Smoking, grilling and curing foods, etc.

I have a few pounds of that I cooked left over from a wedding, vacuum packed and frozen now, just mixed it with my scrambled eggs this morning, makes a nice flavor

That's some nice looking pig!

Miriam went out and picked what was left yesterday. Expecting frost, so didn't want to lose any of this years meager harvest. About 3 lbs. mixed Jalapeños, Poblanos, bells and Italian sweet peppers.View attachment 7384 Making salsa today, so picking both ripe and green tomatoes. Fresh salsa with the reds and canning some salsa verde with the greens.
Bless Miriams heart

Home alone yesterday even (Dangerous:p)
So couldn't pass up the opportunity to get some pork rice and veg cooking my favourite favourite combo!
20191020_081933.jpg

Pork rib chuck this in oven 180c alfoil on top tight 2 hours turn over in middle.
Made a sauce for it
1/2 cup tomatoes sauce
1/4 Worcestershire
1/4 malt vinigar
1/4 dijohn mustard
1/4 brown sugar packed tight.
3tsp smoked paprika
1tsp cumin
Some oregano from garden
Cook in pan till a sauce add 2 tbsp of sauce too about 300ml hot water for the cook.
20191019_181017.jpg

That's it after 2 hours now baste with that sauce you made and wack it on the BBQ turning 5mins.
20191019_182846.jpg

Now destroy :p!

Now that's some good looking pig. And ya ate without me :(

Got a good deal on a pack of 4 tri tips weighing in at just over 12 lbs. Since I already had a couple of nice ones vacuum packed in the freezer, decided to make some sausages. Ground about 4 lbs. for burgers and made 5 lbs.of beef links that I'll be smoking and packaging tomorrow. Probably make some bulk sausage out of the rest of it.

Got hog casings loaded on the stuffer spout and ready to get started:
Ready.jpg

Dang! Just beginning and already thirsty!

Oops.jpg

They'll rest in the fridge for the night and hit the smoker tomorrow with some Applewood from a friend that ran one of his apple trees through the chipper.
Stuffed.jpg

Can’t wait to see the smoked sausage.

Here ya go! Had a bit of an accident when I brought it in from the smoker. As I opened the door the top rack slipped off of the tray. When I tried for the save, the other rack hit the porch too. Packed them into a big bowl and rinsed them well.

Smoked.jpg

A few broke open, so they went into the oven with the ham I'm cooking. The rest were vacuum packed and wert into the freezer. It was cold and windy, so had to rotate the racks around in an attempt to get everything smoked evenly. Turned out pretty good in the end.

Packaged.jpg

Here ya go! Had a bit of an accident when I brought it in from the smoker. As I opened the door the top rack slipped off of the tray. When I tried for the save, the other rack hit the porch too. Packed them into a big bowl and rinsed them well.

View attachment 7704
A few broke open, so they went into the oven with the ham I'm cooking. The rest were vacuum packed and wert into the freezer. It was cold and windy, so had to rotate the racks around in an attempt to get everything smoked evenly. Turned out pretty good in the end.

View attachment 7705
No big deal, need to chill quickly in cold water to set the fat anyway;)

Buttery love! I'm jealous as hell. I may put the Thanksgiving beast on the 'q if the weather holds out. Meats looking good!

Buttery love! I'm jealous as hell. I may put the Thanksgiving beast on the 'q if the weather holds out. Meats looking good!

We're supposed to have a big white storm coming through on Thanksgiving day. My bird goes on the Traeger regardless of weather. I'll sit in the house, stay warm, drink beer(and maybe some whiskey) and watch the remote thermometer until it's done :) That reminds me, need to stock up on pellets.

Back