Split batch ale - Voss and Chico

Jazzy_J

Trial Member
Reaction score
So in one of my ingredient shops I bought a dry packet of voss out of impulse. It has sat in my fridge for a few months as I haven't been that stoked to use it. I also recently made the switch to BIAB, and have some left over extract. I will probably save some to top up OG as needed, but I figured it would be fun to make a 10 gal batch and split it between two fermenters. Voss will be in my garage in FL, probably gets about 70-90 degreees F in there these days. Chico will be in my wine chiller at 65-68ish. I'll try to bang it out this weekend, but if anyone is interested I will be happy to post results with pictures and whatnot. I know kveik and comparisons have been beaten to death recently, so if there isn't tons of interest I will understand.

My plan is to make a mixed batch of BIAB and left over extract. Brew my BIAB as normal (with double the hops), then add enough extract to keep the OG the same, but double the volume. I'm still working out the recipe, but it will be more or less:

0.50 lb Munich
8.75 lb Pale 2-Row
0.50 lb Briess - Carapils Malt
5 lb Dry Malt Extract - Light - (late addition)

0.5 - 1 oz Mosaic Pellet 12 Boil 60 min
1 oz Citra Pellet 12.3 Boil 15 min
1 oz Citra Pellet 12.3 Boil 5 min

The munich and carapils additions are already mixed in with the 2 row, it came as a kit. Won't be doing any dry hopping or anything, just plain old ale.

Let me know what you guys think and if you are interested.

Always interested in new data.

For sure, share away!

Yes, interested as well

It's always interesting. I'll go out on a limb and predict that the Voss will be brighter, spritzier and Chico (US05 I assume) will be maltier and more mellow as far as the finish.

Following.

And that’s a great idea keeping the recipe simple in order to let the differences in yeast stand out as much as possible.

Good luck.

I don't think there have been that many split-batch experiments with kviek. So, I think that is a great idea!

Anyone have a way to set up split batches in Brewer's Friend? I'm brewing 8 gallons of a NEIPA, then splitting the batch post-whirlpool, using the same yeast strain, then different dry hopping. 1st one will be Hallertau Blanc/Galaxy, the 2nd will be Vic Secret/Galaxy. Definitely interested in seeing how these combinations are once finished. I have the recipe set up through whirlpool, just wanted to see if there's a way to have a child recipe to use the dry hopping for either and track their fermentation progress.

Anyone have a way to set up split batches in Brewer's Friend? I'm brewing 8 gallons of a NEIPA, then splitting the batch post-whirlpool, using the same yeast strain, then different dry hopping. 1st one will be Hallertau Blanc/Galaxy, the 2nd will be Vic Secret/Galaxy. Definitely interested in seeing how these combinations are once finished. I have the recipe set up through whirlpool, just wanted to see if there's a way to have a child recipe to use the dry hopping for either and track their fermentation progress.

I think one of the higher subscriptions can give you this. I just do it manually via copying a recipe and then scaling it to the size of the split batch and making the change there. Doesn't sound like what you're after.

I think one of the higher subscriptions can give you this. I just do it manually via copying a recipe and then scaling it to the size of the split batch and making the change there. Doesn't sound like what you're after.
I've had the lifetime membership for probably 5 years at this point, but it seems there just isn't enough interest yet for doing split batches or partigyle brewing on the site. For partigyle, I just set up 2 recipes and assume my lower efficiency on the 2nd runnings. I suppose for the split batch, I'll just have to copy the recipe and swap out the dry hops for the different ones I'll use. I still keep track of everything separately in Google sheets and primarly use BF to make sure I get my gravities.

Sorry guys! Meant to get the brew in over the weekend, but my baby forbade me. Gonna try to get it done this week and will definitely keep everyone updated. Also if anyone is in south Florida I am more than happy to give out a few samples!

Alright guys, finally did it. It definitely could've gone better, I was a little ill prepared. I've added my brew notes below. I'll let you know the comparison in a few weeks.

