What are you drinking right now?

When you use orange, do you use the whole thing after drying? Except for the seeds, of course. How much fermentable sugar does the dried pulp add. The missus and I both want to get a desiccator for multiple reasons, and just curious how well home dried fruits work in brewing.
I just peeled the zest with a carrot/potato peeler for a batch of Rapier Wit. I used that about 10 minutes before flameout along with some dried peel from the LHBS. I’ve noticed an awful lot of green in their peel supply, meaning it cannot be at peak flavor. I’ve also enhanced it with lemon zest. Any advantage to using it desiccated versus fresh, other than storage? I’d think fresh would impart more flavor to the brew as long as it isn’t added too early.

I don't know.
I've used fresh and dried peel.
Never the whole thing although that's on the agenda now for a saison.
Weight for weight, you need more fresh than dried.
I haven't noticed a taste difference

My international lager

20230805_154337.jpg

I don't know.
I've used fresh and dried peel.
Never the whole thing although that's on the agenda now for a saison.
Weight for weight, you need more fresh than dried.
I haven't noticed a taste difference
Yeah, I pretty much ignored the weight thing, and just put all of the zest from one I peeled in with the dried stuff because the dried stuff I got from the LHBS seems to be a bit flat in taste. Did the same thing with a lemon, which will actually make the orange pop better. Thought about doing this recipe with the zest from maybe 3-4 lemons, or limes, just to see what the difference is.

Yeah, I pretty much ignored the weight thing, and just put all of the zest from one I peeled in with the dried stuff because the dried stuff I got from the LHBS seems to be a bit flat in taste. Did the same thing with a lemon, which will actually make the orange pop better. Thought about doing this recipe with the zest from maybe 3-4 lemons, or limes, just to see what the difference is.
Don't boil it so much and you'll get more of the aroma at the end.
Try a hops stand or Whirlpool with it for 10 - 20mins and see if you like it that way throw in any late addition hops with the zest :)

Don't boil it so much and you'll get more of the aroma at the end.
Try a hops stand or Whirlpool with it for 10 - 20mins and see if you like it that way throw in any late addition hops with the zest :)
So, instead of 10 minutes, drop back to 5? That probably would evaporate a bit less of the citrus oils. Is that going to be long enough for desiccated peel? I normally drop the peel and crushed coriander at the same time (10 minutes) in one muslin bag, so it’s nice and contained and easily disposed of. I knot the bag at the very end so the peel and coriander stay loose in the boil. Then, at flameout, I just grab the hops and additions bags and toss em in the trash to make sure I don’t accidentally poison any neighborhood domestic critters or birds. Dunno if hops would hurt birds, but there’s typically very little food value in any waste from brewing, and I know hops are very bad for dogs. Birds will starve with a belly full of spent grain. They don’t seem the least bit interested in the grain I toss on the compost. I must be getting pretty good efficiency because I don’t even see ants going after the grain. We don’t have a fence (no animals of our own) so we get quite a few escapee pets in our yard. I don’t want to harm them, because they don’t know any better.

Speaking of coriander, can that be run through a grain mill too? I’m well aware the mill would have to be thoroughly cleaned after, but I get the coriander whole and crush it with a rolling pin on the cutting board(still in the ziploc bag), then pour it in with the peel. Probably too little coriander to bother with the extra work for the mill, though. Just curious is all, wondering how many other things the mill would be useful for.

If ever in Philly, please go to Monk’s Cafe. A Belgian beer lover’s heaven.

IMG_1586.jpeg

I have never seen a beer selection quite like this. The draft selection was fantastic and here is a pic of just one of many pages of bottle options.

