What are you drinking right now?

Really enjoying this Q4 Amber.
And yhe Centennial playes really nicely.
I've missed this hop when I taste it I think American.
20231108_175008.jpg

Wow looking forward to your impressions.
Love that tight head on the beer herm.

I can honestly say it's crossed my mind in the juice isle before I just didn't know if it's got any preservatives in it so I held back.

I did a apple/Blackcurrent Aldi Cider I think that was start of the year and I remember being underwhelmed by the Blackcurrent maybe some Ribena Blackcurrent syrup woulda brought it to the fore.
image.jpg
My patience has been tested, waiting for my wife’s online purchase of Ribena Blackcurrent. So today I found this in a little neighborhood market. I will give it a try in my Wheat Ale later today. This might also be an interesting addition to my Smooth Stout, which seems more roasty than previous versions. For some reason I think I might have chosen a different dark roasted malt at the lhbs than was called for in my recipe.

image.jpg
Here is my second attempt, this time pouring some syrup in the glass, then pouring the beer on the syrup. Obviously, this was too much syrup. In any case, the first beer was really nice, with a hint of the berry aroma and flavor. This is good too, it just looks odd.

I am just wondering here, has anybody tried adding flavorings to the glass to boost/improve the flavor of an otherwise uninspiring brew? If so, what might you suggest to bring some life to my wheat ale. I have 23 more bottles to drink, and I want to keep my streak of “never a dumper” alive. Not that this is so bad as to dump, it just did not inspire me, except to make me wonder how it can be improved immediately.
Many years ago, in frequenting an establishment that I am now ashamed to admit frequenting, I imbibed in some local draught.
This local draught required a shake or two of salt to improve the flavor.
One or two shakes of salt and a tap or two on the rim of the glass with said salt shaker made it right!
The waiter would drop two glass's per patron at a time, and was quick to gather up the empties, and drop two fresh pours without being asked, ever...
Maybe a dash of salt?

Worth a try?
I find the cider you can buy here locally, really improves when you add some salt to it

View attachment 27238View attachment 27239My Wheat Ale, right put of the bottle, then with a few drops of boysenberry syrup.
If you want to go off the deep end, I thought of something else a little different this morning:
If you can get it liquified enough, how about some natural peanut butter (no sugar)?
Forgot what kind of wheat you made, but if closer to a Hefe, you could have an Elvis:)
I have been to one of the local breweries here that uses the PB powder with a Hefe, and it is quite good.

If you want to go off the deep end, I thought of something else a little different this morning:
If you can get it liquified enough, how about some natural peanut butter (no sugar)?
Forgot what kind of wheat you made, but if closer to a Hefe, you could have an Elvis:)
I have been to one of the local breweries here that uses the PB powder with a Hefe, and it is quite good.
Mine is an American Wheat Ale, which I had intended to dry hop with Mandarina Bavaria. My target was something close to Tangerine Wheat from Lost Coast Brewery in Eureka, CA. The problem is that I just never got around to adding the dry hops, so though it is a decent beer, there is just something missing. With the boysenberry syrup, the flavor was much improved, though I liked the look of the first attempt better than the second. The second had more of the berry flavor, but would have looked better in an opaque glass.

Peanut butter is not the missing ingredient, at least not for me.Belching Beaver Peanut Butter Milk Stout is an awesome beer that features peanut butter flavor, yum.

Many years ago, in frequenting an establishment that I am now ashamed to admit frequenting, I imbibed in some local draught.
This local draught required a shake or two of salt to improve the flavor.
One or two shakes of salt and a tap or two on the rim of the glass with said salt shaker made it right!
The waiter would drop two glass's per patron at a time, and was quick to gather up the empties, and drop two fresh pours without being asked, ever...
Maybe a dash of salt?
I tried adding a little salt, and it did not hurt the beer. Still, it needed something more, and I think the boysenberry syrup did the trick. Since it was supposed to be a citrus flavored wheat, next I will try some zest of orange, or maybe a slice of lemon or lime.

A Winter Lager! I bet @Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews could dream up a recipe for this!
I’ll look into it, thinking 5.5%ish, dark amber, lean into the caramel malts, balanced hop profile with some kind of a spice added to the fermenter

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1429799/holiday-vacation

Went with Empire Ale instead of lager yeast and some holiday spices added late boil. No warranty expressed or implied, but it sounds pretty good to me, untested as it is…

Last edited:
image.jpg
This is one of my all time favorites, and the inspiration behind my own Wheat Ale. The nose is pure, clean citrus, which comes through in the flavor as well. I popped this beer to clean my palate after a small disaster with my Wheat Ale. After making a beautiful pour with a thick foamy head, I got out the salt shaker to dose the beer with just a shake of sea salt. A light shake of salt turned into a cascade, and my beer was way over salted. Even with an addition of boysenberry syrup, my beer was too salty. Note to self - take a little pinch, then put in only a little, because if does go a long way.

Back