzen that came out real nice. Used 830 on a Helles, really good beer but maybe on the dry side. 860 helles might have been better/maltier, might work for you.

Used 830 on a Helles, really good beer but maybe on the dry side.
That's my experience with it too. Works really well on German Pils. Haven't tried 838 yet, not sure why I haven't. I tried every other yeast.

I'm thinking of entering a competition for the fun of it in a couple months. My question is this. For competitions, do most folks bottle condition or fill samples from kegs to send off? All advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking of entering a competition for the fun of it in a couple months. My question is this. For competitions, do most folks bottle condition or fill samples from kegs to send off? All advice is greatly appreciated.
Both. There are a lot of people who still bottle condition, I can’t imagine not bottle conditioning a Belgian. I guess if you have it in a keg already, bottling from the keg seems to be the most logical.

I’ve done both. Last 6-7 years I’ve mostly filled them from the keg. I fill them a day or two before I drop them off or ship them.

Yes, definitely.

I fill bottles from the keg. I’ve gotten into the habit bottling a few of most of my beers when they’re ready.

Thinking about changing up the yeast and entering both Shady Bohemian and Shore Leave in the National Homebrew Comp, going to tweak the recipes for WLP800 instead of Mauribrew 497 and dial the attenuation back a touch.
I fermented your Shady Bohemian with Fermentis W34/70, it was award winning in my opinion!

I fermented your Shady Bohemian with Fermentis W34/70, it was award winning in my opinion!
I used 34/70 and Diamond Lager(1 packet each) the first 2 batches. Only switched because my dad is allergic to pastorianus. I've been using the Mauribrew and am going to try White Labs WLP800 Pilsen Lager because they are cerevisiae and capable of producing good lagers in fact, after lagering, it's hard to tell 497 Lager from 34/70(although the green beer is noticably different).

Shipping out the beer for NHC this morning, packed the living hell out of those bottles, boxed up and ready to go. It was only AFTER all that, it occurred to me, Why not use PET bottles, I've got a couple cases of them and I would think they would ship better/cheaper than glass. Maybe next year.

Shipping out the beer for NHC this morning, packed the living hell out of those bottles, boxed up and ready to go. It was only AFTER all that, it occurred to me, Why not use PET bottles, I've got a couple cases of them and I would think they would ship better/cheaper than glass. Maybe next year.
Good luck!

Good luck Bulin! Keep us posted

I think competitions prefer plain brown glass bottles with plain caps. That way there is no way identify one particular beer from another.

The judges shouldn't be pouring them in the first place so that shouldn't be a consideration. At least not in the competitions I've participated in.

The judges shouldn't be pouring them in the first place so that shouldn't be a consideration. At least not in the competitions I've participated in.

The one competition I sent beer into stressed plain brown bottles with plain caps. The only identification allowed was the entry form rubber-banded to the bottles. It makes sense to have the non-judges pour and deliver the beers to the judging tables.

That seems to be boilerplate cause I see it everywhere and it's never honestly mattered. It's getting harder and harder to find unlabeled plain brown bottles so they're going to have to be somewhat tolerant.
I had a checklist of entries, that I labelled the entry number on the plastic cup, poured it in and put them on a tray for delivery. It would take ages if the judges had to open and pour the bottles too.

Stewards their called I rather the sitting at the table drinking beer job.
But I hear the Stewards can drink all they want once the beers have been judged.:D

All the best Bulin.

Pet bottles are quite common at regional competitions here In Aus I'm not sure about state n National maybe their more strict.

But usually it's entry number and no other identifier and 750ml bottle

Back