Smoking, grilling and curing foods, etc.

Just rotated a couple of half chickens. First time grilling in awhile. Dry brined with SPG and cooking w/Hickory & Apple pellets at 325F.

Yard Birds.jpg

I did chicken on a beer can for years. Last few years I’m with you on the half’s. Easier to season and control heat, faster, and nice sear.

If you want a good whole grilled chicken. use the beer can stand without the can of liquid. The bird will cook faster and be more flavorful. All the can does is retard the cooking. If you check the contents of the can after the cook, you'll find that it's usually just full of hot beer with a minimal float of fat. I've either halved or spatchcocked for the last several years.

Man, I'm Jones'en to fire up something with wood, coal, smoke. Our weather has been crap for weeks.
I've resorted to bread...
Chickens look good @BOB357 I'm with you guys on the half or spatchcock. They just cook so much more evenly and better.

You must be getting our weather and your own. We've had the mildest Winter I can remember.

Speaking of sourdough, started another starter 2 days ago, fed yesterday afternoon and it was more than doubled in size this morning. Thinking this one is going to work.
Fingers crossed there bob I've got another bread proofing for tomorrow morning.

Just finished trimming down a couple slabs to St. Louis style. Got them salted, a good coat of Memphis Dust on them and ready to go into the fridge for a couple of hours. Supposed to creep into the high 60s today and then snow overnight, only getting into the mid 40s tomorrow. Gotta get some Q done now.

Ribs.jpg

Just finished trimming down a couple slabs to St. Louis style. Got them salted, a good coat of Memphis Dust on them and ready to go into the fridge for a couple of hours. Supposed to creep into the high 60s today and then snow overnight, only getting into the mid 40s tomorrow. Gotta get some Q done now.

View attachment 8904
Oh man I need some Q!

Those look absolutely wonderful. We have sauced a few pork steaks on the pellet grill but no time yet as weather changes for some of dem!

Oh man I need some Q!

Assuming the weather's keeping you from doing a cook. Wasn't too many years ago that I'd fire up the grill in even when it was cold and snowing. The old bones won't let me do that anymore, so I try to seize every comfortable opportunity during the Winter. Q comes in third on my list of favorites, right behind beer and whiskey :)

Back