I brewed today!

Houston...we have Krausen! What a great sight to wake up to with an extra hour of sleep!
20221106_083325.jpg

Brewing 8th run on my ginger Ninger.
I love this stiff and love brewing it.
View attachment 22924
Incorporate gardening and brewing View attachment 22925
Short mash short boil no chill i can slap this out in 2 hours easyView attachment 22926
Boil on right No Chill steep on left :)
Throwing in a little fuggles on the steep hoping for maybe something earthy ;)
So lemon myrtle leaves are not a typical grocery item, particularly in the US. Do you think some lemon (peel or zest I guess) would do the trick? I am guessing you want a bit of a lemon odor or flavor, right?

So lemon myrtle leaves are not a typical grocery item, particularly in the US. Do you think some lemon (peel or zest I guess) would do the trick? I am guessing you want a bit of a lemon odor or flavor, right?
Lemon zest works well to enhance any citrus flavor/aroma. Made the orange peel really pop in a batch of Rapier Wit. The missus was doing something else with fresh lemon juice, so I took the zest before she crushed them.

Yeah sorta it's unique.
Hmmm let me think it make you think lemon but it's also got a herbal almost sweetness to it maybe it's that eucalyptus thing maybe it can taste sometimes slightly medicinal as wello_O.
I rekon lemon grass would be closer lets put it that way.
I've tried kafir lime leaves 2 in one in place of the myrtle leaves and they didn't do the job.

But after all that waffling yup @RoadRoach is on the money nothing wrong with lemon zest I'd use the juice as well it'll provide some Ascorbic Acid which will help with oxidation.

My original ginger beers back a few years ago were cinnamon stick and one or two lemons along with the ginger.

Think ginger lemon honey tea you know the ones you sip on when your crook.

Some Aussies won't like the lemon Myrtle because we have dishwashing liquid sented with it here so it can remind you of dishwashing residue but well that's an individual preference thing...

Yeah sorta it's unique.
Hmmm let me think it make you think lemon but it's also got a herbal almost sweetness to it maybe it's that eucalyptus thing maybe it can taste sometimes slightly medicinal as wello_O.
I rekon lemon grass would be closer lets put it that way.
I've tried kafir lime leaves 2 in one in place of the myrtle leaves and they didn't do the job.

But after all that waffling yup @RoadRoach is on the money nothing wrong with lemon zest I'd use the juice as well it'll provide some Ascorbic Acid which will help with oxidation.

My original ginger beers back a few years ago were cinnamon stick and one or two lemons along with the ginger.

Think ginger lemon honey tea you know the ones you sip on when your crook.

Some Aussies won't like the lemon Myrtle because we have dishwashing liquid sented with it here so it can remind you of dishwashing residue but well that's an individual preference thing...
Ah, lemon grass I can do. Or maybe some dishwashing liquid? :rolleyes:

Ah, lemon grass I can do. Or maybe some dishwashing liquid? :rolleyes:
Well yes a bit of lemon scented dish soap :eek::D!
Maybe I shouldn't of mentioned that now you mind will be thinking it if you make it.

Now talking about lemongrass and ginger have a look at this one I brewed a few years ago.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/425369/lemongrass-wheat

This beer was good but it lacked some malt presence it was a little bland I remember from memory. Maybe that step mash schedule was to blame but as you can see I've been playing with ginger and such in my brewing for awhile.
This might give you a starting point on how much lemongrass to use.
I use one myrtle Leaf / liter now maybe a stick of lemongrass per gallon might work (gallon being a bigger volume).

The Ninger is a culmination of my foray in creating a ginger beer I feel reminiscent of Bundaberg ginger beer so not a dry ginger ale but more sweet malt forward with a good firm ginger bite.

Well yes a bit of lemon scented dish soap :eek::D!
Maybe I shouldn't of mentioned that now you mind will be thinking it if you make it.

Now talking about lemongrass and ginger have a look at this one I brewed a few years ago.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/425369/lemongrass-wheat

This beer was good but it lacked some malt presence it was a little bland I remember from memory. Maybe that step mash schedule was to blame but as you can see I've been playing with ginger and such in my brewing for awhile.
This might give you a starting point on how much lemongrass to use.
I use one myrtle Leaf / liter now maybe a stick of lemongrass per gallon might work (gallon being a bigger volume).

