Homebrew competitors

That’s a respectable showing for sure. Congrats! American Lager is one of my favorite beers, even if it’s not considered a “craft” beer. Hard to make right, harder yet to medal with. What yeast did you use for your lagers?
S-23. This bad boy was 65% adjunct.

Have never really been motivated to enter any competitions, but by pure luck of what I have brewed recently and some poking from the wife I may enter a few beers in a local brewing competition. Pure luck because I happened to brew some of the styles that are in the competition that I just stubbled on. My first, and probably most important, question is this; is the competition for your ability to be a mad scientist and create a beer that fits a style or is it your ability to brew a good beer in the style, even if the recipe isn't specifically your creation.

Your beer is being compared strictly to style, judges have no idea what your recipe is or who created it. Although a lot of it is execution, there is some room to be creative within the guidelines. Making a really good beer that meets the style will stand out- take a look at Trialbens's scoresheet a page back: Flavor is worth the most.

Last edited:
your ability to brew a good beer in the style, even if the recipe isn't specifically your creation.
It is purely an ability to brew the best beer while staying within the style guidelines. Sometimes you brew a really good beer, but it doesn't fit into the category you intended. Example would be that you brewed a Germen Pils and when you taste it, it's malty, clean and delicious, but its not as dry as it should be. If you enter that beer as a Czech Premium Lager, it would score higher than a German Pils. Or if you weren't 100% sure what it was, you could enter it into multiply categories.

If the beer is well made, the judges are more likely to overlook or down play any small variations that land slightly outside the guidelines. Some Judges are very good and others not so much. I try not to blame the judges if I don't win, they have to evaluate the beer without any explanation of it. It can be tough for them. On the other hand I have had some beers that the judges either attribute flaws that weren't there or they miss a flaw that to me stood out. I had a Helles recently judged by a Grand Master and he missed the one flaw that stood out to me, it had a hint of corn in it. Very much out of style. I got a gold for it. Bad judging can go both ways.

I just shipped off a Helles Bock and an ESB to the Foam Cup in Oklahoma. First go with both beer styles and the ESB i bottled in ten days. I might look for another 2 bottle comp and to send the Export Stout.

Turkey Shoot in Maryland looks promising for a 2 bottle comp. For a Stout though, Christmas in Nevaded is probably perfect. only winter christmas themed beers, sort of: (stouts, porters, barlywine, strong ales, smoked beers, spice beers...etc over 6%)

Export Stout heading to Christmas in Vegas. there are still spots if anyone has something on their list of beers eligible.

I got a Bronze on the rushed Strong Bitter. Got hammered on the helles bock for being malty and not bitter enough. didnt seem out of style to me but ill surely use a cleaner German lager yeast next time maybe 830. Wlp838 was too much for the judges. Ibu was 33 though

I got a Bronze on the rushed Strong Bitter. Got hammered on the helles bock for being malty and not bitter enough. didnt seem out of style to me but ill surely use a cleaner German lager yeast next time maybe 830. Wlp838 was too much for the judges. Ibu was 33 though
830 will be drier, higher gravity lagers also benefit from a long rest at 145F (62-63C) in the mash. I have also found 34/70 dry yeast to work pretty much the same as WLP830. Dry but still a decent malt character.

Don’t get too hung up on the judging. One judge will destroy your beer, the next will praise it. Know the style and persevere to see it perfected.

Congrats!

It was really good, that was just the yeast i had on hand. Minor adjustment and it should be good

Another bronze, damn :eek:. I sent the export stout that finished a little high in to the "Christmas in Vegas" comp. 38,34. Both thought the beer was really good but too sweet for style. The 34 said he wanted to drink a whole bottle. Anyway, not sure why s04 stalled out but i'll have to fix that and do this one again.

Thinking about changing up the yeast and entering both Shady Bohemian and Shore Leave in the National Homebrew Comp, going to tweak the recipes for WLP800 instead of Mauribrew 497 and dial the attenuation back a touch.
Now how are you going to dial back attenuation? Mash high? Maybe this WLP800 may attenuate different than the Mauribrew...

Now how are you going to dial back attenuation? Mash high? Maybe this WLP800 may attenuate different than the Mauribrew...
WLP800 Pilsner Lager runs at about 74% apparent attenuation, Mauribrew is(in my experiance) a touch over 79%. Should finish 2-3 points higher.

WLP800 Pilsner Lager runs at about 74% apparent attenuation, Mauribrew is(in my experiance) a touch over 79%. Should finish 2-3 points higher.
WLP833 has a slightly lower attenuation than WLP800, but it takes longer to clear. Are you looking for more malt flavor or sweetness? What styles are you entering?

WLP833 has a slightly lower attenuation than WLP800, but it takes longer to clear. Are you looking for more malt flavor or sweetness? What styles are you entering?
Actually just a little more of both. Was tied to Mauribrew Lager 497 due to the fact that is really an ale yeast lying to you about being a lager yeast(Dad is allergic to lager yeast), I recently discovered that WLP800 is also a lying ale yeast AND should be a better fit for my recipes. Shady Bohemian is a Czech Dark Lager, Shore Leave is a California Common.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/851263/shady-bohemian

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1193804/shore-leave-2-0

Actually just a little more of both. Was tied to Mauribrew Lager 497 due to the fact that is really an ale yeast lying to you about being a lager yeast(Dad is allergic to lager yeast), I recently discovered that WLP800 is also a lying ale yeast AND should be a better fit for my recipes. Shady Bohemian is a Czech Dark Lager, Shore Leave is a California Common.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/851263/shady-bohemian

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1193804/shore-leave-2-0
I notice your Czech Dark Pils has North American malt. I would suggest to try German or European malt. There is a difference and if your going into NHC you need every advantage you can. The malt from Germany does have an edge in flavor compared to North American. I wouldn't use it in a American beer, but in a European beer I definitely would. WLP 800 has a reputation of diacetyl, but it's nothing a rest won't fix. You still have time to brew a test, beers aren't due until early June.

The California Common could be made with Wyeast 1007. It's super clean at 58F and it's a true ale yeast. It's a lot crisper than any of the Chico strains. The only problem with 1007 is that it's stubborn to drop, so long lagering is required.

I'm going to enter as well, and I'm changing up yeast a bit too. I've been making German Pils with 34/70 and it's really good. I used to hate that yeast, but now I love it.

Good luck! I hope you win big.

Back