What are you drinking right now?

My mind goes to them flavourings distillers use actually I saw something recently that piqued my interest I'll go have a look and link in here...

Here ya go Herm
https://beerco.com.au/collections/v...430&utm_medium=email&utm_source=shopify_email

In case the link don't work
View attachment 27178
These flavouring look really great.

It's an Australian HB store but surely you've got something similar in America...
The brewers at work use these type of flavor extracts from time to time. I'll just add that they can taste artificial depending on the flavor and are VERY strong so the doses have to be carefully measured. If it were me, I wouldn't want to try measuring a small amount to dose each bottle with.

I am just wondering here, has anybody tried adding flavorings to the glass to boost/improve the flavor of an otherwise uninspiring brew? If so, what might you suggest to bring some life to my wheat ale. I have 23 more bottles to drink, and I want to keep my streak of “never a dumper” alive. Not that this is so bad as to dump, it just did not inspire me, except to make me wonder how it can be improved immediately.
I've added basil to a berliner weisse and it was fairly good. Maybe muddle some various herbs? A wheat julep?

I've added basil to a berliner weisse and it was fairly good. Maybe muddle some various herbs? A wheat julep?
Some good ideas, thank you. My inclination would be something like mandarin orange, or tangerine. I should have done the dry hop with Mandarina Bavaria as I planned, but in the end did not do. I opened the second bottle and am drinking it now with a little “syrup” poured from a jar of blackberry jam, which adds a nice flavor.

As for a ”julep” kind of thing, I wonder what muddled mint would do for this beer, since basil and mint are kind of related, I think. Many ideas to play with on this somewhat blank canvas.

The brewers at work use these type of flavor extracts from time to time. I'll just add that they can taste artificial depending on the flavor and are VERY strong so the doses have to be carefully measured. If it were me, I wouldn't want to try measuring a small amount to dose each bottle with.
Thanks Sunfire96 they email me from time to time and this was the latest products quite intreaging but expensive stuff at 40$ / 200ml but as you say the dosing rates must be quite low.

It's a distillation type product another brewer I've watched using it was Plum flavour in a PluM PORTER he did a drop by drop dosing.
Maybe something better suited to larger size batches..

Here's an early taster of Ozarks Q4 Amber Gluten free
20231106_164511.jpg

Oh some malty flavours going on in there it did finish quite high 1.033 so ALOT of residual sweetness that's comming across as malt sweetness...

Last edited:
Thanks Sunfire96 they email me from time to time and this was the latest products quite intreaging but expensive stuff at 40$ / 200ml but as you say the dosing rates must be quite low.

It's a distillation type product another brewer I've watched using it was Plum flavour in a PluM PORTER he did a drop by drop dosing.
Maybe something better suited to larger size batches..

Here's an early taster of Ozarks Q4 Amber Gluten free View attachment 27179
Oh some malty flavours going on in there it did finish quite high 1.033 so ALOT of residual sweetness that's comming across as malt sweetness...
Do you have any ideas as to why such a high finishing gravity? I didn't think you were having any issues getting the homemade malt to finish.

I am just wondering here, has anybody tried adding flavorings to the glass to boost/improve the flavor of an otherwise uninspiring brew? If so, what might you suggest to bring some life to my wheat ale. I have 23 more bottles to drink, and I want to keep my streak of “never a dumper” alive. Not that this is so bad as to dump, it just did not inspire me, except to make me wonder how it can be improved immediately.
My West Coast Wheat was pretty good all round with the exception of it having very little flavour. I don't know if inverting to activate the yeast would improve your wheat ale like it did with my next wheat: Bavarian. Thanks to @Donoroto pointing out that is actually how it is supposed to be served. Maybe worth a try before adding other things.

You could use fruit syrups like the Germans use for Berliner Weisse. Find some locally grown seasonal fruit, there should be some berries still around this time of year in Oregon, and make a reduction/tincture and dose each glass?
I might try that using Blackcurrant Cassis (from France) next time I have a bland tasting beer. It is a bit too concentrated on its own but certainly works well with vodka. Way back in the 80s Lager & Blackcurrant was a very popular drink with goths in England. Apologies for straying slightly off topic.

Do you have any ideas as to why such a high finishing gravity? I didn't think you were having any issues getting the homemade malt to finish.
Nope trying to figure this out for along time now.

I've been averaging around 50% ish attenuation since going Gluten Free it's stumped me thus far.

My bet is unconverted starches or unfermentable starches as conversion is happening sometimes up to 90%.

I don't have any help from Beta Amylases to chop up the big chunks that Alpha Chop up therefore making it hard to the yeast to metabolise these more complex sugar types.

I've recently bought some Amyloglucosidase this will start chopping these big chunks that Alpha Amylase have chopped off and start chopping them up from the non reducing ends to create a more fermentable wort

This is what I thinks going on.

I'm getting great conversion but the sugar profile I'm creating using these exogenous enzymes isn't as highly fermentable as I've been used to....

Last edited:
I will be on the lookout for some of those McKenzie hops, given that the McKenzie River is the source of my drinking and brewing water, and the hops originated here in the Willamette Valley. The aroma/flavor description seems right up my alley. Unfortunately, my lhbs does not carry them, so I will have to look elsewhere.

View attachment 27203My stout, in a glass that I love.

On another note, my wife was kind enough to purchase a bottle of Ribena Blackcurrant concentrate for me. It should arrive soon, and I will try some in both Smooth Stout and Wheat Ale.
Wow looking forward to your impressions.
Love that tight head on the beer herm.

I can honestly say it's crossed my mind in the juice isle before I just didn't know if it's got any preservatives in it so I held back.

I did a apple/Blackcurrent Aldi Cider I think that was start of the year and I remember being underwhelmed by the Blackcurrent maybe some Ribena Blackcurrent syrup woulda brought it to the fore.

First pour of my Schwarzbier. Love how this turned out. Hint of chocolate and coffee from the carafa special. Good malt backbone but balanced well with the hops.View attachment 27215
Caraffa 2 by any chance?
I remember this always gave me chocolate.

Looking great as usual Josh.

Back