What are you drinking right now?

Just finished mowing after a beautiful rain. Chillin’ on the deck with a Smoked Porter. https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1394279/bb-smoked-porter
First batch of Rapier Wit isn’t quite ready, so can’t have my summer sipper.

image.jpg

This is supposed to be “ruby red” in color, but it’s the blackest ruby I’ve ever seen. I can see a little bit of light at the bottom of the glass, but it’s actually very’clear’. It isn’t cloudy, just very dark. Pretty good bit of Crystal 60 and Chocolate malt in it, perhaps too much for the target color. Some of the color could probably have been had from the LME.
Can definitely taste the cherry wood smoked malt. That’s probably more bitter than the hops. Didn’t like it at first, but was probably just too impatient with a new (to me) beer. Came in around 6.0 ABV, and the recipe says only 27-30 IBU, so maybe raw alcohol and new flavors put me off a little. But, it’s getting better each day that passes. I may try this again but with all grain and a bit longer in the fermenter, and hide it from myself so it has time to properly age/mature.

Latest efforts to reprime the pipeline are starting to pay off. Got a batch of Bell’s Brown crashing, another batch of Rapier Wit that should be done by the weekend, and a batch of Rapier Wit that I bottled on Friday. Was getting a little dismayed at 10 cases of empty bottles sitting on the shelves.

image.jpg
I need some groceries for tonight.
Since they are right across the street from each other, any trip to the Friendly Market requires a stop at The Friendly Garden for a beer. Once again I’m enjoying this very refreshing sour beer from local Gratitude Brewing.
5B182262-F68A-495A-9BC6-1E7D82F78BA7.jpeg

Back