I brewed today!

After the mash, straight to the oven.
That is what I do with some of the grains after mash. I also have a quart size zip lock full of spent grains in the freezer. My latest banana bread has a quarter of the flour from spent grain.

Yaki Dah boys n Girls !
20221125_161809.jpg

Brewing bare feet as well :D
Cooling now, then pitching on existing Voss slurry.
Curious to find out what this will taste like. It got lemon peel, coriander and torn makrut leaves. And Saaz
View attachment 23215
Oh I'm googling them leaves I've never herd of them ha!

You gotta get connected ;) feet and all ...

Oh I'm googling them leaves I've never herd of them ha!
I'm sure you know them as kaffir lime leaves.
On another forum I was told not to call them that, so I'm trying politically correctnesd for once in my life ;)
Makrut is the Thai name, jeruk purut the Indonesian one (which is what they are called in Dutch as well)

Uff! Long brew day yesterday with a lot of firsts. My first high gravity brew, first low carbon - high nutrient starter, first partigyle, first adjunct of plain old table sugar and first time with Wyeast and Scottish Ale yeast.

I hit my numbers for the Albany Ale OG but under shot the target volume I thought I calculated and The 2nd batch was lower volume and higher OG for the brown I had planned but hey, a few pints for a few extra bucks....no problem!

The partigyle dance needs some rethinking with my set up...got to have more water in the hlt. My immersion coil method has been working but I'm losing time with having 2 boils back to back which is extending the second mash...add a mash tun evacuation to that and you just don't have enough hands let alone time to do things as you "thought" would have worked! I guess it's time to use that second burner and break out"old blue" the square cooler for my chill pond!

I finished up around midnight after having started at 10....now to swap out some spent mash for some fresh eggs!

Uff! Long brew day yesterday with a lot of firsts. My first high gravity brew, first low carbon - high nutrient starter, first partigyle, first adjunct of plain old table sugar and first time with Wyeast and Scottish Ale yeast.

I hit my numbers for the Albany Ale OG but under shot the target volume I thought I calculated and The 2nd batch was lower volume and higher OG for the brown I had planned but hey, a few pints for a few extra bucks....no problem!

The partigyle dance needs some rethinking with my set up...got to have more water in the hlt. My immersion coil method has been working but I'm losing time with having 2 boils back to back which is extending the second mash...add a mash tun evacuation to that and you just don't have enough hands let alone time to do things as you "thought" would have worked! I guess it's time to use that second burner and break out"old blue" the square cooler for my chill pond!

I finished up around midnight after having started at 10....now to swap out some spent mash for some fresh eggs!
Long day indeed! Tip of the cap to you. Good luck with these brews.

Would love to hear your thoughts on WY1728 when some information starts rolling in. I’ll be using this yeast for an Imperial Stout right after the holidays.

Would love to hear your thoughts on WY1728 when some information starts rolling in. I’ll be using this yeast for an Imperial Stout right after the holidays.

Thanks buddy! The good news is that things were gurgling away this morning when I checked in and as of about an hour ago, I had a healthy krausen going on the Albany and my "P.G. Brown" The rest of the plan is to use the yeast from this Albany on another Albany with a 17# grain so big to bigger...if things do well.

Stout, again. I will keg this with a bit of homemade vanilla extract. Numbers hit the bullseye.

This will get tapped on New Years Day. :)

Mash:

9528A62C-EB40-4E3F-8AC3-EFB252419656.jpeg

OG - 1.064. Pitched BRY-97 at 64F, which, I believe, is something far less in C. :D

F7452C8C-75FB-40E0-B4E1-DBC1B0980A98.jpeg

Solstice pale ale is bubbling away... Some neighbors want to have a gathering for the solstice, a few fire pits, s'mores, hot cocoa, and Vienna pale ale. Why that brew? Because it's what I had in stock :). First brew since breaking my leg, so I needed a lot of breaks.

2022-12-10 11.03.11.jpg

Last edited:
Solstice pale ale is bubbling away... Some neighbors want to have a gathering for the solstice, a few fire pits, s'mores, hot cocoa, and Vienna pale ale. Why that brew? Because it's what I had in stock :). First brew since breaking my leg, so I needed a lot of breaks.

View attachment 23411
Glad your back at it FrostyBeach a delicious beer to get you back underway!

I just finished brewing my Golden Strong(ish).
I cooled it down as much as I can. The night is going to have to do the rest...
All that remains is checking OG and pouring it on old trub tomorrow morning

No beers today so I could get to work on a porter , Got it in he fermenter at 10pm. Worn out.
Biab was frustrating to set up in BF. The water calculator wouldn’t load with the correct water volume
* blow off was busy already this morning. A09 pub yeast is good stuff

5F3AE370-A98F-4D44-9CA7-9D6F7BCB37B5.jpeg

Last edited:
254E371F-0F73-4C5B-9E42-C028EB30A7ED.jpeg Brewed another Dunkel, it’s one of my most consistent beers. Cut some of the Munich II with Pilsner since I made 5 gallons and only bought grain for my usual half batches. Instead of another Helles and a dunkel I went with double batch of Dunkel. I did 2 decoctions and a smidge of melanoidan. Used Hallertau At First Wort. Hit my volume and gravity numbers so I’m happy.

C300012B-57D9-4B61-A878-FE2FECDDEBD8.png

Imperial Stout.

Mash, below. Used DME in the boil. It’s been a very long time since I’ve used DME and while I have no issues with quality, it can be a bit of a pain in the arse to use. Sure does like to clump.

B1A846EC-4F89-411D-B48C-B5B89FD07F4A.jpeg

OG = 1.114, a few points above predicted, volume was spot on. This, after a 105 minute boil. :eek: Took a taste and it is incredible how thick the mouthfeel is. It’s all up to the yeast now. Opted for WY1728.

8BE37709-4C1D-464F-8A8E-6D32C0960EBF.jpeg

Imperial Stout.

Mash, below. Used DME in the boil. It’s been a very long time since I’ve used DME and while I have no issues with quality, it can be a bit of a pain in the arse to use. Sure does like to clump.

View attachment 23706

OG = 1.114, a few points above predicted, volume was spot on. This, after a 105 minute boil. :eek: Took a taste and it is incredible how thick the mouthfeel is. It’s all up to the yeast now. Opted for WY1728.

View attachment 23707
Wow yup I've not had a hydrometer stand this tall!

Back