You know you did it wrong when...

I'm wondering about buying two more kegs. The idea would be to prime them. Some of my beers sit a month or longer in secondary. Might as well keg them earlier than that. They can sit at room temp in the keg and naturally carbonate over that same period of neglect. Chill time 1 day, ready to drink next day!

PS What's the Cornelius keg capacity down under, according to the squirrel??

https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/brew-sessions-on-trial.3637/

Last edited:
I'm wondering about buying two more kegs. The idea would be to prime them. Some of my beers sit a month or longer in secondary. Might as well keg them earlier than that. They can sit at room temp in the keg and naturally carbonate over that same period of neglect. Chill time 1 day, ready to drink next day!

PS What's the Cornelius keg capacity down under, according to the squirrel??

https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/brew-sessions-on-trial.3637/

The capacity of a corny doesn't change my friend :p still 5 of your silly gallons or 19 proper litres or 45 425 ml/13 fl oz servings .
Keg conditioning is another option i want to try , especially for my clone of the number 1 selling local beer here which is only sold keg or bottle conditioned and pours with suspended yeast .
I have been told to reduce the length of the diptube by 15 mm to allow room for extra yeast to settle and reduce the priming rate by 25%

I heard about reducing priming rate. I won't cut my tube, though. I wouldn't add yeast at conditioning. I'm sure some will be produced, but it'll come out first.

When well hang on ill explain...

So when i transfer my beer from fermenter to keg i tie a little baggie on the end of transfer hose to catch and hop particles or stray trub i dont wanna be drinking down the track.

Right so tonight i get a sweet transfer right to dip tube im pumped perfect final volume (no adding extras to bottles and piss farting round) patting meself on back saying good work mate when i do to remove transfer hose from keg :eek: its stuck!!@#!#:mad:. Somehow my little tie rope to tie baggie on end of transfer hose has looped itself under my dip tube:eek: so i had to remove the whole tib tube to get my transfer hose back! Well will soon know all about oxidation:p.

Last edited:
i really did it wrong yesterday , hop spider sank just before whirlpool and 3 oz of cascade cones along with 4.7 oz pellets went free range , blocked up my ball valve on transfer and made me swear a few times .
ended up pouring whole contents of kettle into a spare FV , trub and hops included
Since i no chill and wasnt planning on fermenting that batch yet i had no yeast ready to pitch so now it's a lottery as to whether i can get yeast pitched before any bugs can take over ...on upside it smelled fantastic and really hope i manage to get this batch fermented and on tap

i really did it wrong yesterday , hop spider sank just before whirlpool and 3 oz of cascade cones along with 4.7 oz pellets went free range , blocked up my ball valve on transfer and made me swear a few times .
ended up pouring whole contents of kettle into a spare FV , trub and hops included
Since i no chill and wasnt planning on fermenting that batch yet i had no yeast ready to pitch so now it's a lottery as to whether i can get yeast pitched before any bugs can take over ...on upside it smelled fantastic and really hope i manage to get this batch fermented and on tap
If its any consolation my brew day didn't to plan either, especially the mash part. I started late 9ish and I decided to double my volume, but in the same mash tun/ kettle...surprise, surprise it didn't work...I ended up scooping warm soggy dough into another pan and doing two mashes. Sparging was a bit of a headache. Strangely, I ended up with better efficiency than normal...weird. With a bigger volume I couldn't cool down the wort as I normally do and couldn't add my aroma steep hop addition. It ended up in the fermentor as a pre-pitch addition. That might work out well too. Finally, finished at 2am. Weird how the train wrecks work out sometimes.

If its any consolation my brew day didn't to plan either, especially the mash part. I started late 9ish and I decided to double my volume, but in the same mash tun/ kettle...surprise, surprise it didn't work...I ended up scooping warm soggy dough into another pan and doing two mashes. Sparging was a bit of a headache. Strangely, I ended up with better efficiency than normal...weird. With a bigger volume I couldn't cool down the wort as I normally do and couldn't add my aroma steep hop addition. It ended up in the fermentor as a pre-pitch addition. That might work out well too. Finally, finished at 2am. Weird how the train wrecks work out sometimes.
So true roll wit th it my friend all I'm thinking at that stage is keep it sanitary lol:D. There ain't a Brewer here that ain't God who hasn't had a thing go wrong on brew day. It makes you a better Brewer and in the end makes you a better Brewer.! Throw a spanner in my works and my ale may just turn into a saison lol l....​

You open he chamber door after cold crash and find empty blow off tube jar...

Had 4 carboys to crash, only room for 1 in my normal freezer...
Gee, what if all I did was drop temps in chamber and help the poor thing by crowding the carboys with frozen bottles of water to help with the extra latent heat.

Worked ok, got down to 43F. Could be worse. Thought about crashing further in freezer but was clear enough as it was.

Back to the point, I got out of routine and forgot to empty the jar full of blowoff and prepare for suckback during cooling....Oops!
2017-08-19 13.19.57.jpg

You open he chamber door after cold crash and find empty blow off tube jar...

Had 4 carboys to crash, only room for 1 in my normal freezer...
Gee, what if all I did was drop temps in chamber and help the poor thing by crowding the carboys with frozen bottles of water to help with the extra latent heat.

Worked ok, got down to 43F. Could be worse. Thought about crashing further in freezer but was clear enough as it was.

Back to the point, I got out of routine and forgot to empty the jar full of blowoff and prepare for suckback during cooling....Oops!View attachment 1820
Yep I have a tap at bottom of my fermentor it always gets frozen same with airlock so what happens with mine is my lid sucks right in and stays like that lol. When transfer time comes I have to leave it out to thaw out awhile to free up tap.

You elevate your brew to siphoning height that’s been in secondary for two weeks, and your air lock rattles because you never put water in it.

Only got 20 bottles out of the hop sludge IPA and I'm swapping away 19 of them .
I had to rack to a secondary for a few days to make sure I didn't get hop floaties in bottles for some of the states harshest critics and lost a lot more than expected.

On the upside I could smell the sample from 6 feet away

When you decide to completely disassemble and clean your 6 taps, hoses, and ball lock fittings. While the parts are soaking, you notice your beer glass is empty! I did not think that through!

Would you believe my wife had to remind me I have one? I have a picnic tap, second regulator, second CO2 tank, and a trash can that holds a keg and a large bag of ice. My friends and neighbors love me at their parties!

Would you believe my wife had to remind me I have one? I have a picnic tap, second regulator, second CO2 tank, and a trash can that holds a keg and a large bag of ice. My friends and neighbors love me at their parties!
A well prepared home brewer is a good asset to a neighborhood.:D
As well as a wife who likes beer and has a good memory, but you didn't admit you spaced it did you?

When your cleaning out your erlymyer flask at the end of brew day and realise your stir bar is missingo_O. Yep it's kickin it with the yeasties at my blondie party in the ferm chamber:p.

When you start to chill the lager (in your temp controlled freezer chamber) you made yesterday, but it shows to be getting warmer and warmer. Then you notice you never inserted the thermoprobe into the well! Luckily, I was only 0.5°C colder than I should’ve been.

Last edited:
I coulda had a wortcicle!

Back