Homebrew competitors

Can anyone comment on typical awards? i didn't have high expectations, but my gold place medal is pretty generic. It only says name of the competition. Identifying information is a sticker on the back. LOL. :confused: hoped it would look goldish or at least say the year, catagory and place. Booo lol
Sounds about right... My GABF medal says absolutely nothing about what it's for.

Most competitions, including AHA Nationals, are pretty cheap. It would be cool if it were like the Olympics, made out of gold, but no such luck. Surprisingly, smaller comps have the best prizes, but the medals are cheap. Some of the best medals I ever got were from Hoppy Halloween Comp. They hand made the necklace part of the medal. Very unique.

Ok. this was 10 or 12$ per entry. I wont epect much if i win something in the $7 per entry comp. coming up. i Looked at the back of this thing and the words and numbers are cut off on the sticker. Jeeze o_O
I am a believer in formative feedback. Perhaps a polite note expressing your disappointment at the lack of care in preparing your recognition might spur them to take more care in the future.

But, of course, the volunteer handling that next year might not be the one that did it this year, so it might not help at all.

Or you can volunteer to do it and take some care. Not saying you should.

Got a call today from QAB Comp organizer that one of my entries had broken in transit the Lemon Myrtle :oops: well he said if I can provide another bottle Express post in a wine parcel they will reimburse the costs. You little ripper ladies and gents dont ya love it when life goes your way :D

Comp is next weekend so lucky i still got some left in the keg here lol!

I rekon itll be worth it...

I wonder if they will reimburse you because it broke after they received it. Maybe "in transit" from the box to the shelf? Doesn't really matter though because it's awesome they are reimbursing you for shipping another one express!

I wonder if they will reimburse you because it broke after they received it. Maybe "in transit" from the box to the shelf? Doesn't really matter though because it's awesome they are reimbursing you for shipping another one express!
Reckons it broke in the box

No scoresheets from Memphis yet but i got the results and score. Won 2nd place with an American Stout. It didn't really score well at 34 though. The American IPA got hammered with a 22 LOL. The keg got destroyed here. maybe my ingredients pushed it into another IPA category, or something happened between here and there?
All four of these entries in the two different comps were first time brews. I guess i'm doing alright against club supported brewers. not thrilled with the scores though. I've got some fine tuning to do on these.

Last edited:
Won 2nd place with an American Stout.
Wow, congratulations!

34 is a number. You can't be certain that wouldn't have been a 43 somewhere else. As much as objectivity is the goal, this is inherently a subjective endeavor.

In other words, don't get too hung up on the number.

Wow, congratulations!

34 is a number. You can't be certain that wouldn't have been a 43 somewhere else. As much as objectivity is the goal, this is inherently a subjective endeavor.
In other words, don't get too hung up on
the number.

Thanks! and you're probably right.
-The stout is roasty and i've since reduced it in the recipe, although it was a good beer.
- I probably should have put the IPA in the specialty IPA catagory.

Last edited:
Thanks! and you're probably right.
-The stout is roasty and i've since reduced it in the recipe, although it was a good beer.
- I probably should have put the IPA in the specialty IPA catagory.
Scores have no bearing on mini BOS. A lowered scored beer can beat out a higher score. Some judges are stingy with scores, no matter, you got a silver.

Well got the scoresheets for Shady Bohemian and Shore Leave. The judges seem to be in agreement that Shore Leave was a little light on the hops and a bit too sweet. Copied and modified the recipe a bit, Ditched the Viking Cara 200 and Dextrine malts, subbed in a bit of Viking Munich Dark and Blackprinze(for color) and bumped the base malt just a bit. Should drop it a couple gravity points and make it a bit less sweet. Also bumped up the 2nd and 3rd hops additions just a bit to raise it about 3-4 ibu's. Really enjoy this beer, but I'm willing to try some minor changes, might just improve it.

Well got the scoresheets for Shady Bohemian and Shore Leave. The judges seem to be in agreement that Shore Leave was a little light on the hops and a bit too sweet. Copied and modified the recipe a bit, Ditched the Viking Cara 200 and Dextrine malts, subbed in a bit of Viking Munich Dark and Blackprinze(for color) and bumped the base malt just a bit. Should drop it a couple gravity points and make it a bit less sweet. Also bumped up the 2nd and 3rd hops additions just a bit to raise it about 3-4 ibu's. Really enjoy this beer, but I'm willing to try some minor changes, might just improve it.

Thanks for this post. Assuming the judges have it right, that's really interesting to me because they do go hand in hand, right? That BU:GU ratio...where should it land for the style? Maybe JUST upping the IBU's would be enough to balance the sweetness from the malt/mash?? And there are so many ways to try and reduce sweetness besides using less cara/crystal...mash long and low, add a bit of sugar, use a more aggressive yeast, etc.
This balance is definitely something that has perplexed me on a lot of beers because bitterness and sweetness are so damn subjective. A good wake up call for me to pay a bit more attention to the appropriate balance for each particular style.

i was trying to get my helles recipe to finsih drier than BF was calculating and i just couldn't get it right with the WLP838 i had. it was coming out at .015 so I switched yeast to WLP830 and perfect, .011. Finally brewed it last week.

Scores have no bearing on mini BOS. A lowered scored beer can beat out a higher score. Some judges are stingy with scores, no matter, you got a silver.
So i've read 30 is the number to have your beer sent to a mini-bos, although not all use that standard. At that point, do they have another panel of judges sample the minibos beers to determine 1st, 2nd, 3rd with no use of the original scorecards?

Thanks for this post. Assuming the judges have it right, that's really interesting to me because they do go hand in hand, right? That BU:GU ratio...where should it land for the style? Maybe JUST upping the IBU's would be enough to balance the sweetness from the malt/mash?? And there are so many ways to try and reduce sweetness besides using less cara/crystal...mash long and low, add a bit of sugar, use a more aggressive yeast, etc.
This balance is definitely something that has perplexed me on a lot of beers because bitterness and sweetness are so damn subjective. A good wake up call for me to pay a bit more attention to the appropriate balance for each particular style.
And then there is your brewing process maybe your up 4 points on preboil and your using the same amount of bittering hops well that will affect your BU to GU somewhat as well.

Back