I brewed today!

Imperial Stout.

Mash, below. Used DME in the boil. It’s been a very long time since I’ve used DME and while I have no issues with quality, it can be a bit of a pain in the arse to use. Sure does like to clump.

View attachment 23706

OG = 1.114, a few points above predicted, volume was spot on. This, after a 105 minute boil. :eek: Took a taste and it is incredible how thick the mouthfeel is. It’s all up to the yeast now. Opted for WY1728.

View attachment 23707
I learned a pretty good trick to using DME. Dissolve it in cold water first. Less clumping because there's no warm water vapor to get sucked into the container and make the DME lump. Just have to tweak your water requirements on the fly if you do it that way. The good news is that the DME is sterile, so don't need to boil nearly as long either. I have one recipe that's nothing but DME and Candi Sugar for fermentables. Very quick and easy brew.

Imperial Stout.

Mash, below. Used DME in the boil. It’s been a very long time since I’ve used DME and while I have no issues with quality, it can be a bit of a pain in the arse to use. Sure does like to clump.

View attachment 23706

OG = 1.114, a few points above predicted, volume was spot on. This, after a 105 minute boil. :eek: Took a taste and it is incredible how thick the mouthfeel is. It’s all up to the yeast now. Opted for WY1728.

View attachment 23707

Holy crap! Looks like that hydrometer wants to jump out of the cylinder. ;)

I learned a pretty good trick to using DME. Dissolve it in cold water first. Less clumping because there's no warm water vapor to get sucked into the container and make the DME lump. Just have to tweak your water requirements on the fly if you do it that way. The good news is that the DME is sterile, so don't need to boil nearly as long either. I have one recipe that's nothing but DME and Candi Sugar for fermentables. Very quick and easy brew.
Now you tell me. :)
I kept pulling a bit of boiling wort out of the kettle, adding to a smaller pot, mixing in a little of the DME, then pouring the mix back into the kettle. Again and again. It worked, but it was time consuming and it left me convinced there had to be a better way. Next NYE, I’ll definitely try your cold water method!

Now you tell me. :)
I kept pulling a bit of boiling wort out of the kettle, adding to a smaller pot, mixing in a little of the DME, then pouring the mix back into the kettle. Again and again. It worked, but it was time consuming and it left me convinced there had to be a better way. Next NYE, I’ll definitely try your cold water method!
You'll still have to do a bit of stirring, because it doesn't dissolve as quickly in cold water, but as I said, no big clumps that won't dissolve at all. Perhaps use a trick @Sunfire96 told me about and use a paint stirrer in a drill to mix it cold. Sure would aerate it good too and make the yeast very happy. On the recipe I referenced, if it weren't for the Candi Sugar (huge chunks like rock candy) I might even try to do that one with a no-boil, and just dry hop with the hops and coriander. I boil just long enough to dissolve the candi sugar and for the bittering/flavor (Warrior hops, coriander, and orange peel) and then pour that into the cold dissolved DME. About an hour to brew, start to finish, and 4 days later it's ready to bottle, and another 4 days, it seems to be carbed up enough to drink, but it definitely gets better with age. I don't think I'm gonna get it turned into beer much faster than that. I had a slightly high FG on one batch that distracted me enough I forgot the priming sugar when bottling. Pretty sure I rushed the fermentation because it was a little cooler at the time. The high FG let it still carb up quite nicely, just not as fast.

I'm brewing a small batch of chocolate stout, well kind of.
Playing with the grain bill - 20% Crystal 120 15% chocolate malt
IMG_20230101_142739.jpg
IMG_20230101_154927.jpg

did this one once before, turned out really good.

users%2FDXyL8ddHECPWVepsiiAP9GAlmZf2%2Fimages%2Frecipes%2FMeahbnAjLPDxLlcUCKx4xDPPStc9IP%2Fimg%40640-MeahbnAjLPDxLlcUCKx4xDPPStc9IP.jpeg

ESB (clone)
Extra Special Bitter

5.1% / 13.3 °P

Based on the Original Redhook Brewery ESB from Seattle.

