Water chemicals Questions

Mastoras007

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
You would need to know your beginning water profile, then add those to suit.
If you are using tap water currently, my advice would be to ignore these additions until you have had time to research an learn about water chemistry.
My opinion is that those are very high levels for that style of beer, but others may disagree.

As you are a begining brewer, I would suggest that you keep it simple. You can make great beer without making any water ion additions. Continue learning to brew, and learn about the more advanced aspects of brewing over time.

hello i will like to ask a question about water ajusting
For example i want to execute this recipe: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/356952/nrden-bru-czech-pilsner-plze-
i see this recipe have water chemicals indicators , Gypsum,Table Salt,Lactic acid and Calcium Chloride (dihydrate)
how can i use this numners? i need to have water with 0% at those chemicals ? for example water from osomis?
or i use any water and i'm adding thoose in to it??
Theaaaanks!
The amounts of those chemicals is what that brewer used to make his water equal the "Target Profile". Your water is probably different, so you must calculate how much of those chemicals you need to use to equal the Target Profile. The recipe calculator links to a water calculator, it is easy.

1. You can use RO water, this makes it easy. Not necessary. If you do use RO water (purified water from osmosis), the chemicals are all zero, so you really need to add some, especially calcium, which the mash needs.

2. You can use your house water, but it must be tested to find what is in it already. In the USA, such a test is about $50.

3. It is not required to use any chemicals. The beer might be a little better, but the effects are usually small.
Compare this to cooking pasta: how different is the pasta, when you use salt in the water or no salt?

Adding these Brewing Salts (brewing name for chemicals) is a complicated topic, so don't obsess over it too much, because of the reason said in #3. Above.

I use a spreadsheet called EZwater. Makes adding water salts alot easier.

But as other said. You need to know what your water report is so you know what to add.

If you get RO water then just consider it zero

Just my $0.02, it can take a good beer to a great beer if done right. Or a good beer to a bad beer done wrong, lol

I use a spreadsheet called EZwater. Makes adding water salts alot easier.

But as other said. You need to know what your water report is so you know what to add.

If you get RO water then just consider it zero

Just my $0.02, it can take a good beer to a great beer if done right. Or a good beer to a bad beer done wrong, lol
All very true @Minbari !

I would add that some consider water to be the "final frontier" in learning about brewing.
From the many discussions we have had in your other thread it is safe to say that you are at the beginning of your brewing adventure.
Your learning curve is steep right now, I strongly suggest that you leave water profile until later on when you have learned more about the brewing process.
Brewing knowledge is a mountain to climb, and you have just arrived at base camp.
In my opinion water profile isn't something that you should really be worried about right now.

This is why I suggested that you rebrew the same recipe multiple times so that you aren't adding in different variables.
Chef's go to school for years, and cook the same things over and over until they "get them right".
I know that you already have the ingredients for this recipe, so go ahead and brew it, but after this batch, pick either this recipe, or the other one, and brew it until you are getting consistent results.

Theanks for your replys.
ok I understand now, so those numbers is if your water is all those set to 0, this is the numbers of chemicals need to add.

Theanks for your replys.
ok I understand now, so those numbers is if your water is all those set to 0, this is the numbers of chemicals need to add.
Correct. In general.
But sometimes you might see a recipe where someone gives their water chemistry and then what they added to their water.

Although how do you think to make this my first lager recipe?
Looks simple single malt, no dry hoops, the ibu and abv is real close to my preference.
I will not use any chemicals just water from my Carbon filter.
I this will be the recipe I'm going to practice again and again (reusing yeast)

Although how do you think to make this my first lager recipe?
Looks simple single malt, no dry hoops, the ibu and abv is real close to my preference.
I will not use any chemicals just water from my Carbon filter.
I this will be the recipe I'm going to practice again and again (reusing yeast)
Good recipe. Water from the carbon filter is good.
Just remember this recipe is for 20 liters! I think you make smaller batches??

Good recipe. Water from the carbon filter is good.
Just remember this recipe is for 20 liters! I think you make smaller batches??
Yes I will scale it anyway!

Best money I spent was a test of my well water by Wards Labs. The test explained (gave information to figure out) why my brown ales were great and the IPA's were bitter. If you start with RO water, this is not relevant. But it is neat to find your well water makes at least one great brew style.

Back