Fermentation stop to fast (2nd time 2nd bach)

It's so simple as is sounds?
I brought pilsner malt only
Pilsner malt is perfectly fine for a light ale. With some ale yeast, you do not have to keep the beer cold for a month (or more!) before you drink it.

I suggest using the same kind of yeast as in your last beer.

Tomorrow morning it's brew day..
I don't have ale yeast.. i have only a used in the jar , i just hold it for some Apple cider.
So tomorrow brewing a lager... Yeast is S-23.

Fermentation has be on the cooler side. 50F or so. (Yeast dependent) Once primary is done, you want to raise temp to 65F for a diacytl rest or you will have a butter bomb.

After that i crash to 34F over the next 2 days. This speed of the crash is disputed, but that is how I do it. :p
Can you give me a timeline for those temperatures?
How many days for primary?(Yeast S 23)
How many days diacytl rest? And what you mean saying i will have a butter bomb if I don't do that step?
After that how many days cold crash before keg/bottle?
As i said i will split it in 2 half in the keg half in bottles, what is the recommended dextrose to use per liter??
Tia

Can you give me a timeline for those temperatures?
How many days for primary?(Yeast S 23)
How many days diacytl rest? And what you mean saying i will have a butter bomb if I don't do that step?
After that how many days cold crash before keg/bottle?
As i said i will split it in 2 half in the keg half in bottles, what is the recommended dextrose to use per liter??
Tia
Basically once active fermentation is done, raise temp to 65F and leave it for 2-3 days. Then crash it. I usually crash for 2 days. No real rule, it just helps clear it faster.

I would look up a calc for the priming sugar if you intend to bottle it. Different amounts for different styles

Sort of standard for natural carbonation is 6 to 8 gram table sugar per litre.

What bottles are you using?

Sort of standard for natural carbonation is 6 to 8 gram table sugar per litre.

What bottles are you using?
0,5 liters so i put in the bottles 3gram.
now i'm mashing this pilsner, i will boil it in 10 min.
i make some reaserch last days, truth is i didn't know anything about lager, i was thinging that is same thing diffrend yeast.
anyway i try do my best on this one, i used mineral bottled water
I just saw i need to boil this 90 minutes? if i wanted to use us 05 yeast i sould boil it 90 minutes or this is only a lager thing

0,5 liters so i put in the bottles 3gram.
now i'm mashing this pilsner, i will boil it in 10 min.
i make some reaserch last days, truth is i didn't know anything about lager, i was thinging that is same thing diffrend yeast.
anyway i try do my best on this one, i used mineral bottled water
I just saw i need to boil this 90 minutes? if i wanted to use us 05 yeast i sould boil it 90 minutes or this is only a lager thing
Boil time is usually for hop additions or getting the malliard reaction you want. I have never boiled that long.

Boil time is usually for hop additions or getting the malliard reaction you want. I have never boiled that long.
I should have asked this since yesterday, i'm already boiling 40minutes, i add hopes 10 minutes ago.

I think the longer boil relates back to pilsner malt producing more dms, hence longer cooking to get rid of it
No longer necessary, with the malts we have these days, I believe

I boil it 90 minutes anyway.
Preboil gravity was very close to recipe, taste greate, until now everything is good
i will cool it until 22-25 celsius, after that i will put it in fermentor and let it in the refrigarator until drop to 11, then i will put the yeast in to it

I boil it 90 minutes anyway.
Preboil gravity was very close to recipe, taste greate, until now everything is good
i will cool it until 22-25 celsius, after that i will put it in fermentor and let it in the refrigarator until drop to 11, then i will put the yeast in to it
That sounds a bit low..
Below data sheet for S23 says 12-18 oC, I would probably go sit at around 14
Screenshot_20240528-135552.jpg

That sounds a bit low..
Below data sheet for S23 says 12-18 oC, I would probably go sit at around 14
View attachment 29519
You're right.
I'm waiting now, probably will take some hours,
I have original gravity 1034 recipe was 1041, i think i make wrong calculations to the water because i ended up with more than desirable quantity of wort.
Don't care about that now, i just want to be drinkable, probably will be less alcohol

Maybe you came up with a great recipe for a low alcohol lager :)

1.034 is probably going to be table beer.
If you get a non-rinse sanitizer like a StarSan, sanitize thoroughly, and use proper temps, you should get beer. I ferment everything for 13-15 days. Don't touch it. Let it do its thing. On a lager yeast, run mid 50s F. 62F for the D Rest at low Krausen (day 3ish with a heavy pitch). Let it run that way until you are ready to crash at the end of fermentation (near 2 weeks).

About 20 hours i was waiting to drop the temperature to 14 Celsius my refrigerator is effective but to slow.
I just pich the yeast but trying to open the lid i made a move and lid pop up, some of lid touch the beer and my half air trap drop in to the wort...
I use another air trap

Last edited:
For a lager yeast, set your refrigerator around 48F the night before you brew. Brew the beer, cool the wort quickly with a wort chiller down to around 78-80F. Place it in the 48 degree refrigerator for 3 hours sealed up without pitching. That should give you a decent pitching temp in the 60s. Place a bowl of sanitizer next to the fermenter in the refrigerator. Three hours later, sanitize your yeast packet, scissors, and anything that is going to contact the beer at that point. Pitch yeast, make sure the top is sanitized, and put it back on. Turn the refrigerator up to the mid 50s. If you pitch within a few hours into a container that was sealed, sanitize the shit out of everything, and cool your wort quickly so it isn't exposed as long, you will substantially reduce your risk of infection.

For a lager yeast, set your refrigerator around 48F the night before you brew. Brew the beer, cool the wort quickly with a wort chiller down to around 78-80F. Place it in the 48 degree refrigerator for 3 hours sealed up without pitching. That should give you a decent pitching temp in the 60s. Place a bowl of sanitizer next to the fermenter in the refrigerator. Three hours later, sanitize your yeast packet, scissors, and anything that is going to contact the beer at that point. Pitch yeast, make sure the top is sanitized, and put it back on. Turn the refrigerator up to the mid 50s. If you pitch within a few hours into a container that was sealed, sanitize the shit out of everything, and cool your wort quickly so it isn't exposed as long, you will substantially reduce your risk of infection.
I thing my first lager will go in the toilet to.. iwasn't prepair enough, i'm afraid that airtrap and the lid touch in the wort, infect the beer, anyway i can't do anything than wait

I thing my first lager will go in the toilet to.. iwasn't prepair enough, i'm afraid that airtrap and the lid touch in the wort, infect the beer, anyway i can't do anything than wait
The lid and airlock were sanitized as well, right? Wouldn't worry about it until it's done.

The lid and airlock were sanitized as well, right? Wouldn't worry about it until it's done.
airlock yes, but i tuch it some times with my hands, also lid same thing i touch it many times (from the outside)
Any way we will see, now i'm just waiting, airlock don't have any activity yet its ben 12 hours

It's happened to me before.
Not the airlock part, but touching the beer with my hand.
I can't really remember why.
Anyway, the beer turned out fine, so yes, let it go...

Back