What are you drinking right now?

This one might fit in better than I was expecting:

MyDSC21-098.jpg

My four month old Darker Brown Ale, ABV:5%. Yes it is pretty much that dark. Apart from the obvious strength it is more like a dark mild. Very thin head but the lacing stayed all the way down with each glass and I had a few of these. This was the 1 gallon flat keg from a couple of weeks ago that I re-primed/kegged and I can't believe how well the carbonation has worked.

In the meantime I opened the 2 gallon keg off the same batch which was also flat but I have a CO2 injector for that size.

Very different experience considering they were the same batch. 1 gallon fits in the fridge, 2 gallon does not.

Oh and I finally got to town to buy some new batteries for my beer camera.

Onto some malted hot chocolate now.

Dark days in paradise.

First kid-free night in a while and out with the missus. Having a sampler at Siluria Brewing Company

0B0B7586-6063-496A-8965-91605139A138.jpeg
A442257E-0F9B-4CCB-ADC9-4331DC9DBC76.jpeg

BoxcarBlonde, Warrior Red, Buck Creek Stout, and Pale Ale 238.
Missus is having a Blackberry wine that’s quite yummy too.

Taste notes:

Boxcar.
About as close as you can get for malt/bitterness balance. Good, but I probably wouldn’t write home about it. Whelmed, not overwhelmed, but entirely drinkable.
Warrior Red.
Good malt flavor, almost sweet, but the hops are hiding behind it for a good balance

Pale 238
New (to me) flavoring very much like juniper. Reminded me of a few gin and tonics I’ve had. Jury is still out, but the verdict is that I need to figure out what hops delivered the juniper flavor. Whelmed, again and very curious about this one.

Buck Creek Stout
Less dark malt reduces the burnt coffee taste. Good balance of bitterness and malt. Wonderful molasses nose. Quite tasty.

Last edited:
Don’t doubt it’s tasty, but Oktoberfest??!! It’s early-mid August!! :eek:

Does Sierra Nevada put their Christmas lights up before Halloween??!! :p
Anytime is good for that style. I just about did the happy dance at Total Wine last weekend. Last year, it was a pain in the ass to find. I'll take it when I can get it.

Had another sampler last night and a pizza with the missus while a busker entertained and the thunderstorms were having a tantrum outside. Here’s the tap list.
35F037B2-51BE-49B7-AA7F-8DCF1F139A49.jpeg
I had a 4 oz sample of everything except the Quarry IPA (72 IBU is too bitter for me), the 007sour, and the Pomegranate Wheat.

Best part of the evening was the drinks were shouted by the barkeep. Turns out she’s the mother of my 15 year old granddaughter’s boyfriend, and wouldn’t let me pay. Can’t beat free beer and wine. I made sure to leave a generous tip.

Had another sampler last night and a pizza with the missus while a busker entertained and the thunderstorms were having a tantrum outside. Here’s the tap list.
View attachment 26284I had a 4 oz sample of everything except the Quarry IPA (72 IBU is too bitter for me), the 007sour, and the Pomegranate Wheat.

Best part of the evening was the drinks were shouted by the barkeep. Turns out she’s the mother of my 15 year old granddaughter’s boyfriend, and wouldn’t let me pay. Can’t beat free beer and wine. I made sure to leave a generous tip.
How was the ESB?

How was the ESB?
Not too bad, really. I don’t normally drink bitter beer, but that was surprisingly tasty and not nearly as bitter as I expected. I’m guessing it was the malt/bitterness balance thing. Not sure I’d call 5.1% extra strong, either, but it was quite smooth for what they called a bitter. The stout would make ya slap yer tongue for having too much fun. That was yummy stuff. The Pina Colada had good coconut flavor, and pineapple in the nose, but couldn’t really taste any pineapple. The Japanese lager had an interesting taste., and was quite low ABV, sorta like what beer used to be in Alabama (3.5%).

I should probably have written some notes for the second sampler, but was too busy eating pizza to keep my belly button from rubbing a blister on my backbone.

Can’t really say there was anything I tried that I wouldn’t try again.

And now that I have a connection with the brewery…..

Just had a Smoked Porter and now a Rapier Wit after a very busy day messing with bottles outside with 101F heat index and at least 90% humidity. @Sandy Feet, you can have your Flardy weather back. I got wetter than the bottles just from sweat. Soaked to the bone. I don’t normally sweat that much unless I do something silly like using the brush mower.

I now have 5 cases of clean/sanitized empties, 4 cases of newly bottled beer, and 2 more cases that I’m drinking from. How the heck did I wind up with so many bottles? Scary part is that I have at least 3 more cases stored in 6-pack cartons.

I reckon I will put some of the next batch in growlers.

Last edited:

Back