Apparently we don't brew real beer

..."unfiltered" is the euphemism used for "we don't have time or equipment to make a properly cleared beer". I haven't seen a clear beer on tap at a craft brewery for a long time. They just blow it from the fermenter into the brite tank and start serving. That beer looks barely carbed - it's got the soda-pop-bubble head to prove it. :D I'm sure it's quite drinkable but I know from experience that you've personally made likely better and more "proper" German style beer. :)
It's a real imported German beer... But I hear what you're saying. It's from Velteins, a reaction to what they perceive as market demand. They've caught the "keller" craze too. But I've had beer from small German breweries long ago that was hazy.... Either way, that one was good but the German Amber I have fermenting now will be bright.

Ok...down the wabbit hole we go! https://camra.org.uk/ For the DRITTL, here's the short story!

So CAMRA is about drinking beer not making beer but the beer they drink and HOW that beer is made and carbonated is what matters to them. Real Ale being the beer of choice and it's real ale that is not force carbonated.
From their web site:

By the time CAMRA was founded, 50 years ago, beers that continue to be conditioned by live yeast in a bottle had all but disappeared in the UK. However, as part of the general revival of interest in more flavourful beers, such beers have returned and the principle has been expanded to include some beers that condition in another sealed containers, such as cans, cellar tanks, and membrane kegs

It's a real imported German beer... But I hear what you're saying. It's from Velteins, a reaction to what they perceive as market demand. They've caught the "keller" craze too. But I've had beer from small German breweries long ago that was hazy.... Either way, that one was good but the German Amber I have fermenting now will be bright.
I think there's definitely a place for "fresh" beers. I just think that there's no distinction now and most breweries push product prematurely rather than give just a little extra time to let beer settle properly -probably necessary just to stay afloat, financially, but that's just bad business planning. I've visited some breweries in the NW a number of times over 6 years or so and some which once had a spectacular lineup now have basically fresh-fermented beer in several different shades of color and all more or less hazy. The flavors are muddled and it's hard to tell one from another in a flight.

I think there's definitely a place for "fresh" beers. I just think that there's no distinction now and most breweries push product prematurely rather than give just a little extra time to let beer settle properly -probably necessary just to stay afloat, financially, but that's just bad business planning. I've visited some breweries in the NW a number of times over 6 years or so and some which once had a spectacular lineup now have basically fresh-fermented beer in several different shades of color and all more or less hazy. The flavors are muddled and it's hard to tell one from another in a flight.
Agreed.

I really thought I'd stumbled up on another joke thread. Like another poster, first I shat, then I giggled. I think I started chuckling pretty hard when I got to the hi-fallutin' farts comment. It made me reminisce George Carlin's Fart List. "The fiz, the faz, the fiz-faz, the rip-shit, the tear-ass, and the ones that go WHOOSH!" I still think George Carlin knew more about farts than that guy does about beer/ale. Gotta be one, somewhere, about EVERYTHING. Literally, laughing out loud, and explaining to the missus why.

I really thought I'd stumbled up on another joke thread. Like another poster, first I shat, then I giggled. I think I started chuckling pretty hard when I got to the hi-fallutin' farts comment. It made me reminisce George Carlin's Fart List. "The fiz, the faz, the fiz-faz, the rip-shit, the tear-ass, and the ones that go WHOOSH!" I still think George Carlin knew more about farts than that guy does about beer/ale. Gotta be one, somewhere, about EVERYTHING. Literally, laughing out loud, and explaining to the missus why.
Yeah it's a doosey we get em here every now and again :D

Nothing beats a fart joke.

I don’t think it’s so much filtered vs unfiltered or even “Keller” beer. I think a lot breweries are content with selling $h1+ beer. It kind of sucks, actually.

I don’t think it’s so much filtered vs unfiltered or even “Keller” beer. I think a lot breweries are content with selling $h1+ beer. It kind of sucks, actually.
Agreed. Know any good breweries in San Antonio? Wife and I will be there next week.

So I did a little digging in the author, Andy Parker. It looks as though he's one of us and is expanding his brewing beyond his own brewing and blogging and has channeled his skills through a book and the CAMRA membership to sell it. Good on him I say! If a "how to" book is a means to add a to a dedicated real ale drinking customer base and keep the UK's publicans, like Mr. Parker, in business, more power to 'em! Wanting to drink good beer is what bought me to the party!

And that troll is still an ass and farts are funny!

So, I went quiet for about 6 months. Despondent about a couple of bad brews and the huge mission it was to brew on the setup I had. I sorted that out and come back to see this thread has grown a life of it's own! I loved reading every post. I have now farted, shat and giggled.

So, I went quiet for about 6 months. Despondent about a couple of bad brews and the huge mission it was to brew on the setup I had. I sorted that out and come back to see this thread has grown a life of it's own! I loved reading every post. I have now farted, shat and giggled.

So what's your next brew @RalphK and how can we help? Bad how?

Welcome back, I dumped half a batch on the floor yesterday so I can sympathize with things going wrong. If we can help let us know.

Back