IMG_1588.jpeg

Thirez Blonde Farmhouse

IMG_1590.jpeg

A Norwegian Porter. (About my 6th beer in, I thought that picture was straight at the time :) )

IMG_1599.jpeg

So, instead of 10 minutes, drop back to 5? That probably would evaporate a bit less of the citrus oils. Is that going to be long enough for desiccated peel? I normally drop the peel and crushed coriander at the same time (10 minutes) in one muslin bag, so it’s nice and contained and easily disposed of. I knot the bag at the very end so the peel and coriander stay loose in the boil. Then, at flameout, I just grab the hops and additions bags and toss em in the trash to make sure I don’t accidentally poison any neighborhood domestic critters or birds. Dunno if hops would hurt birds, but there’s typically very little food value in any waste from brewing, and I know hops are very bad for dogs. Birds will starve with a belly full of spent grain. They don’t seem the least bit interested in the grain I toss on the compost. I must be getting pretty good efficiency because I don’t even see ants going after the grain. We don’t have a fence (no animals of our own) so we get quite a few escapee pets in our yard. I don’t want to harm them, because they don’t know any better.

Speaking of coriander, can that be run through a grain mill too? I’m well aware the mill would have to be thoroughly cleaned after, but I get the coriander whole and crush it with a rolling pin on the cutting board(still in the ziploc bag), then pour it in with the peel. Probably too little coriander to bother with the extra work for the mill, though. Just curious is all, wondering how many other things the mill would be useful for.
Yeah I'd say hop stand 30 mins would dissapate any volatile compounds just like in the hops.

If your worrying about sanitation the hit wort will do that in your hop stand I add spice and fruit here when brewing as well as dry hop I just treat it like hops.

Hey just try it once and see if it's for you experiment a little even if you rack some wort off into a sepperate container and add the peal and coriander for that batch sepperate than do a comparrison so see if your noticing a difference...

If ever in Philly, please go to Monk’s Cafe. A Belgian beer lover’s heaven.

View attachment 26210

I have never seen a beer selection quite like this. The draft selection was fantastic and here is a pic of just one of many pages of bottle options.

View attachment 26211

Thirez Blonde Farmhouse

View attachment 26212

A Norwegian Porter. (About my 6th beer in, I thought that picture was straight at the time :) )

View attachment 26213
Wow, thanks for sharing that! Pretty awesome to see bottle selections on the same page ranging from $10 to $150.

Yeah I'd say hop stand 30 mins would dissapate any volatile compounds just like in the hops.

If your worrying about sanitation the hit wort will do that in your hop stand I add spice and fruit here when brewing as well as dry hop I just treat it like hops.

Hey just try it once and see if it's for you experiment a little even if you rack some wort off into a sepperate container and add the peal and coriander for that batch sepperate than do a comparrison so see if your noticing a difference...
Would 5 minutes be enough to get best efficiency/flavoring from the orange peel? The coriander? I'm well aware that boiling liquid will sanitize anything, which is why I asked why someone would use Vodka if they were going to put the peel in the boil. I can see it for 'dry-hopping' with the peel, if Vodka indeed is a satisfactory sanitizer. But why not just use some orange extract during the fermentation so that it gets thoroughly mixed in? Lotsa ways to get the citrus in, and it's sorta like engineering. If you want 5 ONLY ways to do something, just ask 5 engineers. If you want 5 only ways to add an adjunct, just ask 5 different brewers.

Would 5 minutes be enough to get best efficiency/flavoring from the orange peel? The coriander? I'm well aware that boiling liquid will sanitize anything, which is why I asked why someone would use Vodka if they were going to put the peel in the boil. I can see it for 'dry-hopping' with the peel, if Vodka indeed is a satisfactory sanitizer. But why not just use some orange extract during the fermentation so that it gets thoroughly mixed in? Lotsa ways to get the citrus in, and it's sorta like engineering. If you want 5 ONLY ways to do something, just ask 5 engineers. If you want 5 only ways to add an adjunct, just ask 5 different brewers.
Yeah sure would Roadie you do whatever your comfortable with man.

You know 20 mins at hopstand will also kill anything ;)

I think the vodka is more to extract/dissolves the citrus oils than for sanitising, althoigh it would do that as well.
The oils dissolve better in alcohol than in water

My efforts this evening
My lager is drinking good now fully carbed and that orange flavour and beer has melded together nicely an easy drinking thirst quencher
20230809_172408.jpg

It's head retention is good too
20230809_173038.jpg

Happy with head all the way to the bottom but beer didn't sit around long :)

And my Brown or more so Amber tasting some nice malt notes but that roasted rice thing is still there sorta like popcorn thing but it's good enough for me
20230809_183423.jpg

Back