Fermentation stop to fast (2nd time 2nd bach)

night time a drop 4-5 Celsius next day+4-5 night time -4-5
Just in regards to fermentation temperature, yeast are living organisms, they need a stable temperature in a range that is comfortable for them so they aren't stressed. If your fermentation temperature fluctuated between -5 to +5 Celsius for the duration, this is way below a comfortable temperature.

Just in regards to fermentation temperature, yeast are living organisms, they need a stable temperature in a range that is comfortable for them so they aren't stressed. If your fermentation temperature fluctuated between -5 to +5 Celsius for the duration, this is way below a comfortable temperature.
Flactuate 19-25 i believe
I'm not sure because i don't use thermometer right now
The outside temperature flactuate from 26 at day to 12 at night,

But they won't die!
First of all, the volume of the brew will slow temperature fluctuations down.
Secondly, it's not ideal, but when I moved I had no temp control and just a duvet around the fermenter gave pretty OK beers (day time high of 24, low of 10)

But they won't die!
First of all, the volume of the brew will slow temperature fluctuations down.
Secondly, it's not ideal, but when I moved I had no temp control and just a duvet around the fermenter gave pretty OK beers (day time high of 24, low of 10)
This! You will get some off flavors from the stressed yeast, depending on the strain. Autolysis? Nope

Oh, I misunderstood, that was the amount of fluctuation, I thought -4 and +5 were your outside temperatures.
Still, a 14 degree swing in temperature is not ideal.
Like I said they are living organisms, but they don't have sweaters that they can take off and put back on like we do.
You and I could sit out in shorts and T shirts in 26 degree weather, but when the temperature dropped to 12 we would NOT be comfortable.
Not that the wort will drop that much as it has some mass to it, but the fluctuation in temperature is not ideal.
Could it cause what you are seeing now, I don't know, but stable fermentation temperature is an important aspect of making beer.

As @Zambi mentioned the volume of beer itself will lag behind the ambient temperature but you've got some serious temperature fluctuations there. So yeast stress due to temperature fluctuations seems likely. Good news is that even without a refrigerator you can still do temperature control. To keep high temperatures down you can make a swamp cooler. Basically put your fermentation bucket in a large bucket and fill about 1/3 of water. Drape thin towels or t-shirts over the fermenter that hang into the water. The water will be wicked up by the towel/t-shirts and evaporate. That will cool the beer a few degrees. Using a fan will increase evaporation and therefore cooling. You can also add ice blocks to the swamp cooler water. Freeze water in plastic bottles and rotate them as needed. If you want to raise temperature, you can put blankets around your fermenter. I would strongly recommend getting a thermometer for your fermenter. The stick-on thermometers are cheap and fairly accurate.

He claims that because of yeast stress during intense fermentation day's (day 2 and 3) because of temperature drop fast, this is something bosible to happen here as i said i ferment without temperature control, even without temperature gauge, so it's bosible night time a drop 4-5 Celsius next day+4-5 night time -4-5 so if this theory is valid it's something can happen here,
I try copper but i think both smell the same..
when you brew again, store it inside.

this should prevent many of the problems. you can also put a blanket on it that would help with temp fluctuations. <--"The Zambi Special"

You can cover and uncover it to help regulate temps.

I would also look at using VOSS. it wont care and will be done before temp can effect it.

My glycol chiller has been broken all week so my temps have all be wild. luckily Voss does not care! Im filling all of my tanks so that once im able to chill again, I can crash them and pack them!

My next brew will be in refrigerator with temperature control system.
I will clean it now to prepare it.
Can you tell me for the faucet, i disamble it, right? There is any other part i can open to clean?
Also why those things are floating? Seems to be hopes and stuff..
IMG_20240524_192222.jpg
IMG_20240524_192239.jpg
IMG_20240524_192127.jpg
IMG_20240524_192111.jpg

My next brew will be in refrigerator with temperature control system.
I will clean it now to prepare it.
Can you tell me for the faucet, i disamble it, right? There is any other part i can open to clean?
Also why those things are floating? Seems to be hopes and stuff..
View attachment 29481View attachment 29482View attachment 29483View attachment 29484
just hop material and proteins. nothing is particually bad there.

changes I would make in the next batch.

1) NO BLEACH! just clean it with your oxy cleaner. then sanitize with star san. 10+ years of doing this, I have never used bleach. dump the star out minutes before you fill it. that way you no chance for weirdness to get it.

2) use RO or distilled water on this next one and see how that goes.

Yep, looks normal to me.

I'm not sure how to say this as I understand you are worried about infections...
But
Use bought water and a simple recipe.
Clean everything properly and then just leave it alone for the fermentation time.
No opening, no peeking, no sampling.
I would go as far as saying: no measuring.
Leave it alone.
Leave it to do its job for 10-14 days.
Then keg, bottle and take a sample & taste

It's more important to me to learn than to drink, I want to know why this is happening so to be a little bit better breweer.
I will brew again same process same water, i will change only the stable temperature fermenting.
If I use different way and different water i will never learn what happened
Meanwhile i must make a trip with family to miss for 3 weeks, I will brew it and put it in refrigerator for 3 weeks.. I don't think will be any issue because of that

I think your better bet would be same process, different water
Your last batch may not have been infected, but most of your previous ones were.
But it's up to you.

On a side note: i have successfully made beer living in a tent. No kitchen, no temperature control, sanitation as good as possible under the circumstances, but no star san available
And still decent beer.

I think your better bet would be same process, different water
Your last batch may not have been infected, but most of your previous ones were.
But it's up to you.

On a side note: i have successfully made beer living in a tent. No kitchen, no temperature control, sanitation as good as possible under the circumstances, but no star san available
And still decent beer.
i agree. changing 1 varible is best. i would change water

All my previous bad batches was infected because of bad
i agree. changing 1 varible is best. i would change water
But I will change the temperature control.. if I change water will be 2 variable..
I can change the water and ferment outside of the refrigerator but can't do that it's a lager next one

I have already ordered the ingredients

All my previous bad batches was infected because of bad

But I will change the temperature control.. if I change water will be 2 variable..
I can change the water and ferment outside of the refrigerator but can't do that it's a lager next one

I have already ordered the ingredients
while temp control is important. I dont see that as a varible.
being methodical is important, so just make your next change water :)

I agree with the above.

Beer is mostly water.

Back