I brewed today!

Just so I don't get you off track you won't get licorice from the Rye;).
I try some weird things sometimes in my brewing always wanted to brew an aniseed/licorice flavoured stout or porter I tried one years ago at a craft beer thing and thought it worked not had a crack at it yet though.
You know of Sasparilla something along the lines of that would go good I rekon...

Well the extraction is quicker with ground but with whole beans it's slower so you can use them like a dry hop and steep them day one or three untill you taste the flavour is right.

I've only used extracted coffee in my brewing not whole beans.
Have a listen to this brulosophy podcast on the subject of Coffee and brewing if you want to know more
https://open.spotify.com/episode/0d...1yQPSGRovdaHvuog&utm_source=native-share-menu
No, I was referring to the aniseed when I mentioned licorice. The Rye sounds good tho. I'm a huge fan of rye bread with aniseed, but just not sure I want the aniseed in my beer. Go figger. I'm your typical kraut, I love a lotta different kinds of bread. My maternal grandmother could bake some of the most mouthwatering goodies EVER.

Logic tells me that we grind up the grist for better utilization/efficiency, so it only makes sense to grind up the coffee beans too, for that matter, anything as hard as a coffee bean or anything that's dried/desiccated. One would think it would take a lot less ground coffee than it does whole beans. I'll definitely bookmark and give the podcast a listen, though.

No, I was referring to the aniseed when I mentioned licorice. The Rye sounds good tho. I'm a huge fan of rye bread with aniseed, but just not sure I want the aniseed in my beer. Go figger. I'm your typical kraut, I love a lotta different kinds of bread. My maternal grandmother could bake some of the most mouthwatering goodies EVER.

Logic tells me that we grind up the grist for better utilization/efficiency, so it only makes sense to grind up the coffee beans too, for that matter, anything as hard as a coffee bean or anything that's dried/desiccated. One would think it would take a lot less ground coffee than it does whole beans. I'll definitely bookmark and give the podcast a listen, though.
It's sounds like that Coffee beer you do is gunna get some experimentation. :)

Yeah I'm no guide really for how long and when on the coffee / beer side of thing.
This is the only coffee beer I do not my own but tweeked if ya get my drift;)
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/509259/choccoffee-stout
It's bloody Moorish to the point it got me in alot of trouble the first time I brewed it:rolleyes:!

Yeah maybe I should tweek that next brew and sub in some rye malt for its supposed extra body and some aniseed or star anise for a cheeky twist or maybe not....

Oh man I really gotta get my side by sides going lol!

Old mates brew site
https://www.bertusbrewery.com/

Yup I agree I'd use it in substitution anyday. Maybe it's more like what i call green ginger. That's the new root section the old ginger root goes brown and gets stronger in flavour more gingery.
I suppose I would call it a bit more peppery than ginger. Maybe even a little medicinal.

@Herm brews , it's used quite a lot in Indonesian and Thai cooking. Checki it out :p

I suppose I would call it a bit more peppery than ginger. Maybe even a little medicinal.

@Herm brews , it's used quite a lot in Indonesian and Thai cooking. Checki it out :p
Well Zambezi maybe worth a spin in a beer :)?
I think your saison strain will compliment the peppery taste you get.
I've personally found the boiled ginger adds more bite to the beer or that's what ive come to expect i treat it like hops keeping the late addition in the WP to keep that ginger aroma and flavor.

It's sounds like that Coffee beer you do is gunna get some experimentation. :)

Yeah I'm no guide really for how long and when on the coffee / beer side of thing.
This is the only coffee beer I do not my own but tweeked if ya get my drift;)
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/509259/choccoffee-stout
It's bloody Moorish to the point it got me in alot of trouble the first time I brewed it:rolleyes:!

Yeah maybe I should tweek that next brew and sub in some rye malt for its supposed extra body and some aniseed or star anise for a cheeky twist or maybe not....

Oh man I really gotta get my side by sides going lol!

Old mates brew site
https://www.bertusbrewery.com/
Gonna bookmark that.

Exactly: whole beans need time to emit their goodness, ground coffee takes just minutes. Ditto grain, spices, hops, whatever.

As a single data point, I have a coffee coconut chocolate porter that uses 2-3 ounces ground coffee in 5 gallons, and it can be tasted/smelled but is not overpowering.

Exactly: whole beans need time to emit their goodness, ground coffee takes just minutes. Ditto grain, spices, hops, whatever.

As a single data point, I have a coffee coconut chocolate porter that uses 2-3 ounces ground coffee in 5 gallons, and it can be tasted/smelled but is not overpowering.
Well now I don’t feel quite as much a noob as I used to. Got something right.
There was a restaurant called Albert’s in Columbia, TN back in the 90’s that served the best coffee I’ve ever had. I tried to get them to tell me what brand/roast and what was their secret recipe, but no way. I normally put at least a teaspoon of sugar in my coffee, but that stuff was so good I hated to ruin it. They have long since closed, so looks like I’ll never find out what it was or how the brewed it. Their coffee with a slice of Jack Daniels pecan pie was heavenly.

I think I'll be able to turn the Cali Common kit into a pretty decent IPA. It's mostly 2 row, 1 lb Munich, and 12 oz of Caramel 40. I think I'll do 100% Cascade hops. I have British ale yeast, but I think it would taste better with Chico.

Oops wrong thread :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Pitched yeast for my Munich Lagerbier based on a traditional all Munich 35 ibu lager. Efficiency was lower than expected due to the malt and my final volume of wort. When I adjusted the numbers for that I’m close enough. Should be a nice 4.7% malty pint

Mash In

IPA w. Cascade, Chinook and Citra

A9678C77-884B-42C5-AFFF-465E68A7D725.jpeg

Back