Homebrew competitors

The Minnesota State Fair typically has 600-700 entries each year. This year it was limited to 250 total. The entry limit was 8 beers. I was planning on entering 9 beers, the most I have ever entered in any competition, but I had to drop to 8. So, yeah it's good to limit the amount of beers. I know some guys in the past would enter 12-15 beers, a bit much IMHO.

The judging is done and the results will be announced tomorrow at noon. Pretty exciting.

Edit: This year the MN State Fair competition filled up in about 24 hours, so there is a lot people who want to compete, but fewer competitions. Not only that, but there are more limits on the number of beers in the comp.

Just looking over the results from the Manitowoc County Fair. Now maybe it’s just me(have the same issue with the Wisconsin State Fair), but if you are going to limit it to 100 entrees, maybe you should limit entries per person. If one guy medals with 11 different beers out of 100 entries allowed…isn’t that excessive?
Perhaps 1 beer per person, then a week later a second beer (if slots available) and so on until it's full. That way everyone can get in one, and the competition will eventually fill up with those wanting multiples.

The alternative is to enter 100 beers, guaranteeing a clean sweep of every category :rolleyes:

Well scores are posted, REALLY want to see the sheets for my cream ale. I know it wasn't as clear as it could be, but for the life of me I can't figure out how it could have only scored 20 points.

On another note, also saw my scores from "For What It's Wort" where Shady Bohemian scored 42.5 and Shore Leave got 34.

Last edited:
Well scores are posted, REALLY want to see the sheets for my cream ale. I know it wasn't as clear as it could be, but for the life of me I can't figure out how it could have only scored 20 points.

On another note, also saw my scores from "For What It's Wort" where Shady Bohemian scored 42.5 and Shore Leave got 34.
Nice work Tim! I'm sure that 20 stings a little, but great job on the other two especially Shady Boh :D it's a helluva beer

I find that judges focus on style adherence, so compare your cream ale to the official style description.

Then drink another, 'cause a judge can have a bad day too...:p

Bravo on a 42.5. Those kind of scores don’t come easily.

Well they just announced the MN State fair results:

Gold for a Helles
Silver for an American Lager
Gold for a Czech Pils
Silver for a Marzen
Silver for an English Brown Ale
Bronze for a Maibock

I won the competition in overall points and was given the Minkasi award. Pretty good day for me to say the least! I entered 8 so it was a really good showing overall.

Gold for a Helles
Gold for a Czech Pils
Silver for a Marzen
Bronze for a Maibock

I won the competition in overall points and was given the Minkasi award. Pretty good day for me to say the least! I entered 8 so it was a really good showing overall.
Congrats Wayne!

Gold for a Helles
Gold for a Czech Pils
Silver for a Marzen
Bronze for a Maibock

To quote Keanu Reeves...."whoa..."

Gold for a Helles
Gold for a Czech Pils
Silver for a Marzen
Bronze for a Maibockl.
I think I am drinking that Helles at the moment...and it's great. I can see why it got a gold.
Ditto the Pils (that was yesterday)
Congratulations Wayne

Gold for a Helles
Gold for a Czech Pils
Silver for a Marzen
Bronze for a Maibock

Congratulations!

Gold for a Helles
Gold for a Czech Pils
Silver for a Marzen
Bronze for a Maibock

Holly Crap that's awesome!

Gold for a Helles
Gold for a Czech Pils
Silver for a Marzen
Bronze for a Maibock

Wow incredible haul! Some good beers flowing from high voltage! Great job.

Can anyone comment on typical awards? i didn't have high expectations, but my gold place medal is pretty generic. It only says name of the competition. Identifying information is a sticker on the back. LOL. :confused: hoped it would look goldish or at least say the year, catagory and place. Booo lol

Last edited:
Awards (in general, not specifically for brewing competitions) are often proportional to the product of the entry fee and the number of entries.

Inexpensive small local comps, maybe just a certificate. National huge $29 comps, somewhat nicer medals or trophies.

My observations only!

Ok. this was 10 or 12$ per entry. I wont epect much if i win something in the $7 per entry comp. coming up. i Looked at the back of this thing and the words and numbers are cut off on the sticker. Jeeze o_O

Back