Pilsner /pale ale?

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Gday again fellow Brewers this bellow is my next recipe I've been building that's on the chopping block so to speak for my next brew. It's inspiresd from my Fat Yak recipe but I've pretty much flipped it upside down to what I've got in the grain bag.
I've got a bag of pils 5 kg ain't my base prob 4 kg I don't have any crystal type malt so using the special b to add colour and caramel sweetness and the Carahell too as well as some head. My mash will stay 66 maybe 67 as I want some body with this pils. I've got some Fuggles left over from recent tiny bottom pale ale but will go all cascade if need be? I just thought I'd add the cascade and Fuggles at the set additions but don't know if they pair well anyone? Was gunna also try first wort hop with this batch ? Necessary let me know and I could try a whirlpool 80c instead of 0 min ? What's your take on that too it's pretty much a hoppy Pilsner I'd say eh?

I would greatly value your advice Prost for last day of October!

I also have 2kg Vienna.
And carapil in grain storage.
I'll ferment it with wlp090 sandiego super yeast (ale)

5 kg Belgian - Pilsner 37 1.6 83.9%
0.1 kg German - CaraHell 34 11 2.4%
0.5 kg German - Munich Light 37 6 12%
0.07 kg Belgian - Special B 34 115 1.7%
4.17 kg Total
Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
10 g Magnum Pellet 15 Boil 60 min 21.14
10 g Cascade Pellet 10 Boil 20 min 8.54
10 g Fuggles Pellet 4.5 Boil 20 min 3.84
10 g Fuggles Pellet 4.5 Boil 0 min
10 g Cascade Pellet 10 Boil 0 min
Show Summary View

Mash Guidelines
Amount Description Type Temp Time
25 L Infusion 66 C 60 min
5 L Sparge 74 C 20 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 3 L/kg

5 kg Belgian - Pilsner 37 1.6 83.9%
0.1 kg German - CaraHell 34 11 2.4%
0.5 kg German - Munich Light 37 6 12%
0.07 kg Belgian - Special B 34 115 1.7%
4.17 kg Total
Hops
10 g Magnum Pellet 15 Boil 60 min 21.14
10 g Cascade Pellet 10 Boil 20 min 8.54
10 g Fuggles Pellet 4.5 Boil 20 min 3.84
Show Summary View

Mash Guidelines
5 L Sparge 74 C 20 min
Yeast

Call it what you like, i prefer a hoppy pils, like a czech style pils. Looks like a good recipe. Personally i'm not sure if i can really tell the difference between whirlpooling at a specific temp or just chucking in the hops at flameout.

Call it what you like, i prefer a hoppy pils, like a czech style pils. Looks like a good recipe. Personally i'm not sure if i can really tell the difference between whirlpooling at a specific temp or just chucking in the hops at flameout.
Cheers Oliver I never done this whirlpool before so I thought I'd put it out there and see people's thoughts on it. how about first wort hops ? What's ya take on this? I don't have any dry hops in this recipe ATM but will probably do 10-15g after primary has settled out.

Last edited:
something is wrong with both recipes, mental maths has that as a 5.67 kg grain bill ...it will be beer but it won't be a Pils .
Yea I totally get ya there Mark seeing as you have probably brewed the Fat Yak I pretty much went through that recipe and most likely changed everything. No nelson Sauvin I just used that schedule as my hops.

Yep dropping a kg off that pils malt bill I don't want it ending up too high. That's why title is pils / ale uncertain of style? This grain bill is what I've got to work with well that selection of grain anyhow. I pretty much just want a hoppy ale style beer out of the grain ive got to work with so far. My two most prominent ale type hops I've got in storage are cascade prob80g Fuggles 50g oh and I have some Pacific Gem about 40-50g (any takes on this)? I'm happy to mix and Match on reasonable suggestions. Also have nobles sazz and hellartau mittlefruh but want to leave them out. This brew ain't probably happening till fortnight from now on my beer stock calculations.

My grains I have. Are Dingermans Belgium Pilsner malt prob 20kg
2kg Vienna
500g special b
1.5kg Munich light Weyermann
Prob 600g carapils Briess
600g Carahell Weyermann.

That recipe is what I came up with.
I happy to even take suggestions and brew the discussed final version and post the results :p.
I really want to try the wlp090 on this though I want to tast it with the pils malt and also I've brewed a lot of lager strains of late plus day time temps are hitting 30s aready so I'm probably gunna hit some chilling issues if ya get my drift:).

