Homebrew competitors

Just shipped my beers this morning to NHC. Cutting it a bit close, so hopefully the shipment goes as planned.

The few times I was involved with brew comps, the steward would deliver the bottles one at a time to the judges. Each bottle had a random generated number that referenced back the the brewer and their beer. The judges would examine the bottle, open it and pour the beer themselves to judge head retention. The only information provided was the style or special ingredient. It was truly anonymous. I think I ended up giving them my own beer, had no clue who’s was who’s.

Just shipped my beers this morning to NHC. Cutting it a bit close, so hopefully the shipment goes as planned.

The few times I was involved with brew comps, the steward would deliver the bottles one at a time to the judges. Each bottle had a random generated number that referenced back the the brewer and their beer. The judges would examine the bottle, open it and pour the beer themselves to judge head retention. The only information provided was the style or special ingredient. It was truly anonymous. I think I ended up giving them my own beer, had no clue who’s was who’s.
Ah yes "Special Ingredient" it's tricky weather to put that on the entry or to leave them come to the conclusion.

I'm sure last year with my Lemon Myrtle saison I included the ingredient then they were like it's too much lol:D

I've never seen the judge pour it themselves but I suppose that is a way to do it.

Got a lousy 25 on the Belgian blond with abbey ale yeast. I got hammered for low carb , no head and a slight off flavor. That beverage line issue really killed me. Judge said it would have been in the 30s with just the carbonation right. All fixed now. Too bad. I might send it off somewhere else along with a pale ale and common.

Got a lousy 25 on the Belgian blond with abbey ale yeast. I got hammered for low carb , no head and a slight off flavor. That beverage line issue really killed me. Judge said it would have been in the 30s with just the carbonation right. All fixed now. Too bad. I might send it off somewhere else along with a pale ale and common.
Don't give up! You'll soon hit your stride.

Chin up man. I've had a 20 something lol was for a Saison that was infected atleast the judges judged them accordingly right;).
Good on you for having a go Wes.
Good luck with the next one.

I'd say the carbonation and head retention were responsible for eachother but with a slight infection that can kill head retention as well.

Cheap silicone lines I used were terrible. Couldn’t get them sanitized. Replaced all of that and soaked . Here’s the beer now and it’s good. Bit of haze, I didn’t use any finings but otherwise it’s what I was aiming for: a mild flavored Belgian blond.
D300F476-00F2-46CE-AF19-5F48E0C1A8E9.jpeg

Last edited:
I got a silver at NHC for Lynn's Lager, second year in a row. The rest of my beers bombed. Anyone else get anything?
Nice job, don’t know what they thought of mine, no medals. I’ll probably the “not to style” knock again. Find out when I get my sheets I guess.

Last edited:
Nice job, don’t know what they thought of mine, no medals. I’ll probably the “not to style” knock again. Find out when I get my sheets I guess.
It might be a while before we see any sheets, I'm curious to see how many tasting rounds the beers made.

I got a silver at NHC for Lynn's Lager, second year in a row. The rest of my beers bombed. Anyone else get anything?
Do I need to send a second handle? I mean, that's nothing to sneeze at!

Entering Beefed up Mild into QABC and my 2018 barleywine wine last time it got a third in competition will see if it's aged better or worse either way im bottling all the keg it's in.

Oh that beefed up Mild was the last bit of the keg!
If I'd left it longer I wouldn't of has enough beer LOL!

Still contemplating weather or not entering Herms wheat in American Wheat beer category I know it's not carbonated enough for style as is ATM I'll have to have a read of the BJCP style guidelines for that beer and make my decision then:)

Back