Edit: imgur link to photos - https://imgur.com/gallery/SaCQ1RX

Just add a few notes to explain some of the issues:
-I started brewing at 8 at night, finished at around midnight.
-I forgot that I didn't have an efficient way to cool the wort, and my last batch did fine with an overnight cool. I'll probably do this for all my batches going forward. I didn't take into account that it was double my usual volume though, so it was still warm the next morning.
-My final boil volume ended up being 5.25ish, I topped it up with water from my fridge to get to 10gal. We have a giant filter under the sink that removes most of the crap, so it's actually pretty good water.
-I gave away my glass carboy over Christmas so that my friend could get into brewing. I forgot this left me with only one fermenter lid.
-I figured if either of them was going to create positive pressure fast, it would be Voss. I was right.
-The chico yeast that I'm using is cali from cellar science. It's about the same price as us-05, but you get a bit more in the packet.

Notes:

Strike temp 160. Added grain, wrapped in blanket. Added sprinkle gypsum and campden.

Temp dropped to 150. 149 at 30 min, 148 at 60 min. 1 hr mash.

Temp raised to 170 for 10 mins for mashout.

Boil was 1 hr, hops added according to recipe. Yeast fuel and irish moss added at end of boil. Cooled overnight.

Wort was warmer than anticipated when adding yeast, 91 F. Evenly split between two buckets, topped up to 5gal each.
Voss was moved to garage (ferment at whatever), Chico moved to fridge to bring down temp (ferment at 65 F).

Only had one lid, so voss has a makeshift lid made of cling film and a starsan saturated dish cloth. Pray for this beer.
Voss has small krausen 1.25 hours later.
OG: 1.046

Last edited:
Alright guys, finally did it. It definitely could've gone better, I was a little ill prepared. I've added my brew notes below. I'll let you know the comparison in a few weeks.

Edit: imgur link to photos - https://imgur.com/gallery/SaCQ1RX

Just add a few notes to explain some of the issues:
-I started brewing at 8 at night, finished at around midnight.
-I forgot that I didn't have an efficient way to cool the wort, and my last batch did fine with an overnight cool. I'll probably do this for all my batches going forward. I didn't take into account that it was double my usual volume though, so it was still warm the next morning.
-My final boil volume ended up being 5.25ish, I topped it up with water from my fridge to get to 10gal. We have a giant filter under the sink that removes most of the crap, so it's actually pretty good water.
-I gave away my glass carboy over Christmas so that my friend could get into brewing. I forgot this left me with only one fermenter lid.
-I figured if either of them was going to create positive pressure fast, it would be Voss. I was right.
-The chico yeast that I'm using is cali from cellar science. It's about the same price as us-05, but you get a bit more in the packet.

Notes:

Strike temp 160. Added grain, wrapped in blanket. Added sprinkle gypsum and campden.

Temp dropped to 150. 149 at 30 min, 148 at 60 min. 1 hr mash.

Temp raised to 170 for 10 mins for mashout.

Boil was 1 hr, hops added according to recipe. Yeast fuel and irish moss added at end of boil. Cooled overnight.

Wort was warmer than anticipated when adding yeast, 91 F. Evenly split between two buckets, topped up to 5gal each.
Voss was moved to garage (ferment at whatever), Chico moved to fridge to bring down temp (ferment at 65 F).

Only had one lid, so voss has a makeshift lid made of cling film and a starsan saturated dish cloth. Pray for this beer.
Voss has small krausen 1.25 hours later.
OG: 1.046
Cool who needs that fancy lid anyways ;);).
I'm sure itll be just fine without it.

How and how much did you pitch? Direct dry 11 gram into the wort or rehydrated?

How and how much did you pitch? Direct dry 11 gram into the wort or rehydrated?
Dry pitched the packets. The voss was 11g, Chico was 12g. I siphoned the wort into buckets from high up so there was lots of splashing, and added the yeast in at about halfway full.

My bet is that the Voss is gonna be at the finish line before the Chico. My experience with Kviek, minor as it is, was a game changer. I have some 4 batches under my belt with it and the difference it made in the more maltiness that my house brown had was an eye opener! I have done easily as many with the S05 dry from Safale which is supposed to be Chico* and in comparison it seemed "tired" in comparison.

Yeast Comparison Charts (homebrewsupply.com) <= *

After reading about some of the folklore on how kviek was handled by old timers, it was probably a good call to put the jerry rigged lid on the Voss batch, the stuff seems to be much more forgiving to an environment that isn't the paragon of sanitation....errr..I hope the towel was on TOP of the Saran Wrap!

What's the latest on the batches?

Back