Tweeker it a bit it matches a German pils according to Brewers friend specks. What do ya think ?
Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
3.5 kg Belgian - Pilsner 37 1.6 85.4%
0.1 kg American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) 33 1.8 2.4%
0.5 kg German - Munich Light 37 6 12.2%
4.1 kg Total
Hops
10 g Magnum Pellet 15 Boil 60 min 21.24
10 g Cascade Pellet 10 Boil 20 min 8.58
10 g Fuggles Pellet 4.5 Boil 20 min 3.86
Show Summary View

Mash Guidelines
5 L Sparge 74 C 20 min
Yeast
White Labs - San Diego Super Yeast WLP090
Attenuation (avg):
79.5%
Flocculation:
Med-High
Optimum Temp:
18.3 - 20 °C
Starter:
No
Fermentation Temp:
18 °C
Pitch Rate:
0.35 (M cells / ml / ° P)
81 B cells required
Yeast Pitch Rate and Starter Calculator

That looks better , should be a tasty summer beer .

Not brewed a fat yak in my life , not a beer I think too highly of
Ah true yep I'm a fan of it. Anyhow you done first wort hopping Mark? What's ya take on this not worth the hassle?
I might add a dry hop addition in there of cascade probably 15g depending on what I've got left of it? :p What do thing about mr Fuggles and cascade as a pairing?

This will probably end up as one of my Christmas brews I serve to my family one bro love xxxx summer anything more malty he sticks his tongue out on the other bro well he used to home brew so I'm guessing hell drink anything I serve up to him. So I recon I'm safe with anything pilsnerish I just gotta be on top of my game with the brewing and especially the sanitation and fermentation. I don't want no off flavours creaping into this one.:) Not that there has been. Just pressure is on with the this one:rolleyes:

Last edited:
in all honesty i've never first wort hopped , it is on the list for use with hops like galaxy that can get pretty harsh .
i may even be on sunny coast for the fat red suited home invaders visit so i'll taste it if you let me

in all honesty i've never first wort hopped , it is on the list for use with hops like galaxy that can get pretty harsh .
i may even be on sunny coast for the fat red suited home invaders visit so i'll taste it if you let me
Yea so you won't want the cup of milk and carrot ha ha! Santa might just not leave if he visits my place:p

I mash hop all the time but in reality if your not recirculating in the mash it will make no difference, first wort or mash hop needs to be a flavored hop not a bittering hop, doing it correctly will leave an underlaying hop flavor that doesn't fade like dry hopping, its not strong but mellow and even, hard to explain actually

I mash hop all the time but in reality if your not recirculating in the mash it will make no difference, first wort or mash hop needs to be a flavored hop not a bittering hop, doing it correctly will leave an underlaying hop flavor that doesn't fade like dry hopping, its not strong but mellow and even, hard to explain actually
So I'd need to use some of the cascade or Fuggles I'll go and adjust the hop schedule. I have been seeing it in a lot of recipes and on breukiser so thought there's gotta be something to this FWH. Cheers!

Well to all those who maY be wondering how this confusion of pils/pale went it's a great success! And it's been burst carbed for 24 hrs at full pressure then purged and poured at serving pressure 10-12 psi. So it's young less than two weeks old:rolleyes: yep Nawtee me lol it's been in keg for that time too. This is going to be a swiller of a beer I can tell already biitterness is tame not overly bitter maybe carbonation will make it a little more from carbonic acid. Aroma isn't what I wanted but it's there all10g of cascade. It's super clean thanks sandiego super yeast. It's well attenuated at 1008 but finishes a little sweet I think from carapils which I expected and which I like:). See the Barra on the cup? For you Americans that's an awesome top end fish of Australia with great tasting flesh and can grow over 1 meter long. Mark will know all about them;).
Well I'd offer you all a willing glass if I could but yea it's all mine haha. Now to be patient and let it ripen into all its beauty :p thanks for all your help on crafting this lovely brew much appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 214
I wouldn't do a whirlpool addition in a pilsner because it makes it harder to clear IMO. I believe you should be able to read news print through a pilsner in a pilsner glass. A pale ale it's less critical.

I wouldn't do a whirlpool addition in a pilsner because it makes it harder to clear IMO. I believe you should be able to read news print through a pilsner in a pilsner glass. A pale ale it's less critical.
Hay now it's first pour from keg brew cat just to get a taste and its 10 days old from grain to glass so I'm thinking she'll clear some more yet but it's more of an ale than pils that's what I wanted

Nothing a little gelatin won't handle.

She's getting clearer buy the day brew cat if I can leave it alone it is sure to be a winner come Christmas time hopefully it will be sparkling by then. I always have trouble with my Pilsner base clearing personally I think 2row or pale ale malt clears quicker. But I am milling pretty fine so maybe more particulate to fall from suspension. But yea I've got faith in her she'll brighten up;)

are you using any sort of finings in the FV ?
so far i'm just using whirlfloc in the boil
have tried gelatin in the FV with a CC but made the trub too fluffy , hearing very good things about polyclar so will be giving it a go next brew
some will refuse to use plastic in beer but there's frankly all sorts of strange things used for beer already
seaweed , fish guts , egg whites , blood ect off top of my head have all been / are used

Back