I brewed today!

Just pitched yeast on the brown ale and finished cleaning up. Got a hair up my toockus and got some apple juice at Costco for some simple cider. Will do that up in a minute.
Pro tip (and something I just thought of) carry the empty car boy downstairs before dumping 6 gallons of juice in it

I pitched the yeast into my altbier at 64 and took it out of the fridge at 59. Now it's reaching high krausen with a spunding valve set to 5psi. Usually this yeast takes a day to kick in but I put about 1/2 a liter of slurry in this one :) hope the pressure keeps the krausen suppressed!

Before
20221029_110842.jpg

Boiling down the syrup for Jmcnamara 's brown starter wort is sanitizing as well

After I think this toom 2 hrs
20221029_122240.jpg

Going into the kegmenter
20221029_122502.jpg

Man this tasted like Liquid Malt Extract sorta caramel bitter taste this about where you boil down to @jmcnamara ?
I ll take a Gravity reading tomorrow before pitching the yeast Windsor RWS 1Lt
20221029_123243(0).jpg

pre boil was 1.044 I added more liquid to acount for boil down syrup...

Last edited:
BeforeView attachment 22833
Boiling down the syrup for Jmcnamara 's brown starter wort is sanitizing as well

After I think this toom 2 hrs View attachment 22834
Going into the kegmenter
View attachment 22835
Man this tasted like Liquid Malt Extract sorta caramel bitter taste this about where you boil down to @jmcnamara ?
I ll take a Gravity reading tomorrow before pitching the yeast Windsor RWS 1Lt View attachment 22836

pre boil was 1.044 I added more liquid to amount for boil down syrup...
That's a little more boiling than I did for this batch. But I think it'll be all right. When I did it that much for a porter there wasn't any overly burnt or bitter taste to beer at least

That's a little more boiling than I did for this batch. But I think it'll be all right. When I did it that much for a porter there wasn't any overly burnt or bitter taste to beer at least
Yeah the syrup tasted good not burnt like a bitter caramel taste sorta thing.

Good to know man;)

Last edited:
This time I was low on Munich so I had to use 25% Pilsner. Otherwise the same

This time I was low on Munich so I had to use 25% Pilsner. Otherwise the same
Ok. Trying to make up my mind what to brew next, and thinking about my first attempt at a Dunkel. How long do you normally let it lager before serving?

Ok. Trying to make up my mind what to brew next, and thinking about my first attempt at a Dunkel. How long do you normally let it lager before serving?

you can brew a lager with 34/70 at ale temps, I do it but 30 days from grain to glass is normal for clear beers

Brewing 8th run on my ginger Ninger.
I love this stiff and love brewing it.
20221105_074528.jpg

Incorporate gardening and brewing
20221105_075152.jpg

Short mash short boil no chill i can slap this out in 2 hours easy
20221105_081239.jpg

Boil on right No Chill steep on left :)
Throwing in a little fuggles on the steep hoping for maybe something earthy ;)

Brewing 8th run on my ginger Ninger.
I love this stiff and love brewing it.
View attachment 22924
Incorporate gardening and brewing View attachment 22925
Short mash short boil no chill i can slap this out in 2 hours easyView attachment 22926
Boil on right No Chill steep on left :)
Throwing in a little fuggles on the steep hoping for maybe something earthy ;)
Oh I forgot to add little Matilda was checking in on the boil with me today and yup she thought it needed a rusty bulldog clip lol:p.

So it's chilling with a rusty bulldog clip at the bottom.

Oh I forgot to add little Matilda was checking in on the boil with me today and yup she thought it needed a rusty bulldog clip lol:p.

So it's chilling with a rusty bulldog clip at the bottom.
I need to find time to make this beer. Am I wrong in thinking this is a great summer/warm weather beer? We are heading into winter now and I have a few beers lined up through Jan/Feb, but after that?? I’ll be knocking on your door for pointers.

I need to find time to make this beer. Am I wrong in thinking this is a great summer/warm weather beer? We are heading into winter now and I have a few beers lined up through Jan/Feb, but after that?? I’ll be knocking on your door for pointers.
Yeah it drinks good all year round I find:).
The ibus are low but the ginger provides some bite that makes up for it.
I actually push the malt envelope on it with 6g chloride and just 2 of sulphate.
I've not tried it without the lemon Myrtle but I think the ginger is the main player so it wouldn't matter if they were there or not.
They just provide an interesting lemon flavour on the nose and in the aftertaste I think they play well with ginger as with anything lemon.

I was gunna put a Christmas twist on this batch and up the abv but I just ran with my tried n tested version
If it kicked before the 25th I'll throw some cinnamon and maybe some star anise I've always wanted to brew with them in a beer especially I think a porter or licorice root hmmm.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/828285/ginger-ninger

Oh I also think an English yeast strain or Chico strain would ferment it fine without that Belgian Saison yeast BUT if you want that special earth think almost mustardy thing go this lower attenuating saison strain.
It can stall I've herd but I've not had any issues just bumping temp up at end of fermentation to keep it happy.
Been brewing with this strain easy over a year I'm sure this is Gen 10 or something with the same yeast ! Very versatile

Well if you do wanna get some Ninger on be sure to let me know:D

Back