You know you did it wrong when...

I'm wondering if my dip tube is seated properly, so I took the fitting off the keg. The spring jumped straight inside the open and full keg. Luckily, I remembered that I had a telescopic magnetic pickup tool that I got from my father in law's garage years ago. I'd never used it before, but it is sanitized now!

experimenting right now in the next few weeks. I'm making a guess that I've been "doing it wrong" by not letting the yeast "finish up" as I've heard some people say.

So, even though my beers have definitely finished fermentation by now, I'm going to let them sit for at least a full 14 days before racking, all in an effort to eliminate some off flavors, or some young overly yeast biting flavors.

experimenting right now in the next few weeks. I'm making a guess that I've been "doing it wrong" by not letting the yeast "finish up" as I've heard some people say.

So, even though my beers have definitely finished fermentation by now, I'm going to let them sit for at least a full 14 days before racking, all in an effort to eliminate some off flavors, or some young overly yeast biting flavors.
Yep I struggle in that department too very rarely do I let my brew sit once fermented for more than a week:rolleyes:.

I cold crash at day 10. Haven't noticed any issues with off flavors.

I cold crash at day 10. Haven't noticed any issues with off flavors.
I'd let the beer ferment for at least two weeks whether racking or not. The only reason to rack the beer is to improve clarity and in my case, to free up my primary fermentor. "Biting" flavors may well be yeast that haven't flocculated out. Racking is useful to me to get the beer off the trub and start the clarification process and once primary fermentation is done, it's done. You can rack any time once the gravity is stable.

I'd let the beer ferment for at least two weeks whether racking or not. The only reason to rack the beer is to improve clarity and in my case, to free up my primary fermentor. "Biting" flavors may well be yeast that haven't flocculated out. Racking is useful to me to get the beer off the trub and start the clarification process and once primary fermentation is done, it's done. You can rack any time once the gravity is stable.

I rack straight from primary into the keg. Curious why 14 days is the magic number?

I rack straight from primary into the keg. Curious why 14 days is the magic number?
Nothing magic about it - it's just a good first approximation at how long you'll go from pitching yeast to reasonably clear beer. Some take more, some take less, biggest variable there is how flocculant the yeast is.

Nothing magic about it - it's just a good first approximation at how long you'll go from pitching yeast to reasonably clear beer. Some take more, some take less, biggest variable there is how flocculant the yeast is.

Thanks. Was just curious. I see lots of people saying two weeks but never knew what the reason was.

@BoomerBrian i have found the same thing as in no dramas racking ales into keg 7-8 days after pitch. I go 2 weeks or so on larger and condition in keg. As Nosey said it also frees up my chamber for next brew.

With a healthy pitch all my ales are at FG within 4-5 days or sooner , ramp temps up for 3 days while yeasties clean up then dry hop on a ramp down for cold crash with polyclar and keg .
Grain to glass in 21 days

... 3 of your 8 kegs (6 tap keezer) are empty!! I do have plenty ready to package. Just gotta get a round tuit!

... 3 of your 8 kegs (6 tap keezer) are empty!! I do have plenty ready to package. Just gotta get a round tuit!
here ya go mate
roundtuit.jpg

Hard to find these ones .

All of my taps are dry for now , ordered 2 extraintertaps and 2 extra kegs and surprise surprise they arrived overnight
should have 2 taps up within a few days and 2 more next weekend

Last edited:

Back