Recipe by

Bent Nail

All Grain

BIAB (Fly sparge)
75% efficiency

Batch Volume: 5.5 gal

Boil Time: 60 min

Mash Water: 7.57 gal

HLT water: 1.6 gal

Total Water: 9.17 gal

Boil Volume: 6.87 gal

Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.046

Vitals
Original Gravity: 1.054

Final Gravity: 1.015

IBU (Tinseth): 40

BU/GU: 0.74

Color: 13.5 SRM

Mash
Strike Temp — 125.6 °F

Protien Rest — 122 °F15 min

Sach Rest — 149 °F60 min

Mash out — 172 °F15 min

Malts (10 lb 14.9 oz)
7 lb (64%) — Pale Malt — Grain — 2 °L

2 lb 3 oz (20%) — Toasted Malt — Grain — 27 °L

10.5 oz (6%) — Weyermann Carared — Grain — 18.3 °L

10.5 oz (6%) — Great Western Crystal 2-Row — Grain — 55.9 °L

7 oz (4%) — Cara-Pils/Dextrine — Grain — 2 °L

Hops (3.25 oz)
1 oz (19 IBU) — Willamette 5.5% — Boil — 60 min

1.25 oz (15 IBU) — Tettnang 4.5% — Boil — 30 min

0.5 oz (6 IBU) — Willamette 5.5% — Boil — 20 min

0.5 oz (2 IBU) — Tettnang 4.5% — Boil — 5 min

Miscs
4.4 g — Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) — Mash

6.6 g — Epsom Salt (MgSO4) — Mash

2.2 g — Gypsum (CaSO4) — Mash

2.2 g — Slaked Lime (Ca(OH)2) — Mash

1.1 items — Whirlfloc — Boil10 min

Yeast
1.1 pkg — Wyeast Labs 1968 London ESB Ale 71%

Fermentation
Primary — 68 °F14 days

Primary — 44 °F3 days

Carbonation: 2.4 CO2-vol

did this one once before, turned out really good.

users%2FDXyL8ddHECPWVepsiiAP9GAlmZf2%2Fimages%2Frecipes%2FMeahbnAjLPDxLlcUCKx4xDPPStc9IP%2Fimg%40640-MeahbnAjLPDxLlcUCKx4xDPPStc9IP.jpeg

ESB (clone)
Extra Special Bitter

5.1% / 13.3 °P

Based on the Original Redhook Brewery ESB from Seattle.

Recipe by

Bent Nail

All Grain

BIAB (Fly sparge)
75% efficiency

Batch Volume: 5.5 gal

Boil Time: 60 min

Mash Water: 7.57 gal

HLT water: 1.6 gal

Total Water: 9.17 gal

Boil Volume: 6.87 gal

Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.046

Vitals
Original Gravity: 1.054

Final Gravity: 1.015

IBU (Tinseth): 40

BU/GU: 0.74

Color: 13.5 SRM

Mash
Strike Temp — 125.6 °F

Protien Rest — 122 °F15 min

Sach Rest — 149 °F60 min

Mash out — 172 °F15 min

Malts (10 lb 14.9 oz)
7 lb (64%) — Pale Malt — Grain — 2 °L

2 lb 3 oz (20%) — Toasted Malt — Grain — 27 °L

10.5 oz (6%) — Weyermann Carared — Grain — 18.3 °L

10.5 oz (6%) — Great Western Crystal 2-Row — Grain — 55.9 °L

7 oz (4%) — Cara-Pils/Dextrine — Grain — 2 °L

Hops (3.25 oz)
1 oz (19 IBU) — Willamette 5.5% — Boil — 60 min

1.25 oz (15 IBU) — Tettnang 4.5% — Boil — 30 min

0.5 oz (6 IBU) — Willamette 5.5% — Boil — 20 min

0.5 oz (2 IBU) — Tettnang 4.5% — Boil — 5 min

Miscs
4.4 g — Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) — Mash

6.6 g — Epsom Salt (MgSO4) — Mash

2.2 g — Gypsum (CaSO4) — Mash

2.2 g — Slaked Lime (Ca(OH)2) — Mash

1.1 items — Whirlfloc — Boil10 min

Yeast
1.1 pkg — Wyeast Labs 1968 London ESB Ale 71%

Fermentation
Primary — 68 °F14 days

Primary — 44 °F3 days

Carbonation: 2.4 CO2-vol
1.1 packages of yeast?

I’ll be brewing a Helles tomorrow. I’ll leave out the melanoidan and do 2 decorations. Little nervous since he last Helles was the best Helles I’ve made but….this is a journey. I’ve got to do it

I’ll be brewing a Helles tomorrow. I’ll leave out the melanoidan and do 2 decorations. Little nervous since he last Helles was the best Helles I’ve made but….this is a journey. I’ve got to do it
Decorations? I'm sure spell checker thought it was smarter than you and you meant decoctions.

Back