Smoking, grilling and curing foods, etc.

We're also expecting crap weather during that time. My biggest problem when it gets that cold is keeping the temps up enough to cook in a reasonable amount of time. I like to cook my birds at a higher temp or the outside gets a bit rubbery.

We're also expecting crap weather during that time. My biggest problem when it gets that cold is keeping the temps up enough to cook in a reasonable amount of time. I like to cook my birds at a higher temp or the outside gets a bit rubbery.

I have no problem maintaining 350 for the cook, just takes a boat load of pellets. I agree that the skin needs to be crispy and that ain't happening unless you keep the temp up.

I'm moving forward with hopefully cooking the winged beast outside on Thursday. We have a big storm rolling in today and basically lasting through the week. I think the temps when I would need to get the bird on Thursday a.m. are slated to be about 13f with a high around 30.

Looks like the weather guessers have moved our forecasted storm up to hitting late tomorrow afternoon and only lasting overnight. Supposed to get close to 40 for a high on Thursday, so perfect weather for dead turkeys.

As a side note: been hearing a lot about beef cheeks lately and saw some at Sam's Club. Picked up a 7 ;b. package and decided to thaw and cook them up yesterday. I cheated and used the slow cooker to do some barbacoa. Turned out great, but not worth the trouble. About 50% fat & silver skin and a royal pain in the a$$ to trim. Will stick to chuck for my barbacoa from now on.
Cheeks.jpg

Looks like the weather guessers have moved our forecasted storm up to hitting late tomorrow afternoon and only lasting overnight. Supposed to get close to 40 for a high on Thursday, so perfect weather for dead turkeys.

As a side note: been hearing a lot about beef cheeks lately and saw some at Sam's Club. Picked up a 7 ;b. package and decided to thaw and cook them up yesterday. I cheated and used the slow cooker to do some barbacoa. Turned out great, but not worth the trouble. About 50% fat & silver skin and a royal pain in the a$$ to trim. Will stick to chuck for my barbacoa from now on.View attachment 8034
I've never done cheek myself, but some of my favorite meat when done right.

It is great stuff, but will let someone else prepare It in the future :)
I remember cutting the beef cheeks off when I worked in slaughter factory here in aus thinking who's gunna eat this stuff :D looks like Bob and thunderwagon doo. Oh same as pigs eyeballs we had to scoop them out what the :eek: who eats them anyhow was a learning curve :rolleyes:.

How about chitterlings Ben. Ever tried them?

Eye of newton? Knee of bee? Hip of rose?

How about chitterlings Ben. Ever tried them?
Dont even know what part of the beast that be from Bob...
If its offal nope I stick to the more generalized muscle groups rump forequarter rib fillet ect ect.

If its offal nope I stick to the more generalized muscle groups rump forequarter rib fillet ect ect.
Have to agree with you Ben... nothin like a great steak. Hats off to those that are more adventurous!

It's the most awful of offal. Even an ex-Kentucky redneck like me won't eat them.

It's the most awful of offal. Even an ex-Kentucky redneck like me won't eat them.
Rocky Mountain Oysters are the portion of the beef that steers no longer posess @Trialben . If properly processed and prepared are considered a delicacy. Been there tried that, was ok, but ya, whatever.

It's the small intestines of a pig. Really good stuff. My wife won't let me cook them in the house. She hates the smell :)

Back