Cherry Coffee Imperial Stout Feedback Request

Argentum

Trial Member
Reaction score
I put this together based on some recipes I saw online and some things that have worked for me.

11 lb 2 row
3 lb dark Munich
8 oz carastan
8 oz crystal 90
8 oz chocolate malt
8 oz brown malt
5 oz roasted barley
8 oz flaked oats

Mash 60 min at 155

1.5 oz northern brewer 60 minutes
.5 oz northern brewer 1 min

Yeast: Wyeast 1028.

Thinking of 1-2 oz freshly ground coffee and either cherries or cherry juice (32 oz?) in the secondary. I don't want the cherry to be overwhelming or too sour, so hopefully a moderate amount + crystal malts will work.

I think with the juice this will yield about a 10.24% abv beer. The grains alone would get me to about 1.090 OG, assume the juice adds another .010 to bring me to 1.100, with about 77% attenuation that gets me to 1.022 or 10.24%. Any feedback would be appreciated - thanks!

what's carastan? never heard of it before

im not as minimalist as some people here with their grain bills, but there seems to be too much going on with those specialty malts. Specifically the chocolate, brown, and roasted barley. Maybe that could be simplified a little bit?

other than that, it sounds like a good one. i'm thinking something like a chocolate cherry cordial as the end result

what's carastan? never heard of it before

im not as minimalist as some people here with their grain bills, but there seems to be too much going on with those specialty malts. Specifically the chocolate, brown, and roasted barley. Maybe that could be simplified a little bit?

other than that, it sounds like a good one. i'm thinking something like a chocolate cherry cordial as the end result

"30-40° L. Bairds Carastan is a British crystal malt with a caramel/toffee flavor and hints of toasted bread." Saw a recipe that uses it, seems like it could be a good fit, but maybe I should cut that or the brown and just do a pound of chocolate instead - that seems a bit more conventional.

ahh cool, that does sound like an interesting malt.

i think between the roasted barley, chocolate malt, and northern brewer you'll get a chocolate-y kind of taste going on.

could you maybe split the batch and put the cherry and/or coffee in one and not the other? hedges your bets a little bit in case the cherry is too much or something

and far be it from me to suggest that someone be a bit more conventional :D

In contrast with JC, I am a minimalist (full disclosure - I've tasted his beers and they're pretty dang good). It looks to me like there's about one too many flavors in that mix. It might work but I find generally when I add too much, the flavor becomes somethng I can best describe as "brown," kind of like mixing one too many colors on a pallette. For one, cherries and coffee doesn't strike me as such a good blend. Chocolate and cherry, maybe. It may turn out wonderful but don't be surprised if it turns out "brown."

Here's my 2 cents worth... Brew it. When you get into over 10% ABV its another type of blend to cover alcohol and bring out malt or yeast. you have rounded out several malts that work well together. Sometimes they come out as a mashed together beer sometimes not. If it looks good to you, brew it. You have 3# of others to mix in with the 2-row. Not out of reason for a RIS stout IMO. Would be a RIS with that much ABV.

Back