The Ninger is a culmination of my foray in creating a ginger beer I feel reminiscent of Bundaberg ginger beer so not a dry ginger ale but more sweet malt forward with a good firm ginger bite.
Now you got me wondering how well it would work to substitute some ginger in place of coriander. I know it's a completely different taste, but they both lend that little spicy kick to the malt, or I would think they do. The coriander with some hops gets a bit too bitter, but a different bitter from bittering hops. Not real sure how to describe it, really. Fortunately, it goes away very quickly.

Maybe we need to do another exbeeriment with different spices like @Sunfire96 did with the malts.

Now you got me wondering how well it would work to substitute some ginger in place of coriander. I know it's a completely different taste, but they both lend that little spicy kick to the malt, or I would think they do. The coriander with some hops gets a bit too bitter, but a different bitter from bittering hops. Not real sure how to describe it, really. Fortunately, it goes away very quickly.

Maybe we need to do another exbeeriment with different spices like @Sunfire96 did with the malts.
Maybe even throw some rye malt in.
Hey I have no idea what it would bring.
You talking coriander seeds aye?
You tried fennel seeds now that stuff Aniseedy as heck.

How about Lemonbalm?

Yes, it's a true herb, square stem and all. It looks like mint and has a strong lemon scent and taste.
No ginger beer yet...

Has anyone ever brewed with galangal?
Got loads of it, wish my ginger would grow as well!

Maybe even throw some rye malt in.
Hey I have no idea what it would bring.
You talking coriander seeds aye?
You tried fennel seeds now that stuff Aniseedy as heck.
Yeah, I crush the coriander with a rolling pin, and drop 'em in with flavoring/aroma hops in the last 10 minutes of boil. The rye sounds good, but not sure I want a licorice flavored beer. For any adjunct of that type, I would think that crushed/ground would be better because it would certainly give better utilization. For instance, wouldn't ground coffee be better than whole coffee beans? Is my thinking flawed?

Yeah, I crush the coriander with a rolling pin, and drop 'em in with flavoring/aroma hops in the last 10 minutes of boil. The rye sounds good, but not sure I want a licorice flavored beer. For any adjunct of that type, I would think that crushed/ground would be better because it would certainly give better utilization. For instance, wouldn't ground coffee be better than whole coffee beans? Is my thinking flawed?
Just so I don't get you off track you won't get licorice from the Rye;).
I try some weird things sometimes in my brewing always wanted to brew an aniseed/licorice flavoured stout or porter I tried one years ago at a craft beer thing and thought it worked not had a crack at it yet though.
You know of Sasparilla something along the lines of that would go good I rekon...

Well the extraction is quicker with ground but with whole beans it's slower so you can use them like a dry hop and steep them day one or three untill you taste the flavour is right.

I've only used extracted coffee in my brewing not whole beans.
Have a listen to this brulosophy podcast on the subject of Coffee and brewing if you want to know more
https://open.spotify.com/episode/0d...1yQPSGRovdaHvuog&utm_source=native-share-menu

When I brewed my rye pale ale I used 30% pale rye malt and didn't get any pepper, spice, or herbiness from it. Rye malt does not equal rye bread flavor

I also used lemon balm a couple years ago...it didn't impart the lemon I was looking for. I used it flameout with lemon and lime zest.

But it's always good to see brewers trying out new stuff and experimenting, so y'all should try it anyway!

Last edited:
When I brewed my rye pale ale I used 30% pale rye malt and didn't get any pepper, spice, or herbiness from it. Rye malt does not equal rye bread flavor

I also used lemon balm a couple years ago...it didn't not impart the lemon I was looking for. I used it flameout with lemon and lime zest.

But it's always good to see brewers trying out new stuff and experimenting, so y'all should try it anyway!

This is definitely a problematic beer brewing mystery to me. I wonder if this purported Rye-ness varies from one maltster to another. Or maybe it's very beer-recipe dependent. Like you, I have never noticed any particular flavor from the Rye malt I have used (up to 22% in a Rye IPA), though I've heard many brewers (even some I trust :p) claim it does add some pepper/spice/clove. Hmm..

Just this past weekend, we made a salmon dish that calls for ginger, but we used galangal instead. This is the first time we have ever been exposed to the use of this root. As I sliced from the root, I was immediately impressed with the floral and fruity aroma, and told my wife that it would make a fine addition to beer, like a pale ale maybe?

Yup I agree I'd use it in substitution anyday. Maybe it's more like what i call green ginger. That's the new root section the old ginger root goes brown and gets stronger in flavour more gingery.

Back