You know you did it wrong when...

Spigots, huh? 21 years of brewing, I’ve never had any vessel that had one, other than my bottling bucket. Here’s a handy tip: make sure it’s closed before you put your water in!!

ha ha your not the only one if you read the brew session steps its on the list ;)

Been there done that. Water aint to bad but wort yeah that sucks really gives your brew house efficiency a hit:p.

Spigots, huh? 21 years of brewing, I’ve never had any vessel that had one, other than my bottling bucket. Here’s a handy tip: make sure it’s closed before you put your water in!!
There are two kinds of brewers: Those who have left the spigot open and those who have yet to. I belong to the former group....

Nice! I imagine there are two types of homebrewers when it comes to spigots. Those who have left one open, and those who will!
Ooops. Should have read the rest of the thread before replying....

You’re such an Honest Abe!!

I’ve got 5 ales in secondary by my workbench. There’s a rather light colored one that according to my notes is a brown porter. I’ve never mixed up which beers are which. Until now.

Made a lacto starter for a raspberry Berliner to kettle sour , all looked good so started heating strike water .
Double checked starter and had a smell before mashing in and by the gods it stunk ! Putrid doesn't even begin to describe it ...suffice to say I postponed brewing and made a fresh starter with a little more care this time from a pure strain of lacto

+1 on the open spigot, although mine was made worse by double checking and thinking "only an idiot would do that"
I ferment in my room which sits at a steady 18c, I didn't want to move the FV and disturb the yeast, my room is carpeted. Bugger!
I love wet and dry hoovers :) I are a idiot!

Oh and when you batch prime while bottling and sample the last that won't be enough for a bottle and it tastes like syrup, hmmm...

had a bad one, call me lazy, I was filling bottles from my kegs and I had the freezer door shut and a bunch of stuff on top so I just propped up the lid enough to get my arm in there and pop on the quick connect and went on my way of bottling a whole keg, the darn thing ran out and poured foam after a case and I though whaaaaat, this is messed up, so I unpacked everything opened the lid and 1/4 of the freezer was full of beer :eek: I guess I didn't get a good latch on the quick connect, 4 beech towels later and 1 pissed of bottler and its back to normal :mad:

I would press the "like" button, but that's not a desirable response. So let me just say.... I feel for you. I am forever forgetting to close valves, but have yet lost more than a couple ounces.

I had a 1/2” (1 1/4 cm, you’re welcome, squirrel) of beer in the bottom of my keezer once. Forgot to tighten a fitting. It was a fine misty spray!

Blocked dip tube ! After allowing too much hop matter into keg I managed to get it pouring .
Then some idiot looks like me moved that keg to get to another one and stirred all the hop gunk up .
After removing poppet 8 times to clear it ended up cutting dip tube back by 5/16 ths to get it pouring again .
karma I guess since I was laughing at a friend with same problem only last week

My 1st step when working in the brewery is set the mop in a quick to grab spot. Concrete floor cleans easily though.

I pulled the grain bag out of the kettle, slid the plastic colander under and put the bag in to drain. Pushed on the bag with a spoon to encourage faster draining. Colander warped, #12 of grain plus colander dropped in, splashing hot wort everywhere. Geez that stuff reeks when it hits a hot burner :( Stings too :eek:

I made a Kolsch 3 weeks ago, fermented in my garage at 12.8°C. The smack pack never swelled. I’ve seen that once before. The beer fermented that time, but it took a while. This time, my OG was 6 points lower than the expected 1.048. Today, it reads 1.020. And it’s dark. It shouldn’t be dark, it’s a light colored beer. It’s a Kolsch, but it looks like a brown ale. What could make a beer get darker like that? Could an infection do that? It didn’t taste putrid, but it sure doesn’t taste anything like my Kolsch is supposed to taste.

Back