Whirlpool & Dry Hop amounts...?

JMG1994

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So i have been getting help on here and on other forums to get advice on my first real brewing recipe. Everything looks good, as far as I see, but some people are saying I need more hops in the WP and DH for this 2 gallon batch. Can anyone give me an estimate usage rate per gallon? And, if you could, look over the rest and see if things are jiving. I kinda messed up my first brew so I am trying to correct the mistakes. Thanks!

Link: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/717924/new-england-ipa

I just scaled it up to what size I brew and it's in line although the ibu is kind of low, I see you have a little hardness so that might help

I just scaled it up to what size I brew and it's in line although the ibu is kind of low, I see you have a little hardness so that might help
Thanks for the check...I might throw a little more galaxy in the WP then...we are going for a lower end NEIPA but I am glad it is all balancing out. You think I should add any salts?

I don't know your starting water profile so I cant tell ya

I didn't see this but that flaked oats amount is too much, this is scaled up and you can see 7 pounds is too much
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/726510/new-england-ipa

Calcium (ppm):

Sulfates (ppm):

Magnesium (ppm):

Sodium (ppm):

Chloride (ppm):

Carbonates (ppm):

Above is the approximate levels in Pittsburgh ( the place where we are brewing)
And for the oats...why is it exactly too high? Would adding more wheat even it out? Thanks for all the help.

You could think in terms of 1 to 2 Oz per gallon in whirlpool and dryhop. It'll be hard to get too much. Oats at 20 percent is a lot. I wouldn't use any more than 10 percent. Also 2 percent Pilsner isn't doing any good for you. Unless you're just using up odds and ends leave it out or up it to a much more substantial percentage.

Thanks for the check...I might throw a little more galaxy in the WP then...we are going for a lower end NEIPA but I am glad it is all balancing out. You think I should add any salts?

You may get more value adding the galaxy during the dry hop (assuming you want that tropical fruit flavour front and centre). The flameout steeping hops don't generally give as much flavour as the dry hop, but they do add more to the haze that your grain bill has already started. For the NEIPA it looks like that cooking analogy of layering flavours is relevant, except it's layering lipids and proteins that form the haze that then capture more of the hop materials, keeping it in the beer instead of dropping to the bottom of the fermenter.

You could even ramp the protein up a bit more by doing 10% wheat malt and 5% unmalted wheat. I never get the efficiency that the calculator assumes for the unmalted wheat (maybe I should do a protein rest), so I drop my efficiency when I use that one (or add a custom grain that doesn't add much sugar).

The last one I did that I was happy with was 3g/L for the whirlpool/steeping and two 2.5g/L dry hops, one a day after fermentation kicked in and the last one just as fermentation was about to finish. But I think I'm on the lower end of these.

Back